Amazed about my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cybert, Jun 16, 2012.

1. cybert macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So, as there was no update announced at WWDC I was tired of waiting and bought myself the iMac 27" core i7 16gb RAM and 2 GB Video Ram version.

And WOW! I am amazed about the performance!

All my games I have via steam work fine at full detail via parallels (yes I installed my windows on bootcamp). Even shogun 2, Saints Row 3, they all work. Max Payne 3 not yet tested (I wonder :) )

I really am happy I bought one!

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Glad your enjoying your iMac. Won't you regret your haste if they release a better model in a few weeks? If there is nothing with ML then I'm thinking 2011 refurb. But I hope you continue to enjoy yours.

3. cybert thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I have the 2 weeks of remorse. And if a new one comes out, ok, then it is like that, I don't think I will regret it. I have a kick-ass machine now, and if a new one comes out it still will be a great machine.

4. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Well said.

I know I won't regret my purchase. I can work without my dying screen now. I can experiment in Blender without waiting a night to see the results of a physics test. I can play all the games that were too powerful or took up too much space on my tiny old hard drive. I can install more than 2 games at a time in boot camp, including Skyrim.

I don't have to worry about possibly replacing the ODD now. I don't have to worry about Apple using a mediocre video card, or an overpriced SSD option. I don't have to be an early adopter of Retina, if it arrives. I don't have to worry about Retina knocking the high-end system out of my budget. Didn't have to worry about 2-3 weeks shipping times.

I also saved enough money on the purchase to pay down debt and buy some much-needed upgrades.

If something amazing comes out, I can wait a few months to pick it up, without losing much of the investment. If it's underwhelming, I can wait for the next generation, and can afford the best of the best.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

True, but I can't bring myself to pay full price when I can get more for my money in a few weeks. That said I've been waiting since the start of the year and if I had purchased then I would have had 6 months use already. Maybe I don't listen to the romour mill next time.

6. nec207 macrumors 6502

What is parallels and what does that do .

Has for the new iMac when comes out it probably be only 30% faster than the one you have now.

The i5 and i7 ivy bridge are not that much faster than the i5 and i7 sandy bridge.

And intel CPU's have been stagnating of late . Sorry but apple has no control over intel.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Parallels is virtualization software, lets you run Windows or other OS right from the OS X desktop. If your interested you can try out Virtualbox, its free, and pretty much works as well as Parallels or Fusion.

8. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I was hesitant as to the 6970m's performance under native resolution but it has pleasantly surprised me. Very happy with its performance, thanks largely in part to bootcamp.

9. cybert thread starter macrumors newbie

With parallels desktop 7 you can start up windows without rebooting into it.
    It makes it a "virtual machine" that your mac runs in osx, and it works in coherence with osx.

So you can run all your windows apps in osx! :)

Only thing where it has problems with is Fifa 12 in EA origin.
    Steam works perfect!

----------

Same here, I am soo amazed about the performance!

10. bobright macrumors 601

You are a brave man, I commend you. I don't have the cojones to get one with a refresh around the corner.

11. Dween macrumors member

Max Payne 3 works fine on my i5 4gb ram and 2gb graphics. I'm sure it will be better on yours!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

12. cybert thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you run it in parallels? Or in bootcamp?

13. Dween macrumors member

I ran it in bootcamp. I don't really have enough ram to play new games in parallels. Older games work fine. It has played every game I've thrown at it in bootcamp though, mostly at top settings

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

14. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Our top of the line i5 just got here today. We're still waiting for migration assistant to finish. We didn't know we could just use an ethernet cable and did it wirelessly so it's stuck there doing this all day. It's been going for 3 hours with an hour to go.

Other than that we hope to be pleasantly surprised!

15. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I agree about well said too.

I just did the same thing a few weeks before and I'm loving it. I've also tried out and then purchased Parallels and I am really impressed by how well it works for gaming. Sweetness! :)

Congrats and enjoy your new toy!

16. JoeSixPack macrumors member

JoeSixPack

My iMac is now about 3 years old (the last of the "square" 3x4 monitors). Is there really that much of a performance boost? I seem to be able to play Diablo 3 well enough. And even with Apple's excellent transition software, I don't relish to down time it takes to transfer everything.

17. DeF46 macrumors regular

Why would you run games in emulation when you went through the trouble of installing a Bootcamp partition? You'll get significant performance gains just rebooting in Windows, it's not that long. YMMV I guess...

18. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Yes I agree, if you install windows in bootcamp you will get full computer power dedicated to windows. I have windows 7 on my current 2008 iMac and it runs reasonably well(Wouldn't even consider virtual given the specs).

As brave as you were to purchase that model will shortly be outdated and discounted regardless....

19. cybert thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I am to lazy to reboot to windows :)

20. sebi247 macrumors member

I'm waiting to buy the same BTO iMac, but here in Germany it is still out of stock till the 21st (for more than 5 weeks) I guess the reseller expected the new iMacs as we all did at WWDC ...:(

21. mikdog macrumors member

"...a refresh around the corner." ha ha. "wait" they said 6 months ago. "its right around the corner" they said.

22. cybert thread starter macrumors newbie

Aye, indeed, the corner is waay to long to keep waiting :)

23. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

Excuse my ignorance, but are you running stuff in 32 or 64bit Win7?

Windoze is an entirely strange animal to me.......

24. Set845 macrumors regular

Discounted? Yes. Outdated? Hardly.

25. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Unless you have some inside info that no one else does, a refresh hasn't even been mumbled anywhere. So it could be 6 months 12 months or even just a couple of weeks. Like said before if you need another machine purchase now. If not wait it out a couple of months a see what falls from the sky if anything. I doubt iMac will get an update this year. Most likely next year. The current model is more than enough for the next couple of years with being considered slow..

James