Amazingly Ridiculous Battery Life!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by breathesrain, Feb 13, 2010.

1. breathesrain macrumors regular

According to Coconut Battery, the iBook G3 I use has a capacity of 21888 mAh, and it's 90 months old. :D It dies after about 10 minutes unplugged if I'm using it at all. I'm just curious- any explanation/way to fix this, so it reads correctly? I've tried that whole "reset battery parameter" thing, but it doesn't work. And I've tried calibration, but I don't know how successful it is- if the computer is dying because the battery runs out, then I've done it. If it's dying because of heat issues I have no way to calibrate the battery.

This isn't important or anything; I just felt like sharing :D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at System Profiler > Hardware > Power and see for yourself what Cycle Count and capacity you have.

90 months is about right though, as the last G3 iBook was introduced in early 2003 and discontinued in October 2003.
    90 months are 7 and a half year - 90/12 = 7.5.

3. breathesrain thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't questioning the cycle count or battery age, just the capacity reading.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry, misread the 21888 for 2188. My iBook is the same though, it reads like 20000 or so after 666+ cycles. It seems to be a design flaw.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

So does mine, its because the battery is way too old. Your battery is at least 5 years old unless you got it replaced.

6. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I bought a new battery off of ebay for my clamshell, it was only about £10 and gives me about 2 hours battery. Perhaps you could do something like this to get a new one?

As for fixing your current one, I am uncertain of how you would go about that, or whether it is even possible