Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Apple are putting the P7s on display in their stores now, so it's definitely worth giving them a try. I've just done a quick test with my Moto G and it's driving them fine. They're still built for mobile listening so I doubt that iPhones and the like will have trouble driving them.

They're definitely in a different league and as someone who's already spent a stupid amount of money on headphones they were a no-brainer for me. However it's a subjective thing, and you got a great deal as far as P5 prices go, so you may not think the additional £200 is justified or even just prefer the P5's relaxed sound (in which case I'd say try the Momentums). I'd say give them a go, because in my book they're phenomenal.

Yep, this I intend to do. As you say it's all subjective. Just been listening to my P5's and can't imagine anything better so bring it on! I've got a few weeks to compare but you tend to lean towards what you're used to so will try and be objective.

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Yep, this I intend to do. As you say it's all subjective. Just been listening to my P5's and can't imagine anything better so bring it on! I've got a few weeks to compare but you tend to lean towards what you're used to so will try and be objective.

Haha discovering new awesome sounding headphones is a fun part of the hobby, my wallet tends to disagree though! Good luck :)

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
HE-500
Schiit Bifrost
Schiit Asgard2

That's around 1200 and near world class quality. The extreme high end is where extreme diminishing returns kick in.

I hear the HE-500 is not comfortable though? Comfort is important to me since I wear headphones for hours at a time sometimes.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
P7's turned up. Wow! Sending others back. These ARE the ones. I knew after 5 seconds. Amazing.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Already thinking of keeping the P5's as more portable

Hence why I still got my Shure SE535 for my iPhone. The headphones that can replace it are either very expensive or is a big downgrade in terms of portability.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Already thinking of keeping the P5's as more portable

That is why I have kept mine, too.

You'll enjoy being able to use both - to my mind, they are the best - and easily the most comfortable - headphones I have ever had.

----------

Hence why I still got my Shure SE535 for my iPhone. The headphones that can replace it are either very expensive or is a big downgrade in terms of portability.

I have heard excellent reports of the Shure SE535 in-ears; they seem to be the standard by which everything else is measured in the field, and appear to enjoy a justly highly regarded reputation.

while I did them buying them consideration, once I got into the B&W family, I doubt that I'll leave. Indeed, I have also bought the C5s (the B&W in-ear member of their headphone family) but have yet to use them, as, despite hearing extremely good reports of them, I have yet to wear a really comfortable in-ear piece.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
That is why I have kept mine, too.

You'll enjoy being able to use both - to my mind, they are the best - and easily the most comfortable - headphones I have ever had.

----------

I have heard excellent reports of the Shure SE535 in-ears; they seem to be the standard by which everything else is measured in the field, and appear to enjoy a justly highly regarded reputation.

while I did them buying them consideration, once I got into the B&W family, I doubt that I'll leave. Indeed, I have also bought the C5s (the B&W in-ear member of their headphone family) but have yet to use them, as, despite hearing extremely good reports of them, I have yet to wear a really comfortable in-ear piece.

I got the Bose MIE 2i that I use in the gym. There the best fitting in ear I've had. They don't fit into the ear canal they kind of sit in the ear. They don't move. Sound wise they are 'ok' at best.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Also, now I've joined the B&W 'family' I'd be interested to know what you think about the C5's. Read some positive and some negative reviews.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010

while I did them buying them consideration, once I got into the B&W family, I doubt that I'll leave. Indeed, I have also bought the C5s (the B&W in-ear member of their headphone family) but have yet to use them, as, despite hearing extremely good reports of them, I have yet to wear a really comfortable in-ear piece.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried your C5's yet? I bought some SoundMagic E10's but sending back as they increase the volume on their own!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Have you tried your C5's yet? I bought some SoundMagic E10's but sending back as they increase the volume on their own![/QUOTE]

No, as they are in my place of work, a continent and a half away. I will try them when I return to wrk immediately after Christmas. However, the good news is, that, as I have just arrived home, my P7s are sitting here on my desk, and I shall have the terrific pleasure of their company while listening to some music this evening.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Just thought I'd add back here that I sat in an Apple Store trying the P7's for around 30 minutes the other day, and just wow.
Hoping to get myself a christmas present to myself...

