Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

133131-kindle_audio_video.jpg

Amazon today announced the launch of embedded audio and video clips for its Kindle eBook application for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) today announced a new update to Kindle for iPad and Kindle for iPhone and iPod touch, which allows readers to enjoy the benefits of embedded video and audio clips in Kindle books. The first books to take advantage of this new technology, including Rick Steves' London by Rick Steves and Together We Cannot Fail by Terry Golway, are available in the Kindle Store at http://www.amazon.com/kindleaudiovideo.
As an example of the utility of the feature, the press release points to travel guides such as Rick Steves' London, which contains an embedded audio walking tour of the city.
"In the new Kindle Edition with audio/video of Rick Steves' London, the embedded walking tours allow customers to listen to Rick as they explore the sites of London," said Bill Newlin, publisher, Avalon Travel. "Rick's narration adds depth to the reader's experience, while listeners can follow the routes more easily with the text."
The update brings a new weapon to Amazon's arsenal in the increasing arms race among eBook retailers looking to lure readers to their platforms. Apple's iOS platform is serving as a major venue in which the competition is playing out, with all of the major participants including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, and Apple itself deploying dedicated applications for their services.

Article Link: Amazon Adds Embedded Audio and Video to iOS Kindle Apps

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I like the iBooks interface a lot better. The only time when I use Kindle is when iBooks doesn't have the book that I want :(

Which is just about every book. iBooks is extremely limited and basically every book I look for is not available. I do prefer some of the subtle features of iBooks such as the hardcover trim around the edge and page numbers, but I cannot imagine it will be too much longer before Amazon has that as well. Their library completely dominates right now.

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
The only time when I use Kindle is when iBooks doesn't have the book that I want :(

I have looked for some books in iBookstore, mainly financial books, and not found them there. Ended up finding them in the Kindle store and bought them there. I have found a lot of books I am interested being in the Kindle store, but not in iBookstore.

What's the delay of getting of these books into the iBookstore? I thought Apple had all these deals lined up with the publishers?

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
What's the delay of getting of these books into the iBookstore? I thought Apple had all these deals lined up with the publishers?

Apple may have the deals in place but that does not mean the Amazon contracts are over. More than likely just a matter of time.

I think it's more than a little ironic that currently the only innovation happening for Amazon/Kindle platform is through Apple's hardware. That is where all the money is anyway. It's not like there is scads of margin in selling downloadable books.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Wow - so the Kindle app has functionality the Kindle itself doesn't?

BTW on the Kindle Store vs. iBooks debate... it seems to be the only reason to buy iBooks is if you're not ever going to share them. My wife has a Kindle, and my daughter has an iPad; and since they like to share books, Amazon's the only way to go for us (I've got an iPod Touch, but reading on it isn't the funnest thing in the world).

The ideal solution would be a DRM-less one; but unfortunately that's not the world we currently live in.

Lord Vader

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2010
Death Star
It's almost impossible to use iBooks on iPod touch 2G due to it being very slow, 3GS on the other hand handles it with no sweat.

mxpx5678

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
I can understand hedging your bets, but amazon has made the kindle experience on an iPad way better than the kindle experience on the kindle, seems really odd, why wouldnt amazon partner with someone to get a better kindle out?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I can understand hedging your bets, but amazon has made the kindle experience on an iPad way better than the kindle experience on the kindle, seems really odd, why wouldnt amazon partner with someone to get a better kindle out?
Amazon probably doesn't make much money on the Kindle hardware. They are probably counting on e-book sales for the lion's share of the profit from the Kindle ecosystem. This is the same with videogame manufacturers: software is where the profit is.

Apple runs their business differently. They are a hardware company and all the software and services (e.g., iTunes Store) drives sales of their high-margin hardware.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ

Well Amazon keeps their Kindle software developers (iOS, Android) separate from those who work on the hardware Kindle. It is a good way to hedge their bets, but its on the hardware end to actually put forth a good product. One can also say that the software group has it a bit easier since they're working with existing APIs and don't have to develop a physical product.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Amazon probably doesn't make much money on the Kindle hardware. They are probably counting on e-book sales for the lion's share of the profit from the Kindle ecosystem. This is the same with videogame manufacturers: software is where the profit is.

Apple runs their business differently. They are a hardware company and all the software and services (e.g., iTunes Store) drives sales of their high-margin hardware.

Actually, Amazon originally hoped to make money on their hardware (and prevent competition) by selling many of their e-books below cost.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
+1 Still, it's great that we're reaping the benefits of Amazon's kindle software. If I had to choose between the kindle and iPad, Apple would win.
BTW, I imagine that Amazon has to be saving some money off the electronic delivery system.
I think it's more than a little ironic that currently the only innovation happening for Amazon/Kindle platform is through Apple's hardware. That is where all the money is anyway. It's not like there is scads of margin in selling downloadable books.

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
What in the world is amazon doing selling kindle books on the ipad anyways?!!!!!:eek::eek:

Making money. Lots and lots of money.

In Canada, the Kindle app is the ONLY way to go if you want to read books at all (not strictly true of course as there are other apps - just none that has the volume of books that Amazon has).

caddisfly

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
I prefer the ibook interface a bit more, but the kindle app works and this sounds like an improvement.

I would like to see a bit more *book* $$ competition between the two

or *ideally* I would like a public library model for ebooks with check-in/checkout

....OR a netflix for books - I would be willing to pay a monthly subscription to check out "X" number of ebooks a month

wouldn't do it for music and wouldn't do it for films, but for books, absolutely!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.