Amazon: 3 to 6 week ship date on 30 & 80 gig iPods

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jaybrad, Aug 20, 2007.

1. jaybrad macrumors member

I checked out Amazon and they have a 3 to 6 week ship date on the video iPods.

Somethings cookin' :)

iPod Touch!, iPod Touch!, iPod Touch!

2. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Yes indeed, something is brewing. Once that college promo ends - BAM, new iPods: new nano colors and a true 6G iPod?

3. sanford macrumors 65816

Try scrolling through 700 albums with the iPhone interface and you'll be chanting Scroll Wheel! Scroll Wheel!

4. ds252 macrumors regular

I've got to agree after just using the iphone for my first time i have to agree there is nothing like scrolling with a click wheel maybe a touch screen click wheel would be something but maybe they'll break off and have two higher class ipods one staying relatively the same and another which would be the phoneless iphone

5. sanford macrumors 65816

Yep. I don't get why a lot iPod fanatics -- I am one, too -- are so bent on getting the iPhone interface into the iPod. Maybe because they haven't used an iPhone: I was the same way until I used an iPhone for an extended period. The iPhone interface well suits the iPhone. The click wheel interface well suits full-sized, full-storage iPods. Why it's not okay to have the one for the one and the other for the other I don't get. Look at computer interfaces. People like typing on real keyboards on laptops; this is why tablet computers never really went anywhere -- even perfect handwriting recognition wouldn't do it. This isn't even a computer thing: people were familiar with typing on keyboards via typewriters long before computers were available to them; and often people preferred typing some kinds of documents and manually writing others. Different interfaces for different devices and tasks. No problem.

Also, the smudges matter. They really, really do. Not on a phone, because we're used to it on a mobile phone. Phone screens are up against our greasy faces -- women who wear cosmetics, those come off on the screens, too -- and we've just learned to live with it; we really don't even notice anymore, on a mobile phone. But you'll like finger streaks and smudges all over your iPod screen as much as you'll like them on your computer screen or TV. They'll drive you nuts. (For this reason, an on-screen click wheel won't fare well either.) Not to mention that humans are not only touchy, we're "feely"; we like a tactile response to our actions.

If one wants the iPhone interface, one should buy an iPhone. You'll be much happier with its interface on it than grafted onto an iPod. I've already decided I'm buying a new full-sized iPod this generation, unless they drop the click wheel in favor of the iPhone's touch interface. Then I'll try and snap up a second 5G before they disappear, mainly because I'll want another three years of battery life without doing the refurb thing -- I don't want someone else's refurb'ed iPod just to replace the battery in mine -- until if Apple insists on the touch interface for iPods they refine it to something I can life with.

In design, sometimes there are solutions that can't be much improved upon. The click wheel is really, really close for an iPod. Long live the click wheel!

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

True enough, BUT.... Can you fit 700 albums in 8GB of space on the iPhone? Yes, you can have plenty of songs in 8GB of space, but it's really not meant to hold your entire collection.

That being said, I have not spent very much time with an iPhone so I don't know about the UI first hand.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Huh?

On the iPhone, when you scroll through a large alphabetical list of anything (songs, albums, composers, even your contacts) it shows the letters A-Z in a strip that runs along the right side of the screen.

If you wanted to look for an album that starts with T, you press the T, the iPhone zips you there, and then you flick up or down to find exactly what you're looking for.

You definitely do not start flicking with your fingers from the letter A all the way to the letter T like you do on the iPod! :eek:

8. sanford macrumors 65816

No, no. Of course not. But I have several hundred tracks that begin with S alone. Now in 4 or 8GB of storage I'd only be carrying a subset of those S tracks. But on my full-sized iPod, they're all there, as I want them all there. The iPhone interface works very well for the iPhone. We're not just talking about media, either, but other, shorter lists like contacts and e-mails. I don't question the iPhone interface for the iPhone. I do question whether it scales to an iPod with 30GB or more of storage.

9. vandlism macrumors 6502

I think the biggest advantage of the iPhone screen on an iPod is not necessarily its touch capabilities, but simply a fairly large screen without the added bulk of a click-wheel to boot. Viewing albums in CoverFlow, flipping them over and selecting a song - most of that can be implemented with a click wheel. Each of Apple's wares has its own style of input. The iPhone found a way to maximize screen space while maintaining our usage of fingers to punch buttons. The Mac uses mouse and keyboard. The AppleTV uses the remote, and I believe that the iPod will maintain the click wheel in some capacity. For the iPhone, having a click-wheel and a number pad couldn't have occurred without a sliding form factor, but that would still reduce screen size, increase thickness and so forth. Apple just needs to find a way to implement the click-wheel and combine it with a fairly large display.

