Amazing AppleCare experience for my MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adrianaesque, Nov 20, 2015.

1. adrianaesque macrumors newbie

adrianaesque

I wanted to share my experience with AppleCare for my MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It is worth every penny and far more! Skip down to ★★★ if you don’t want to read the background story.

In March 2013 I bought a 15.4” MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It was the most basic model - 256GB storage, 2.4GHz, etc. At the time it cost $2,200.

Fast forward to March 2014 - I bought AppleCare for $350 just before the 1-year warranty was over. So now, my warranty coverage extends until March 2016.

I’ve had a number of issues that needed repair over the years - a swollen battery two months after purchasing that messed up my trackpad and required the entire bottom half of the MacBook to be replaced; an HDMI port that wasn’t working, the keyboard backlight not working.

But the one issue that kept continuing was a screen issue. After my MacBook sat in sleep mode for a few hours and I turned it back on, a fuzzy black/white/grey screen would pop up for a second or two before showing the login screen. I took my MacBook to a local Apple Authorized Service Provider, and he replaced the logic board (which would have been a very expensive repair without AppleCare).

The issue continued to persist afterward, and he didn’t know what it could be. He recommended I take it to an Apple Store and that at this point, they would probably replace it. At the time, I couldn’t afford to send in my MacBook to Apple’s repair center because I’m a university student and needed my laptop.

★★★

Eventually, over one year later (last week), I was forced to bring in my MacBook to the Apple Store. The battery stopped charging, so the MagSafe board had to be replaced. I told them to fix the screen issue at the same time. Once I picked up my MacBook after the repair, I discovered that they decided to replace the logic board again. A second logic board replacement.

Of course, later that day I discovered that the screen issue was still not fixed. I went to Apple’s online chat to talk about it, and after explaining the situation to the person I was connected with, they escalated me to their boss - a Mac+ Senior Advisor. We chatted some more, and he was looking into my case and the options I had.

First, he told me to pick out up to $300 worth of accessories from the Apple Online Store as a gift for the inconveniences I’ve gone through trying to get my MacBook repaired. I was shocked, and even doubted the legitimacy of who I was talking to. Two days later, I had the item that I had picked out (AirPort Time Capsule 2TB) - Apple had overnighted it to me.

Second, he told me that he would set me up for a product replacement. I was even more shocked. I didn’t think this could be legit, because every Genius that I spoke with at physical Apple Stores gave me a hard time about getting a product replacement.

Sure enough, over the next two days I was in contact with another Apple employee who was responsible for processing my product replacement. Apparently, the rumors about Apple’s “no downgrade” policy are true - because they are replacing my Early-2013 MacBook Pro with a Mid-2015 MacBook Pro. You know, the model with the brand new Force Touch trackpad.

On top of this, they upgraded my storage from 256GB to 512GB because the 256GB version of the newest model did not have a graphics switching feature that my old MacBook had. This also means my GHz went from 2.4 to 2.5. The laptop they’re sending me sells for $2,500.

Another nice thing they did was send the replacement to an Apple Store so that I could pick it up there. The first two options they gave me were: (1) send in my MacBook first, and then they will ship the replacement to me. That would have meant I’d be without my laptop for a few days. Not an option. Or (2) have the MacBook sent to my address, but they would put a hold on my credit card for the retail value until they received my old MacBook. This wasn’t possible either because the highest credit limit I have on a single card is $2,500. The retail value of the new MacBook Pro is $2,499 plus tax. So, the lady I was speaking with looked into getting permission from an Apple Store manager to send the replacement to their store so that I could pick it up there.

In conclusion, I got a $300 gift and went from an Early-2013 $2,200 MacBook Pro with Retina Display to a Mid-2015 $2,500 MacBook Pro with Retina Display. All because I bought AppleCare for a measly $350. Now I can buy a new AppleCare Protection Plan for the replacement MacBook, meaning my coverage will extend into November 2018. I’m very impressed with Apple and very excited to pick up my new MacBook Pro next week.

To all of the naysayers: AppleCare is definitely worth the money!

