Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a new "Amazing Photo + Video Apps" promotion in the Mac and iOS App Stores, discounting a number of popular photo and video editing apps by 50 percent off or more.

In the iOS App Store, there are 23 apps available at discounted prices, including options like Spark Camera ($0.99), Camera+ ($1.99), Over ($0.99), Mextures ($0.99), Word Swag ($1.99), Union ($1.99), and Juxtaposer ($0.99). There are apps for taking photos, editing them, and adding interesting photo effects, and there are also a few video-centric apps available.

photoandvideoapps-800x315.jpg
In the Mac App Store, there are 12 apps available at 50 percent off, including popular photo editing app Pixelmator, a favorite Photoshop alternative for Mac users. With the discount, Pixelmator is priced at $14.99, down from its original price of $29.99. Other popular Mac apps on sale include CameraBag 2 ($14.99), Tonality ($9.99), Snapheal ($6.99), Flare 2 ($6.99), and ScreenFlow 5 ($49.99).

The discounted apps are available through each of the App Stores, and the price cuts will be available until next week.

Article Link: 'Amazing Photo and Video' Promo Offers 50% Off Popular Apps for Mac and iOS

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
The german store has a completely different list of apps.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
If you have Photoshop, you need none of these apps, either MacOS or IOS. All of these apps take a little bit from Photoshop and it becomes the focus of the app. Some of them are like a visual toy to play with and it could be relaxing to try out filters and effects.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
if they just brought back Aperture i would be happy

Maybe in version 1.3 of Photos (in two years) we'll get back enough of the functionality of Aperture. Until then, I'm sticking with Aperture. (Hell no on switching to Lightroom. Don't wanna lose my non-destructive edits.)

If you have Photoshop, you need none of these apps, either MacOS or IOS. All of these apps take a little bit from Photoshop and it becomes the focus of the app. Some of them are like a visual toy to play with and it could be relaxing to try out filters and effects.

But at the same time, these apps take a time-consuming, multi-step process and make it virtually instant. Handy, if your time is worth something.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Legend is pretty fun. The photo space looks better than it did a few years ago. There was so many gimmicks.

Sometimes you only need that one thing from Photoshop though. And unless you're making money from it, there really isn't a point in investing into it. That's why I switched to Pixelmator. I just open my photo, crop it, make a few color adjustments, and there you go. That's why I like Darkroom on the iPhone, best of all I can save the settings, and swipe through and apply them to the rest of my set tweaking them here and there.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Maybe in version 1.3 of Photos (in two years) we'll get back enough of the functionality of Aperture. Until then, I'm sticking with Aperture. (Hell no on switching to Lightroom. Don't wanna lose my non-destructive edits.)

Lightroom is non destructive too... Plus if you import as DNG as everyone should, those non destructive edits stay in the file so anyone can open it up edit as they need or bring back the original

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Lightroom is non destructive too... Plus if you import as DNG as everyone should, those non destructive edits stay in the file so anyone can open it up edit as they need or bring back the original

I know it's non destructive, that's what I'd been waiting for since PS 2.5, but what else reads the xml sidecar and how do you move it with the file? I've used Lightroom since the betas and was disappointed by the interface and resource intensive requirements for Aperture, but I'm extremely disappointed they're screwing over another pro app. What they did to FCP was appalling and self destructive, almost as bad as goggle dropping stuff like reader. Who the hell can trust them not to pull the rug out from other major apps?
Offering PS as an alternative to Aperture is like suggesting a bulldozer is an alternative to a Prius. I loath PS for photographic work and it's pixel pushing mega files, never mind the CC bs and lifetime tethering to their cloud (with a chance of meatloaf). Luckily Lightroom is still available as a proper standalone app.

Last edited:

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Legend is pretty fun. The photo space looks better than it did a few years ago. There was so many gimmicks.

