Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

'Amazing Alex' is Rovio's 'Angry Birds' Followup

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Finnish game studio Rovio has begun to drop hints about its next game -- and its first outside the Angry Birdiverse. Amazing Alex will be based on the game Casey's Contraptions, which Rovio recently acquired.

Rovio CEO Mikael Hed told a Finnish TV channel that the game will focus on Alex, "a curious young boy who loves to build things." The Next Web quotes Ville Jeijari, Rovio's VP of franchise development:
The "gameplay is a perfect fit in our arsenal with its approachable, fun and highly addictive take on the physics puzzler genre," adding "We are currently reworking the title to enhance it, and getting ready to re-introduce it in a true 'expect the unexpected' Rovio style launch to an even larger audience."

Casey's Contraptions, which has since been deleted from the App Store, was an educational physics-based title that launched a year ago. Amazing Alex should have somewhat similar gameplay, but polished to Rovio's exacting standards.
Help Casey get his toys back by building crazy contraptions. Create Rube Goldberg-like machines with toys and everyday items to solve puzzles and playtime scenarios. See the solutions your friends came up with, and share your own instantly with Game Center.

The fun doesn't stop there! Create your own contraptions with the toys you get back, and challenge your friends through email to solve them. You can use slingshots, RC trucks, darts, ropes, magnets, balloons, trapdoors, punching gloves, and more. Let's see who can come up with the craziest inventions!
Rovio expects to launch Amazing Alex at some point in the next two months.

Article Link: 'Amazing Alex' is Rovio's 'Angry Birds' Followup

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I loved incredible machines when I was a kid! Will there be another law suit here?

Comment

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
There is also an App from AutoDesk that is very similar already on the phone, should be interesting to see which one wins out.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I wonder if the developers of Crush the Castle (the game Rovio cloned—and yes, enhanced—to make Angry Birds) wish they’d been bought :eek:

Comment

lostngone

Contributor
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Sounds good

I hope this does better then their previous apps. Those poor starving developers need to make a little money. :p :D :p

Comment

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
Wait, so let me get this straight, the biggest success story of iOS gaming, who now basically has infinite monies, had to BUY someone else's property in order to break out of their one-hit-wonder status. A property which is already a design that has already been cloned multiple times on multiple platforms.

I remain unconvinced that Rovio has the slightest bit of creative talent.

At least they had the decency to buy their 'inspiration' this time.

Comment

GMTGuy

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
The concept is neat but focusing on kids makes it more of a kid game IMHO. Maybe adults will be interested IDK, but it's not the same as angry birds which has mass appeal. I personally think they should of kept the animal theme going, and since cats are popular right now, focus on them. But seeing as Rovio are probably a billion dollar company now, i'm sure they know what they're doing.

Comment

thobie

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
I see a lawsuite herre...

http://itunes.apple.com/fi/app/the-incredible-machine/id440297659?mt=8

"The Incredible Machine (iPad/iPhone)

'The Incredible Machine' for iPad/iPhone is the first version in the series to be developed and released by Disney for the AppStore. This revamped version contains new art, sounds, and levels, as well as a redesigned user interface to make it easy to use on touch screens. Disney announced and released 'The Incredible Machine' on June 8th, 2011 at E3 in Los Angeles, CA. This version lacks the freeplay mode that the previous versions included. Both iPads and iPhones are supported and freeplay mode is reportedly on the way."

Comment

macbeta

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Yea not overly excited

Yea not overly excited on this one - tho its good to see they have finally moved on from the old catapult formula, mind you it still amazes me they made so much cash from that :apple:

Comment

Varedis

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
I see a lawsuite herre...

http://itunes.apple.com/fi/app/the-incredible-machine/id440297659?mt=8

"The Incredible Machine (iPad/iPhone)

'The Incredible Machine' for iPad/iPhone is the first version in the series to be developed and released by Disney for the AppStore. This revamped version contains new art, sounds, and levels, as well as a redesigned user interface to make it easy to use on touch screens. Disney announced and released 'The Incredible Machine' on June 8th, 2011 at E3 in Los Angeles, CA. This version lacks the freeplay mode that the previous versions included. Both iPads and iPhones are supported and freeplay mode is reportedly on the way."

Fortunately you can't copyright game ideas...

Comment

Varedis

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
but when a game becomes more than an idea (is an app on the app store) then copyright applies, what is your point?

If the game was ripping assets or using trademarks from The Incredible Machine then yes they could sue, but you can not sue someone for copying an idea (i.e. Moving objects via a Rube Goldberg Machine) from one published game to another.

If the game was infringing on a Software Patent then it would be a different story.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.