Amazon a good choice to buy touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by i-Want-Apples, Sep 22, 2008.

1. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

I'm thinking about ordering my second generation touch from Amazon, but since I've not really purchased much from them in the past, I'm not sure if it is a good route to go. I'm so used to buying things locally and just being able to return it to the store if there is a problem, that I don't really know how it would work if I order from Amazon.

I read through their returns information and it looks like they allow a product to be returned for any reason in 30 days, but you pay shipping. But, if the product is not what your ordered or defective, they pay shipping. Am I understanding this correctly?

Has anyone really dealt with returning products to Amazon and if so, are they okay to work with? I'm a little concerned it would be a difficult process if the touch is defective and also what they would do if you needed to exchange more than once.

Also, I thought I've read in some posts that if you return the product to Apple they will replace with a refurbished product, is this true? I would have to send it in to Apple, since there are no Apple stores near by, but I was just curious what would happen if the product has an issue after the 30 day period Amazon allows a product to be returned.

Thanks as always!

2. Traz macrumors newbie

I have never purchased "big" items through Amazon. B&H Photo is awesome. They do not currently have the Touch 2G in the 32gb in stock but expect them soon. I do photography & have bought LOTS of Expensive stuff from B&H. Very reputable. They do have some different hours as they celibrate jewish holidays, their schedules are posted. I know something is coming up soon. Product warrenty is handled through Apple.

3. bikerg macrumors newbie

amazon rocks

I have bought from amazon numerous times but never had to return anything. Sometimes you are buying from amazon, other times it is a third party that you buy from under the amazon store umbrella. The great thing is that amazon makes sure everything is legit. It is my favourite web store and I totally trust it. I only have one experience with returning something over the web and it was with smarthome. I called at 3 pm to complain and my buzzer rang at 10 am the next morning with a replacement via courier. five stars, and that is smarthome shipping from california to vancouve canada. I have bought from b & h as well and had a good experience.

4. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

Amazon is huge with a good reputation. I would order from them.

5. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

I've only ordered books at amazon and they shipped me a faulty one once. I didn't return or complain about it because it was too late. Books are usually like that though.

6. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

amazon is one of the best online retailers. good reputation.

as for returns, it should be fine if you need to go through the process. just don't abuse the policy as one mr member may have

7. new2macworld macrumors newbie

i just ordered mine from amazon. another bonus is the price is $10 cheaper for the 8 and 16gb. plus there is no tax.

shipping is free, if you don't want to wait, you can sign up for a month trial of amazon prime and get 2 day shipping free.

8. sailortena macrumors newbie

I ordered mine (32 gig 2nd gen) from Amazon the first day it was available. After I got it, they lowered the price by $20. And I had no problem getting the credit for the lower price. I have never had problems with Amazon.

9. rick2907 macrumors newbie

Got mine from J&R via Amazon

I paid 399 for 32gig but had second thoughts and called for an RA number. Talked to the CSR and she offered a price cut. Finally talked her down to $349, which is a pretty good deal, I guess. :D

10. i-Want-Apples thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone... I thik I will go ahead with Amazon then. I know they are such a big store that they would have to be good with returns as well, but getting some positive responses helps make the decision a little easier.

I've used B&H photo in the past before and they were great as well. I was on vacation and made some changes to my plans, so I decided I needed some extra lenses for my camera. They had the lenses shipped to me at the hotel in plenty of time and were very speedy. I would definitely consider purchasing from them, but since they don't have them available yet I'm a little concerned with the time frame that I won't be at my other house by the time it would ship and things, so I'm trying to find a site that currently has them in stock.

Thanks again!

11. Traz macrumors newbie

B&H has the 8 & 16gb, just not the 32gb. I almost bought a 16gb & figured it was crazy not to spend another $100 for double the space.
    I called B&H today & they are saying early next week. I couldn't wait, I ordered mine from Apple TODAY!!!! Pprice & shipping the same, just had to pay the tax up front now. At B&H I don't, I have a business.