Amazing battery life in iOS 5 beta 7!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petrucci666, Sep 15, 2011.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

iPhone 4 here. On 4.3.4 battery would last me about 6 hours until the phone died, but on iOS 5 beta 7 it's going strong after 8.5 hours and still 10% left!

Anyone else have this kind of improvement?

Also, it seems that it's working backwards so to speak - with newer and more demanding software, isn't the battery life supposed to be reduced?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Standby?
    Usage?

Your usage patterns are likely incomparable.

3. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

Your phone only lasts you 6-8 hours?
    I use mine all day long (I'm on Beta7 as well) texting and calling and surfing fb and safari, and I can last from 9am till 11pm.
    Is your brightness like all the way up or what?

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Depends on how it's being used. As they grow more comfortable with the hardware/ software, they often learn new tricks to optimize the code so it takes less work to do the same things as before.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

That's why I asked usage/standby time. And even usage times vary depending on if your calling, texting, gaming, video, music, tethering, etc.

I monitor mine occasionally, snapping a screenshot to rub into sammy droid users at work. The latest is
    2hr55min usage
    1d5hr standby
    59% still remaining.

Couple weeks ago, probably B5 or B6 had a day that was
    2hr4min usage
    13hr49min standby
    76% batt remaining

6. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Those were usage times.

My phone lasted me from about 8am yesterday to 8am this morning, and it was at 8.5 hours usage with 10% remaining so it could've gone to 9hours of usage.

Standby was 1 day, 0 hours.

7. staeit macrumors member

Usage actually doesn't even mean much. Your phone is in use when the screen is blank and you're listening to music via the iPod app. It's also in use when you're playing a 3D graphics intensive game at full brightness or streaming video over 3G at full brightness. Obviously, these different usage types result in significantly different battery drain.

Try doing a video loop test with the same brightness, with the same video, in the same environment/temperature and see how long each OS revision takes to drain the battery.