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012

The Shure SE535 is better than headphones like the Sennheiser Momentus (which is the competitor of the B&W P7). It's quite surprising how something that small can sound this good. The Shure SE535 is really comfortable if it fits your ears. (I have no issues, but I heard some people had comfort problems )

I have used the B&W P5 alot before buying the Shure SE535. I hear B&W makes very good speakers. Perhaps when I move to my new appartement I'll buy some B&W speakers to go along with a 4K TV :)

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
The Shure SE535 is better than headphones like the Sennheiser Momentus (which is the competitor of the B&W P7). It's quite surprising how something that small can sound this good. The Shure SE535 is really comfortable if it fits your ears. (I have no issues, but I heard some people had comfort problems )

I have used the B&W P5 alot before buying the Shure SE535. I hear B&W makes very good speakers. Perhaps when I move to my new appartement I'll buy some B&W speakers to go along with a 4K TV :)

The 535's are too expensive. Any other recommendations?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Still thinking of getting the C5's but 1/2 of the reviews I read state problems with them fitting. Some say great others that the loop digs into the ear.

Gofre

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Still thinking of getting the C5's but 1/2 of the reviews I read state problems with them fitting. Some say great others that the loop digs into the ear.

Like the P5s I don't rate the C5s very highly, sound quality does not justify the price tag and unlike B&W's full sized headphones the build quality is nothing spectacular, they're well made but nothing you couldn't find in another pair at the same price point.

How much are you looking to spend on IEMs?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I've been looking today at the Klipsch Image X10i's. They're a great price on Amazon at the moment.

A big factor for me is comfort which was one of the reasons I was looking at the B&W's. The Kplisch gets good 'comfort' ratings.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
A worthy consideration.

German companies, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser, have great options. I think you'll fancy either of their neutral headphones (the DT 880 and HD 600 respectively). They are amazing headphones that utilize all of your required criteria and aren't too heavy on the wallet. Either would be an excellent option, so choose what you like best.

Now in terms of amplification and source, I think the small (yet powerful) Schiit Magni or Vali along with the Modi would be a perfect combination.

Overall, I think this combination should fit your budget much more. Hope this all helps!

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
German companies, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser, have great options. I think you'll fancy either of their neutral headphones (the DT 880 and HD 600 respectively). They are amazing headphones that utilize all of your required criteria and aren't too heavy on the wallet. Either would be an excellent option, so choose what you like best.

Now in terms of amplification and source, I think the small (yet powerful) Schiit Magni or Vali along with the Modi would be a perfect combination.

Overall, I think this combination should fit your budget much more. Hope this all helps!

I'm looking for some in ears. I already have the HD 600's (love them!). Just looking for something to use at the gym.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
The 535's are too expensive. Any other recommendations?

They can be expensive at $400, but considering it beats the Sennheiser HD800 in terms of square wave tests and THD% measurements, the price tag justifies it :)

An IEM that offers great value for money, is the Shure SE215 at $99. It's a warm / v-shaped sounding IEM with a lot of bass.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
They can be expensive at $400, but considering it beats the Sennheiser HD800 in terms of square wave tests and THD% measurements, the price tag justifies it :)

An IEM that offers great value for money, is the Shure SE215 at $99. It's a warm / v-shaped sounding IEM with a lot of bass.

Yeah, I've looked at them. How do you think they rate against the Kplisch? They're both around the same price.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
I'm looking for some in ears. I already have the HD 600's (love them!). Just looking for something to use at the gym.
I would go with either the Koss KSC 75 or Koss PortaPro headphones.. they actually sound decent and wouldn't be a terrible loss if you accidentally misplace them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.