Amazing, Rev. A!

c.hilding

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
65
0
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
Hey, some of you have had your Mac Pros for 1-2 weeks and I have yet to see a single thread about any problems with Revision A. Surely this must be a new Apple-record? What do you think, did they actually get it right on the first try this time? ;)
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
c.hilding said:
Hey, some of you have had your Mac Pros for 1-2 weeks and I have yet to see a single thread about any problems with Revision A. Surely this must be a new Apple-record? What do you think, did they actually get it right on the first try this time? ;)
desktops are probably a lot easier to get right the first time, i'd imagine.

i've seen a few complaints, but moreso stuff that will be fixed come Leopard (bootcamp support, etc).

but yeah, congrats apple. um. now clean up your laptop lines.. heh ;)

although i have noticed a lot less "omg i just bought my macbook and it sucks butt!" threads.. so perhaps they HAVE corrected a lot of the earlier problems for those buying now?
 

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
802
0
I really don't think that too many people can buy mac pros so as of now I don't think we'll see anything. My bet is that we won't see many complaints though. Those mac pros are awesome.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
c.hilding said:
Hey, some of you have had your Mac Pros for 1-2 weeks and I have yet to see a single thread about any problems with Revision A. Surely this must be a new Apple-record? What do you think, did they actually get it right on the first try this time? ;)
Hopefully Apple worked out the bugs before shipping the Mac Pros. :)

So far so good......
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The problems people seem to be describing are weirder problems. Like there was that whack thread that was eventually closed, about the person who couldn't get good SATA performance in Windows on a Mac Pro. It's a good sign, I guess, though, nonetheless.
 

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
528
2
mkrishnan said:
The problems people seem to be describing are weirder problems. Like there was that whack thread that was eventually closed, about the person who couldn't get good SATA performance in Windows on a Mac Pro. It's a good sign, I guess, though, nonetheless.
Why was my thread a whacked thread?

And it's not just me, it's many people who tried to use the Mac Pro as a pc replacement.
 

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,962
0
xfiftyfour said:
although i have noticed a lot less "omg i just bought my macbook and it sucks butt!" threads.. so perhaps they HAVE corrected a lot of the earlier problems for those buying now?
i bought my MBP almost 2 weeks ago and it is fine. no problems. gets a little warmer than my previous laptop (IBM ThinkPad T42) but nothing unbearable or painful. good job, apple.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
tobyg said:
Why was my thread a whacked thread?

And it's not just me, it's many people who tried to use the Mac Pro as a pc replacement.
FFS, can we not start this again? :rolleyes: I meant it was whack in that it turned into a flamewar. Technical discussions on MR almost never get closed. I didn't mean it was whack because I don't think your problem is a serious one. I can understand that in your situation it would be an important capability to you.

But it is a *weird* problem, at least in the sense that it has nothing to do with running a Mac using OS X. It's not the typical sort of Rev. A issue thread.
 

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
528
2
mkrishnan said:
FFS, can we not start this again? :rolleyes: I meant it was whack in that it turned into a flamewar. Technical discussions on MR almost never get closed. I didn't mean it was whack because I don't think your problem is a serious one. I can understand that in your situation it would be an important capability to you.

But it is a *weird* problem, at least in the sense that it has nothing to do with running a Mac using OS X. It's not the typical sort of Rev. A issue thread.
Oh but it's definitely not a problem with the Mac Pro as far as running OSX. I had no issues running OSX. Great machine. You're right, Apple has done pretty good with this one so far. If you want to talk about whacked problems, I saw someone complaining about a USB KVM switchbox not working right with the Mac Pro and the fast user switching. To me, that's a whacked problem.

But overall so far the Mac Pro is pretty solid. The other poster was correct though, it's gotta be easier to build a big desktop than the notebooks they have. A lot more engineering time goes into creating those notebooks than the desktops... er, sorry, towers.
 

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
539
0
Forest Hills, NY
xfiftyfour said:
although i have noticed a lot less "omg i just bought my macbook and it sucks butt!" threads.. so perhaps they HAVE corrected a lot of the earlier problems for those buying now?
i received my macbook on wednesday, sent it back on friday. getting new one on monday. lol.

there was a large crack when i got it. yet, i'd rather have a large crack than a moo'ing fan. less of apples fault
 

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
1,573
11
Motor City
Kind of a mac-philosophical question, but are macpros truly "Revision A" or are they "Revision E" Powermacs? At what point is a mac truly new?

Honestly though, if Apple had problems with these machines, we are in trouble. Its off the shelf intel hardware. PC manufacturers have made these xeon chips cool fine in much smaller, poorly designed and managed cases. Not a whole lot to go wrong ;-)
 

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
6,302
1
RichP said:
Kind of a mac-philosophical question, but are macpros truly "Revision A" or are they "Revision E" Powermacs? At what point is a mac truly new?

Honestly though, if Apple had problems with these machines, we are in trouble. Its off the shelf intel hardware. PC manufacturers have made these xeon chips cool fine in much smaller, poorly designed and managed cases. Not a whole lot to go wrong ;-)
They're definitely revision A. Everything has changed. Even the enclosure isn't the same. It just has the same "theme".
 

jamesW135

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2005
609
0
I tried out a Mac Pro at the Apple Campus and the Employee Tried to sell me one. ( I'm Only 13 )
 

ender78

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2005
329
17
jamesW135 said:
I tried out a Mac Pro at the Apple Campus and the Employee Tried to sell me one. ( I'm Only 13 )
Never discount the buying power of a 13 year old. I'd actually applaud Apple for not ignoring the individual. A sales assocaite does not know if mommy or daddy are just around the corner. I purchased PCs at that age with my own money by saving for a long time.
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
ender78 said:
Never discount the buying power of a 13 year old. I'd actually applaud Apple for not ignoring the individual. A sales assocaite does not know if mommy or daddy are just around the corner. I purchased PCs at that age with my own money by saving for a long time.
you bought a $2500 computer at 13? when did you start saving? age 3? :rolleyes:
 

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
4,345
348
Not cool, xfiftyfour.

