Amazingly fast Mac OSX remote disc installation!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by andrewp, Jan 25, 2009.

1. andrewp macrumors member

Well I just reinstalled my Macbook air Rev B 1,87ghz 120 gb...

I've read many reviews saying that the remote disc installation takes 5-6 hours, so after loading the installation, I thought that I would leave it working through the night...
    However the "time left" only showed 1,2 hours :)

In total it took me no more than 1 hour to get a fresh Mac OSX using Wlan...it's simply amazing in my opinion, I even don't know whether the external drive would have done it better.

So don't be scarde to reinstall it with remote disc guys, or waste money on the drive unless you really need it.

2. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wow... that's very good to know!
    Thank you for posting your positive experience. :)

3. kvasir macrumors regular

I had the exact same experience, but mine clocked in around an hour and 15 minutes.

I used my wife's MacBook over a 802.11n connection (Time Capsule).

Remote disk is really cool. No need for the SuperDrive unless you don't have another computer or if you would like to burn a DVD. Smaller installations had no issue (Office).

4. justit macrumors 6502a

I still think 1 hour is a bit pathetic in todays world. :confused:

Why the MBA can't load from disk images to a connected USB drive is beyond me. Yes installation needs to reboot but a simple software switch to look for attached disk images would solve this problem.

5. andrewp thread starter macrumors member

Actually 1 hour is perfect...Have you seen how Windows laptops perform?

A Vista installation on a HP or Toshiba usually takes about 2 hours, and the data is even included on the HDD or CD.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

All intel mac can boot from bootable USB drives if you know what you are doing.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, clearly the MBAir isn't for you and such but ...
    Exactly.

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Compared to 15/20 minutes from DVD?

That's about how long Leopard takes I believe if you're just doing a single language without printer drivers.

One of the features of Snow Leopard is a feature called ImageBoot, which allows for any DMG or ISO outside the main partition to be bootable.

Apple's Snow Leopard to sport Cocoa Finder and ImageBoot - AppleInsider

9. justit macrumors 6502a

It's not for me because ... I'm making a suggestion to make installation faster/better? I guess you won't be needing snow leapard

MBA install disks will not install from a USB with images. I've tried. I wasn't referring to a bootable USB disk, you may not have read the post entirely. :eek: