Amazed by MBP's mic quality

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Sep 3, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I've never bothered to try out the mic fully - and was messing about in GarageBand and decided to record me playing the first section of Sweet Child O' Mine on my acoustic.

Blimey, didn't expect the quality to be so clear! I've got a Firewire Mixer that I plug a Shure mic into and it takes a lot of fiddling to get a decent sound.

GarageBand and the mic amazed me.

Recorded Clip.

2. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

The mike does pick up amazing. It even illustrates your lack of talent ;) j/k. Your playing's pretty good.

3. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

The mic does pick up very well. Also depending on how long you've been playing, you don't play that badly.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, the first time I tried a musical instrument with the condenser on my iBook, I was amazed also. I was trying to pick up the clarinet at the time, and I needed to hear what I sounded like. :D

5. DA-Steve macrumors regular

6. angelleye macrumors newbie

Hey, it looks like you've updated your Macbook specs since you posted this..?? I had one of the little black Macbooks and I was also very, very pleased with the quality of acoustic guitar I was able to get from my little laptop. Then the thing had to go and die on me.

I just got a brand new Macbook Pro that of course has all of the updated iLife 08 stuff. iMovie blows donkey balls so I had to download the 06 version but I'm still screwed because the Mic in this thing sounds like absolutely crap. The voice isn't that bad, but the acoustic guitar sounds horrible no matter what I record with, be it iMovie or GarageBand or Adobe Soundbooth or whatever. I'm very saddened by this. :(

Have you noticed the same thing???

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I haven't tried recording on my Unibody MBP yet - but when on Skype, a few folk noticed I sounded different.

I'll try recording something again - although I have a FireWire mixer (FW400 though, need to invest in a bloody FW800 adapter).

8. angelleye macrumors newbie

please give it a shot on your unibody when you have a moment, but just with the internal mic like you did originally when you posted this. I'm curious to know if the mic really is worse in these or if maybe mine's bad.

Thanks!

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

10. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

does anyone know where the mic is?
    and when i use it to record, i notice that it 'peaks' out a lot so i end up having to put the mic input REALLY low.. i dont know if im playing too loud but thats what it seams.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

12. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I believe there's an array mic onboard - just like most of the better notebooks these days. It does make a difference.

14. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

It's underneath the left speaker grill. Be careful when talking to other people and using the built - in speaker. They may hear horrible feedback.