Amazing drawings!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xAnthony, Jun 9, 2012.

1. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I found this guy on YouTube who does video drawings of all different people/celebrities. I was left speechless after watching a few of his videos and I'm just amazed at his work. I've literally sat here for an hour watching every one of his videos.

I'd like to know what you guys think of his drawings?

http://www.youtube.com/user/r3nd0s

I feel as if this guy should be famous. I wish I could draw like he does.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Wow, he's really good! I like how he considers the light source for each drawing. For the Kobe Bryant drawing he explains why he does eyebrows before eyes.

Obviously, he narrates very slowly in a very deep voice as he draws. That way, when he speeds up the video, the narration comes out sounding normal. (Yes, I'm joking.)

3. jgc macrumors regular

That guy is incredible. What does he say at the beginning though? A "something something drawing of (enter name)"?

I wonder what something like that would cost.

4. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

5. bobright macrumors 601

Holy cow he's amazing the video game characters look real. Dre and Em were sweet as well.

6. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I think he says time lapse drawing? I could be wrong.

I love how he explains everything that he does! I feel it makes the drawing come to life as he explains what he's doing.

That's also very impressive!

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

This kind of work is very impressive and takes some massive talent. I love watching stuff like this, as I used to do quite a bit of pencil drawing.

What always gets me is why this kind of talent doesn't usually fetch much in terms of payback, when something like this...

[​IMG]

...sells for nearly $90 million. I don't see a lick of talent in something like that. What is it about it that makes it $90 million?

8. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

To me it's not about wether it's beautiful or not, or wether it requires talent.

It's all about being the first to do it. Everyone says "I could have done it". Yes, but you didn't.

EDIT: for example: Yves Klein's blue monochromes.
    [​IMG]

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

Well, then this begs the question: what exactly did this "artist" do that was new, or that he was the first at? Surely, many people beforehand painted randomly colored shapes with a colored border. Nothing about this work is either new or groundbreaking. It's just blocks of color. All it needed was a loaded hipster to want it.

Actually, this was going to be my example. Yes...that is even more crap. The thought that someone would pay millions for a plain blue canvas shows that they simply have no idea what else to do with the amount of money they have. It also goes to show that making lots of money doesn't always have anything to do with talent or hard work. It can be just a crap shoot based on the whims of someone else who feels the need to get rid of a few million. If you can argue that it took talent or some kind of epiphany to paint a canvas blue, I'd love to hear it.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Maybe people claim to appreciate that kind of art because of the "Emperor's New Clothes" factor. If everyone else calls it art, you're afraid not to.

11. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Thanks for sharing, Anthony. That artist is amazing. :cool:

12. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I think all it requires are balls the size of a truck ;)

(However I have to add that the monochromes were made for an exposition, in which he hung a bunch of them in a gallery. There's a performance side which must not be forgotten).

And then if a moron decides to buy it, then it's his problem. That doesn't force anyone to appreciate this work.

13. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Glad you enjoyed his work! It's truly amazing, and more people should be aware of this guys talent.

14. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

15. haiggy macrumors 65816

16. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Fine art is highly contextual, and based on prior movements. The concept of this piece holds more weight than the aesthetics of the piece. I'm not exactly sure about the context of this piece, but according to MoMA it was to "challenge expectations of what an image can and should represent." This was in response to the art world at the time.

You could argue that it doesn't take skill or talent to produce this piece, but if you were in his shoes, could you have represented "immateriality and boundlessness" through a single painting and hue? Probably not, and that's probably why this was such an important piece.

Any good artist can spend hours and hours honing their craft, but being an artist is more than just a technique, it is your way of thought and how you convey it. I hope this maybe gives you a better perspective.

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I believe P.T. Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute." If you ask me, it's one of those rich people "acquired taste" thing. Hail, if it was any good every one would be able to see it for themselves. Acquired tastes.:rolleyes:

IF I were Emperor, I'd order a set of those "clothes" for all the women in the empire. Hail, I'd make it required formal wear.;):D:p

18. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Wow his drawings are pretty amazing as well. I love the one of Sheldon. I'm a fan of The Big Bang Theory! Thanks for sharing that.