Amazon Availability/Pricing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hwangman, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hwangman macrumors newbie

I've been waiting to purchase the new iPad through Amazon due to having a significant amount of gift cards to use. Looks like they only offer the iPad through resellers, who are charging about $75-100 higher than retail. Does anyone know how long Amazon typically takes to receive inventory and start selling directly? How long did it take w/the iPad 2?

2. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Ever since Amazon got their Kindle Fire they have stopped receiving iPad 2's and I assume that will stay the same for the new iPads.

So, go get it somewhere else, Amazon won't be getting them directly, only 3rd party resellers on Amazon.

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Never.

Amazon does not directly sell the iPad.

It's only available 3rd party.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Has Amazon itself ever sold iPads? I don't think it has -- only 3rd party resellers, some of which let Amazon ship it so it qualifies for "Prime," and free shipping.

5. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I believe they did sell original iPads for a while.

6. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Amazon never ships directly. That would be horrible business for their Kindle, lolz. You would have to wait for the iPad 3 excitement to die then so prices would become "normal"... right now these prices are most likely for those who never got their iPad on launch day [and these sellers assumed that Apple would fail to mass produce like the iPad 2]

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, I do remember they never sold the original iPad. Wasn't sure about the iPad 2, but pretty sure they didn't directly sell it either - only 3rd party sellers.

8. Hwangman thread starter macrumors newbie

Drat. Well, thanks to everyone for confirming. Unfortunately, getting it somewhere else isn't an option since i have a few hundred $$ in Amazon gift cards. They will work for the resellers, but i don't want to spend more than retail. The prices have come down a little bit over the past week, but not much.

9. AR15MBP macrumors regular

If your heart is set on buying an iPad now, there are websites were you can sell giftcards to places like Amazon or Bestbuy for a certain percent on the dollar. Google gift card buyers or something along those lines.

10. rbasra macrumors newbie

Why buy from amazon? Last year I bought the iPad 2 from Radio Shack and it felt like I was buying from a thief. Lol, stick to the apple store =)

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

https://www.coupontrade.com/sell

12. Hwangman thread starter macrumors newbie

Because i have a few hundred $$ in gift cards.

13. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Buy something else with the gift cards and resell it.

14. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Buy something from Amazon for $500 (or whatever your iPad will cost) that is sold by Best Buy. Leave it in the box, take it to Best Buy and say it was a gift, so you don't have a receipt. Get store credit, buy iPad.

15. Hwangman thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice! Hadn't thought of that. Does the "it was a gift" excuse really work at all BB, or is it store-by-store?

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

You may not have thought of it but Best Buy has. They require receipts for all refunds.

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

I think we already covered this in another thread. Amazon does not sell it directly. Resellers cost more. You are better off using the gift cards for something else at Amazon (as I recommended before, become a prime member and buy your toilet paper, laundry detergent, and other household goods from Amazon to save money and shift regular purchases over to them). You'll free up money elsewhere in your budget so that you can afford the iPad. You also get to save money, because "subscriptions" to products on Amazon usually end up costing less.

I would say this method sure beats the scam suggested above. Remember, these corporations have real life, flesh and blood employees that work there, and when you deal in an underhanded way with them, it's not the corporate heads who suffer, but the people like you and me at the bottom. BB is closing a bunch of stores and going through a tough transition now. Please don't add your crap into the fetid pool of financial failure there.

18. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Amazon takes a minimum of 15% of the sale from resellers and considering apple products have very slim margins for retailers, I wouldn't expect the the prices on amazon to drop much more.

19. dave420 macrumors 65816

Amazon sold the iPad directly at one point. It was on the front page of MacRumors.

20. Hwangman thread starter macrumors newbie

Palpatine, thanks for the info. It didn't sound extremely plausible to begin with, especially since i've had a difficult time returning things to BB that i actually bought there in the past. I can just imagine what it would be like to try and have them take something back w/o a receipt.

Thanks to all for the info regarding the resellers. Last week, the model i wanted was only $50 over retail. Today, it's $75 over. I think i'll just watch the page daily and when it gets within $50 again, i'll order, OR hope for Amazon selling them directly again like they did in that ad mentioned above.

21. amy88 macrumors newbie

I agree.

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If it matches something they sell, most any, Best Buy included, will issue Store Credit (not cash refund).

But if you are wanting an iPad, Best Buy sells those, so he can use that store credit there. It should work just fine for the OP.

23. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I ordered through Amazon using one of the third parties who actually uses Amazon to fill orders. I assume that these vendors buy stock, which they then ship to Amazon's warehouses for storage until orders are placed. I this way for added peace of mind but got a little concerned when the order didn't ship. Right away. But I actually received it two days ahead of estimate and it worked out great!

Look through the list of third parties here. The ones who use Amazon fulfillment are clearly marked.

Keep in mind you'll need to go back to the product page and pick the model you want, send then go back to the third party vendor page.

And it doesn't need to be Prime to receive free shipping if Amazon does fulfillment. It qualifies for their "over $25" free shipping deal.