Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
They did the 45mm f2.8 Tessar lens without the flash automation in Contax-Yashica mount. It was a belter of a lens adapted to the Sony A7. I only let mine go because I got the native 55mm f1.8. Doddle to focus, super sharp. A wee cracker!

I've probably been into photography for ~15 years, and for a long time Tessar-type lenses were all I had in medium format. Since I've largely started using Japanese SLRs in MF, most of my lenses are a bit more "modern" but most of my LF lenses are also Tessars.

It honestly is a timeless design, and modern technology has made them even better. The 45mm 2.8 AI-P Nikkor that was made from 2000-2006 is probably the highest contrast lens I've ever used, although like all Tessars it does need to be stopped down 2-3 stops to sharpen the corners.

It's a little early for sexy talk, fellas. lol

Reactions: MacRy and kenoh

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Not to drag too much off into flash talk, but here's another fun one courtesy of Nikon. This is available on the SB-800 and I think any AF new enough to read the data from "D" lenses(provided, of course, that you're using a D lens). I know the SB-600 doesn't have this mode, but some others may have it.

IMG_4980.jpg

In any case, this is called "reverse guide number mode." Basically, you set an aperture on the camera and then focus. The flash takes the distance and matches the output to it. It will account for the flash zoom setting and tries to compensate for bounce, although there are too many variables in bounce for it to be overly reliable. Still, it's a nice method that's consistent shot to shot if you and your subjects are in the same place, although it can take a bit of playing to get it dialed in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.