Amateur question about mail....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wiggum, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Wiggum macrumors member

Quick question, thanks in advance for the help...

Have an iMac, Macbook Pro, and iPad. Email is synced using mail for a Gmail and Yahoo mail account.

It annoys me that I need to delete the same message on all of the devices.... they aren't synced??? I would like to delete on one and it deletes on the others as well...

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They disappear for me, when I delete it from one device.

What email provider are you using iCloud? Try clicking on the get new mail icon to see if they sync.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I know gmail supports IMAP which is the method to keep all your devices' inboxes in sync. I'm not sure about Yahoo. So first of all do you have POP or IMAP enabled for gmail? If it's POP, that would explain a lot. For Yahoo, if IMAP is available, I suggest you enable it.

I use iCloud (lightly) and gmail (mainly) for email. Every time I touch my inbox on any of my Macs or iThings, the change shows up immediately on every other device I own. The changes I have tested are marking messages as junk, not junk, read, unread as well as deleting messages. All of these things work across devices for me if I make sure all my devices are set to use IMAP and not POP.