Amateur I know - How to back up old iPhone to restore on new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jkess, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jkess macrumors member

How do I properly do this so that as much as possible is saved? Do I manually back up to my computer, then when I plug new phone into computer hit "restore back up"?

2. Audifan1502 macrumors member

Search the forums! Why ask people to do it for you?

3. jkess thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I did before posting. I didn't see any with the full answer I was looking for. Which is why I posted. But thank you for your suggestion!

4. bigsid05 macrumors newbie

Yes, manually back up to computer and restore using that backup. Everything will restore except your media (music/videos) if those are manually managed.

5. jkess thread starter macrumors member

Perfect, thank you!

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Backing up to the computer and then restoring to the new phone is probably the quickest way to do it.

The other way of course is making a iCloud backup from your old phone then choosing "Restore from iCloud" when booting up your new phone. Be sure the old iPhone no longer connects to the internet (Airplane mode) after you make the backup. Also, before restoring to your new phone, be sure to disable "Find my iPhone" on your old phone.

If you backup/restore from your computer, before starting make sure that all of the apps in iTunes have the latest versions. If you don't do that, you will be restoring old versions of apps to your new iPhone.

7. KayDeForce macrumors newbie

Do I need to download the new iOS on my old phone before backing up and restoring on the new iPhone?

8. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

plug in old phone, back up on itunes either cloud or computer.

plug in new iphone, select restore from backup.

select backup

ENJOY YOUR NEW IPHONE :)

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You don't have to update the old phone to iOS 8. Just back it up. Then plug in new phone to restore that backup onto iOS 8.