2. Dextor143 macrumors 6502

3. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Wow, so you got a CRU for something that was essentially a non-issue.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You should ask if AppleCare can be added to this machine since your old machine included it. :)

5. adrianaesque thread starter macrumors newbie

adrianaesque

Yes, my MacBook Pro worked fine even though it had that weird screen thing happening. However, I paid $$$ for AppleCare and am definitely going to use it for anything and everything it covers. The screen behavior was a defect, which affects the Mac's resale value. My MacBook has had a lot of other issues needing repair as well, so maybe my unit was just a little off.

6. adrianaesque thread starter macrumors newbie

adrianaesque

You're right, I could have had my existing AppleCare transferred to the new MacBook. However, that AppleCare plan ends in March 2016 – there's only about three months left. I'd rather buy a new AppleCare plan and have coverage until November 2018 – it makes more economical sense.

7. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Right - I have heard that Apple gives the AppleCare to you and extends the warranty the normal 3 years total. Without you still got a better deal. Just saying it may be worth it. Having extended until March - no. But 3 years from November - yes. Heard other forum members report Apple has done this. May be too greedy though. :)

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

A very long time Apple customer that always buys AppleCare each time I buy a new MBP/MBA/MB, I appreciate the time you took to provide this detailed story giving Apple the credit they deserve.

Square trade and the others simply don't provide what Apple does. A fact many buyers overlook in their haste to "save money".

I've purchased many new fully optioned MBP/MBPr models over the last fifteen years, of which only two have required any type of major repair. In each case Apple has always taken ownership of my problems. In one case it was providing prompt repairs at no out of pocket expense, the other incident was one in which a logic board was replaced in my two year old 15" MBPr.

One week after the board replacement the computer froze again. Repeatedly. Apple immediately gave me a new higher spec 15" MBPr without hesitation. A solution that reminded me why AppleCare is worth every penny. :D

9. abowlby macrumors member

abowlby

Thanks for sharing this story OP. Really increases the concept of "value" when something like this happens!

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Amazing experience ....
    Im always buying AppleCare with my Mac, even if I used it only once (MacBook Air not charging).

11. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

12. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

It will be interesting to see if you can buy another 2 years of AC on the replacement computer.

My last Dell XPS-15 was a replacement, and they would not let me buy an extended warranty; in fact the only warranty I had on the new XPS, was the remaining few months that was on my XPS that was replaced.

Please let us know when you get the new warranty

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Speaking from experience, Apple let me purchase Applecare on a replacement computer. Unless their policies have changed, I don't see why they'd take issue with it.

14. WindowsTraitor macrumors regular

Not to encourage any freeloader but apple has always stood behind its products. this is why I have been using apple since 2006.

15. adrianaesque thread starter macrumors newbie

adrianaesque

T5BRICK is correct - Apple allows customers to buy AppleCare on a new product replacement. I've already asked two of the employees who helped me with this case, and they both confirmed that I have one year to buy AppleCare for the new replacement MBPr.

I'm not surprised that Dell wouldn't let you buy an extended warranty on the replacement XPS. This goes to show why Apple has the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry. There is intrinsic value in buying Apple, and a lot of people fail to realize that. Apple has secured me as a customer-for-life. Their ecosystem allows different devices to work together flawlessly, too, which makes my life easier.

16. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Good to know that Apple will allow one to buy Applecare on a replacement MBP, and that's how it should be.

We have had iPhones for a few years now, and purchased our preowned rMBP this past March. Apple customer service is the best, and that's one of the reasons we love Apple.

17. coorsleftfield macrumors newbie

It worked out awesome for you but I'm still questing the value of Apple Care in general. I just bought a Macbook Pro and looks like the Apple care warranty will run about $280. My understanding is this basically extends the warranty an additional 2 years after the 1 year factory warranty expires.

My credit card already doubles the factory warranty from 1 to 2 years so buying Apple care effectively gets me just one more year of coverage. That seems expensive for $280.

18. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

AppleCare also extends the default complimentary telephone support to the full 3 years as well. Probably can't call VISA/MC/AMEX if you're having trouble installing or uninstalling some apps, or doing any other number of things that are purely software-related, nor could you bring it into the local VISA/MC/AMEX store for in-person troubleshooting.