Amateur iPod Ad // Thought I'd share ...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by razorianfly, Mar 26, 2008.

1. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I had to create some digital media to put on a disc for a Uni interview I'm attending next week. I've never touched iMovie, so I thought i'd give it a shot and put my iPod touch to good use.

Link to iPod Ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hejpKVAkfhQ

It stars me .. :rolleyes:

anyway let me know what you guys think ..

it's a rough draft atm ..

R-Fly

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Not too bad..

The top of the video and some of the left side is very dark in comparison to the right where your blinds are

3. Bokser Guest

Hm..so..what did you do basically, except "waving your arms to the rhytm of the music" and applying a colourful emboss effect? :p

4. tacofreak macrumors member

Thats some nifty colors you got there son,but ya i agree one more time with the punching your gonna cap your isight....:eek:

5. iLoveiPod macrumors regular

change your dance moves up man. its just the same"thrusting ipod at camera" move.

6. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Not bad, but it doesn't really show off the device well at all. Meh. But I must say great effort.

I couldn't make something 1/100th as good as that in a million years, lol, so I'm just playing simon cowell here...

7. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Thanks for all your comments, I'm new to iMovie and video editing so your improvements and suggestions are highly valued. It was really just a rough draft I wanted evaluating. :)

R-Fly

8. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Installer?!

Does one of the touches have installer app on it?

9. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

10. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Thanks again guys/gals for all your comments! :)

Your advice is much appreciated.

No, no installer.app. I have a few web clips which coincidentally pushes the iTunes Wifi Music Store icon to the last position on the screen.

R-Fly

11. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Nice efforts so far. I would do a few things differently, so take them or leave them, as these are merely suggestions. :)

First, I would focus on the target audience of the Touch, which basically means anyone who doesn't already own one ;). They may view this and have no idea what you are "selling", and may never have seen a Touch before. Showing off some of it's features in a manner that they could easily view, rather than using special effects to mask the product would be nice.

The Touch is a sexy looking piece of hardware, and you never actually showed it off. The rapid flailing of the product didn't let me know what it was, what it does, etc.

Your intro text took too long to come in focus for me to actually read it, and was gone too quickly by the time it did for me to know what it said. This is an easy fix by expanding the amount of time it shows in the time line. The energy was great, but too much energy can detract from showing off the product just as much as the effect filter. Remember, the purpose of a commercial is to make your audience want the product. Perhaps a nice shot of the Touch at the end with it's screen showing a basic function that doesn't lead others to ask if you have something installed not normally seen on a new model?

Other than that, nice job. iMovie is such a fun program, and I'm glad you're experimenting with it, and learning it's functions. I hope you continue to work on this, and would love to see the final version, as well as the in-betweens. Thanks for sharing. :)

12. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

After taking all of your advice into consideration ...

Attempt 2

LINK CHANGED DUE TO YOUTUBE UPLOAD PROBLEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qww6MLDJntM

This video features images from apple.com.
    The copyright and distribution rights of the images remain the sole property of Apple Inc.

R-Fly

13. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Well done! I was able to read every word in the initial text this time. You showed off the product, told us what it does, and even gave a profile shot to demonstrate how thin it is. Excellent. If I didn't already own one, I'd want one. ;)

14. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Great improvement! Well done. Music pretty good too.

15. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Thanks 'digitalnicotine' and 'queshy' for your comments. :)

You'll be pleased to know I am still at work on the ad, and will post further enhanced versions soon.

R-Fly

16. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

It's not a bad attempt at an advert. Good job :)

If you don't mind me asking, what age are you?

17. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

18. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Very, very clever! I like it! :)

It's a bit short though.

19. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

This will be hard, but...if you can make the ipod itself look normal (meaning: without effects), it would look more like an iPod commercial. Not sure iMovie is up to the task, but if you had After Effects or something like it, you could try having the iPod screen be all one color (just create a picture of solid green or blue, upload it to the iPod and have that open during "filming"), then key it out and replace it with your actual iPod screen.

I'd also ditch the stills of the iPod altogether.

20. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Thanks, I'm 17.

Thanks, i'll take your advice on board.

R-Fly