Sometimes you only need that one thing from Photoshop though. And unless you're making money from it, there really isn't a point in investing into it. That's why I switched to Pixelmator. I just open my photo, crop it, make a few color adjustments, and there you go. That's why I like Darkroom on the iPhone, best of all I can save the settings, and swipe through and apply them to the rest of my set tweaking them here and there.

Pixelmator is suddenly attractive. Lower ram hog, probably. Even a fast save for web is nice. Which Darkroom? There's a few. One thing I'd like is a vector tool program for technical kinds of drawings. Instead of Illustrator.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark

I have not seen a reason to move on from Aperture since I'm happy with it, i would of course like to see some updates but will never happen.

I do not like this pricing structure that adobe use and i am not in the need of a full fletch photoshop.

My work can be done with Aperture and pixelmator

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Pixelmator is suddenly attractive. Lower ram hog, probably. Even a fast save for web is nice. Which Darkroom? There's a few. One thing I'd like is a vector tool program for technical kinds of drawings. Instead of Illustrator.

Some people like iDraw, there's also Artboard, and Affinity Designer (who are working on Affinity Photo too). Besides Pixelmator, have a look at Acorn. Corel also makes a few editors.

But figure out what you tend to use Photoshop and Illustrator for first though, play with demos, and figure out ways to deal with the shortcomings and alternative ways of doing things.

Darkroom - http://usedarkroom.com

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Why only the desktop version of Pixelmator get a discount? Been waiting for a price drop for the iPad version, and wishing they'd turn it into a universal app. It will run on an iPad 2 and iPad mini 1st gen, and they both have less screen resolution than my iPhone 6 Plus.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Why only the desktop version of Pixelmator get a discount? Been waiting for a price drop for the iPad version, and wishing they'd turn it into a universal app. It will run on an iPad 2 and iPad mini 1st gen, and they both have less screen resolution than my iPhone 6 Plus.

It has nothing to do with the resolution and everything to do with the UI. I think it won't happen until 2.0 because it's cumbersome to begin with, the tools are all in multiple dropdown menus that lead into more settings.

fredr500

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Pixelmator?

I have PhotoShop CS5 and will never go to CC.

I am a photographer not a graphic artist. I edit pictures, maybe add text, and that's about it. I've benn using PS since 5.5 so I'm comfortable with it even though it is total overkill for what I use.

So should I be looking at switching to Pixelmater? I know I'm comparing a $600+ program to a $30 (now $15) program. But to me PS is at a dead end if I need to subscribe to get updates so it's probably time to switch.

I'm also finding that Lightroom is able to do 80% of the editing I need these days giving me more reason to look at PS alternatives.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Some people like iDraw, there's also Artboard, and Affinity Designer (who are working on Affinity Photo too). Besides Pixelmator, have a look at Acorn. Corel also makes a few editors.

But figure out what you tend to use Photoshop and Illustrator for first though, play with demos, and figure out ways to deal with the shortcomings and alternative ways of doing things.

Darkroom - http://usedarkroom.com

Thank you. Have a great weekend.

Ateam043

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2015
Can Pixelmator be used to edit someone and move them to a different part of a photo like PS can?

I only like to do small edits, color, saturate levels, etc which can be accomplished in Photos, but want to know what extra things can Pixelmator handle. For $15 it's not a crazy bad investment to try it out.

mfvisuals

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
SacTown, CA

As other commenters have mentioned, Photoshop is a powerful tool, but it isn't as easy to approach as other tools.

Pixelmator, for example, includes probably 80% of Photoshop's functionality at a fraction of the price, and is easier to learn in my opinion than Photoshop. I was trained in Photoshop while I earned my BAS in design, but I still prefer Pixelmator for most tasks.

In regards to the other apps, most of them do focus on accomplishing a particular task, but you could get all of these apps combined for less than the price of a license for Photoshop (before the CC subscription days).

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Yes, I don't intend to subscribe to Adobe apps, so I'm starting to like pixelmator enough to consider getting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.