Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
Ok I am working and self teaching myself slowly using these programs to work on a video compilation. I recieve the raw videos in DVD Video format(from Camcorder>VHS>DVD and I cant get the AV quality). My question is I did all the editing and everything is fine and clean. When burning to dvd to view on television everything is running fine except the last 1/4 of the movie where it starts getty choppy, the slow moving camera gets all stuttering. I hope i am using the correct wording to explain this but I have no idea why this portion of the movie is problematic. Also when iam in iMovie and move to last 1/4 part of the movie the computer gets hella slow and hard to move.

I was told it might be lack of ram but I doubt it since the first half of the movie is fine. Even breaking the movie in 4 pieces and render smaller pieces I get the same results. And I ripped this DVD in handbrake.

I hope my problem is clear enough for someone who may be able to help.

Thank you.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
if it's YOUR work, you shouldn't need handbrake

be aware that using Handbrake, you lose a generation in quality

Mactheripper is supposedly better as far as quality is concerned

as told to me by a true professional

mac's my homie

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
South Carolina
I had something like that happen in a video I was making a while back. My computer was acting like it couldn't handle it and was lagging terribly. It only happened that once, and I've done much much more complicated stuff and my computer has ran flawlessly. My thought is, somewhere along the line the last 1/4 of the project became, for lack of a better term, "difficult" for the computer to read. My suggestion is to save the iMove externally, delete everything concerning the project and start from scratch and see if it starts doing the same thing. This will let you know if it's a upgrade issue, or bad video files.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
This is a Wedding Movie that was from Cheap Proffesional Camera( I didn't do the recording so I don't have access to original source)>VHS>DVD>Ripped it both Handbrake and Mac the Ripper

in both cases it does the same result, the same area gets very choppy and my computers get all boggled down unable to process information the second to last part of the movie. The system I am working on is a Mac Pro with just 1 gig of ram. Still waiting for price break on ram more than what I see.

Ok I have the original DVD duplicate on my computer is there a way to
DVD>DV conversion since DV has a pretty good quality?

I lost all approaches, I redone this project from scratch three times each time trying different compression method.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.