I just turned 14 and I've gotten, all on my own (through sales, etc), an iMac G5, iBook G4, and MacBook Black 2.0. ...along with a Nikon D50. :D

Mowing is the key. Age isn't.
 

ender78

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2005
329
17
xfiftyfour said:
you bought a $2500 computer at 13? when did you start saving? age 3? :rolleyes:
I was already working part time. Given I did not buy a $2500 PC but why is it so funny that a 13 year old may be the one making the decision of what to buy?
 

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
1,758
0
California
lilstewart said:
Not cool, xfiftyfour.

I just turned 14 and I've gotten, all on my own (through sales, etc), an iMac G5, iBook G4, and MacBook Black 2.0. ...along with a Nikon D50. :D

Mowing is the key. Age isn't.
Between school and work, where is the time for fun? :(
 

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2006
1,098
0
extraextra said:
Between school and work, where is the time for fun? :(
I wish I could help you guys. I wish I could give you unlimited joy, freedom, love, happiness, money, etc, etc, etc. But I can't. I'd be banned for trying.

Anyway, i'm glad to hear that the Mac Pro is solid. It's what I expected. I can't wait to get mine!
 

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
2,319
11
Still here.
macgeek2005 said:
I wish I could help you guys. I wish I could give you unlimited joy, freedom, love, happiness, money, etc, etc, etc. But I can't. I'd be banned for trying.
Don't start that **** again. Seriously.


on topic:
I'm still making payments on my PowerBook which I bought over a year ago! Wish I had as much money as some of you guys.. :)
 

damado

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
280
0
I wonder if the revision B ones next year or whenever will be available annodized in black. Apple seems to have a light and dark side going. A black case would be so nice =)
 

c.hilding

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
65
0
ABANDONED ACCOUNT
Hey,

Thanks for the (so far so good) replies! :D I'm surprised, but this first revision Mac Pro actually seems really, really robust. Good work Apple! I'm buying the following configuration:

  • 2x3.00 GHz Quad Xeon
  • 2GB 667 DDR2 FB DIMM ECC - 4x512MB (The Mac Pro has four memory lanes; so for the best performance, use them all!)
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB SDRAM (The most power efficient card of them all. And it doesn't generate much heat so it's passively cooled and therefore silent.)
  • 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive @ 7200 rpm (You need two drives for optimum performance, or three for backups. This is the operating system/applications drive.)
  • 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive @ 7200 rpm (This is the project drive where all the large data files and program caches are stored.)
  • 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s drive @ 7200 rpm (This is the Time Machine drive, which keeps everything backed up.)
  • 16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) (Do NOT get two superdrives, there will be HD-DVD drives in the near future and you'll need this slot.)
  • Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme
  • Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
  • Mac OS X - Int'l English
  • Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel) (I couldn't bring myself to getting a Dell, even though a lot of people are doing that. Just looking at the Dell logo etched into the bezel while working on a Mac would make me want to take a shower.)
  • AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro/Power Mac (Probably the wisest investment you can make, 3 years complete warranty.)
The reason that I chose to stick with the default card is simple; it has passive cooling! Here's some advice: DO NOT BE TEMPTED to buy the X1900 unless you really want to play games at their maximum settings RIGHT NOW. It draws a lot of power, generates tremendous heat, and has a huge and likely noisy fan. So for a workstation I don't want that in there, and neither should you unless you're absolutely sure that you want to run heavy games today.

Which brings me to Windows. You (macgeek2005) and many others are reporting poor SATA performances while running Windows. How is this weird? You are running a preview of BootCamp, and none of Apples' Windows chipset drivers are final yet. They'll undoubtedly be improving them until the SATA throughput is up where it belongs. This issue has nothing to do with the hardware. ;)


Thanks again everyone for all the replies!
 

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
6,302
1
Seems reasonable. The 23" Apple display isn't that bad of a deal compared to Dell, so I'd do the same. The 20" on the other hand...
 

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
825
0
Scotland
c.hilding said:
Hey, some of you have had your Mac Pros for 1-2 weeks and I have yet to see a single thread about any problems with Revision A. Surely this must be a new Apple-record? What do you think, did they actually get it right on the first try this time? ;)
I've seen a few issues with individual machines pop up on the Apple support discussion board (good place to check out to see the "hot" issues people are having" and other forums. No common problems yet.

1 report of a DOA system
2 reports of systems not starting until their memory risers were re-seated
1 report of a faulty graphics card - was overheating (guess the heat sink was not mounted correctly).

A handful of issues with people sticking third party memory and drives into their Mac Pros and running into compatibility problems.

Oh - and drive peformance in XP :D

Of course Apple has a far better hance of getting a good Rev A out the door this time as the Woodcrest CPU and the chipset they elected to use have been in the hands of many manufacturers who have been able to help work out the bugs as the prep their own hardware.

All in all it is very vexing - as it tempts me to go and order a Mac Pro right now rather than wait another month or two...