10. sanford macrumors 65816

There were some suggestions, perhaps even based on patents, they'd put it on the back, in a partially or totally virtualized form, with visual cues to what you're doing on the back displayed on the large front screen. That sounds like it will work to me, but I don't think it will make it into the 6G even if the 6G is a Mac OS X-based iPod. My guess is the physical click wheel will stay for 6G.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

I have no problem with how it scales on mine. I have about 1300 songs in the "Songs" list of my iPod, and flicking through them (where one flick can move through ~40 songs) doesn't feel any less-efficient than running my finger around in a circle on my iPod nano's scroll wheel.

In both cases, the faster you move your finger, the faster you scroll through your library. Except with flicks, there's no "maximum speed" where you jockey yourself into zipping through the letters of the alphabet suddenly.

I personally like the advantage of the touch-screen, where if you overshoot what you're looking for, you can touch it with your finger and the screen immediately stops on it. There's no "rewinding" back to get it highlighted like with the scroll-wheel.

How many songs do you have on your iPhone now?

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I gotta admit, the iPhone iPod works so well because of the inability to store massive amounts of music. Once you enter 5000+ song territory, the scroll wheel seems much more functional. But then again, this is Apple we're talking about, I'm sure they will figure out a way to make it work.

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

yeah, I find scrolling through 2000 songs on my iPhone MUCH faster and easier than on my iPod.

14. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I could see a virtual scrollwheel option. That would be the best of both worlds. When you don't want to flick, you click on a button which puts up a semi-transparent scroll wheel that works like our typical iPod scroll wheels. That would be cool.

15. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Wow this is great news! Nice find.

As for the iPhone/ Click Wheel debate...

Enough with the click wheel already. I loved it, but it is time for a change. The iPhone is beautiful and very easy to navigate. I have had no problems, when playing around on my friend's iPhone, to find any artists. Perhaps maybe an optional touch wheel would fit both styles, but i think Apple has boxed itself into a corner here. Update with still a click wheel it may seem inferior to the iPhone and not sell well... Or change to a touchscreen or non-click wheel and risk infuriating people :p

Whatever comes out i'm pretty much going to buy (unless it is a complete ripoff or something like a repackaged 5th gen :) )

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Quite frankly the iPod interface sucks when you have a lot of albums, IMO the iAudio X5 manages music far better as you hold down a button to scroll through your music, though the software sucks in all other ways that overall its far inferior. I can't wait for the iPod to get a touch screen.

17. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Back to the original topic: this has to mean something. A major retailer like Amazon doesn't just run out of iPods overnight. This is planned and a sign of something coming.

18. knelto macrumors regular

And tomorrow is Tuesday! However, I highly doubt they'd release a brand new iPod without some sort of introduction or expo or event.

19. knelto macrumors regular

I just went to Amazon.com and every 5.5G iPod I've seen says In Stock... should I be looking somewhere in particular?

20. vandlism macrumors 6502

Apple has the media attend a lot of their events, and they've been shuffling to Cupertino for the last 3 years. Maybe Apple is giving them a break and just putting it out there.

Right hand side of the screen, you can add it to your cart but shipping is 4-6 weeks.

21. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

No way they're coming tomorrow, I predict September.
    Edit: Heck, maybe they are coming tomorrow, I don't want to say no way since you never can tell.

If you go to the page for either the 30 or 80 GB black iPod (5.5 G) under availability the page states:

Availability: Usually ships within 3 to 6 weeks. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

22. jaybrad thread starter macrumors member

Never mind...

Well there goes my theory. They did show a 3 to 6 week ship date yesterday and this morning.

Never mind.... :rolleyes:

23. knelto macrumors regular

Well I'll be damned! Thanks... I don't visit amazon.com much... but it will be interesting to see if anything comes out tomorrow (last week was the John Lennon solo collection if I remember correctly)

24. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

If it comes tomorrow, it'll make my day, but if it doesn't those new iPods are around the corner anyway.

I can hope.

25. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

CompUSA
    Price: $249.99
    Usually ships in 3 to 5 weeks

Amazon.com
    Price: $249.99
    Usually ships in 3 to 6 weeks

Amazon's not the only one.