Amazed how much battery Chrome uses!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ViperDesign, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Anyone else notice this? Chrome uses a ton of battery when I have it open and using.

Safari for whatever reason the battery lasts for ever! Plus when watching video on Chrome the cpu gets super hot while on Safari it doesn't.

2. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Does it have something to do with appnap? that new power management in Mavericks?

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yep, I've noticed it. It also sends a TON of reports to Console. It seems to be an issue with Mavericks, so hopefully the new version of Chrome is better optimized for it.

4. ViperDesign thread starter macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

I downloaded the beta to see if the normal one was the culprit, but low and behold the beta is doing it as well. I am amazed at how much battery safari saves compared to chrome.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Chrome is a piece of crap that's insecure and sends all your browsing data back to the NSA.

Besides, anyone with physical access to your Mac can extract all saved passwords in Chrome without having to authenticate as an admin.

Use Safari or Firefox. Or Tor (which is basically a FirefoxESR bundle).

6. copa macrumors member

copa

Is there a way to reliably sync safari to chrome?

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Safari appears in the apps using significant energy, so it must just be a web browser thing.

Personally I think all web browsers are equal except for IE. I've used Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. What I like about Chrome is that I can log into it on any device and access my bookmarks. That was very useful when I had to borrow a PC for a while when my MBP wasn't working. Firefox was a great alternative to IE and was required when I lived on campus at my university. I haven't used Safari on my Mac regularly, but it's fine on my iPhone.

8. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I use chrome at work as its quicker and easier to use than IE or Firefox for most my clients. Though I do offer IE for those that find it easier due to being used to it.

On my iPhone its Safari and when I look to get my new rMacPro next year I will use Safari. It is built to optimise performance not just for the browser but the hardware as well.

Chrome, Firefox and IE none should work as well with a Mac and I dont want Apple to dial back their optimisation to better suit another companies browser. Instead further prove Safari is superior. I think it looks much nicer already.