Amazon Award Popup

Discussion in 'iPad' started by IPadNParadise, Feb 28, 2018.

1. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I constantly get this pop up no matter what I am viewing. I have 1Blocker but it’s obviously not working. I always do a hard reset to get out of it and then clear history and data. But is there a better blocker app (than 1Blocker) to stop them? I don’t care if it is free or not if it will stop them.

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

On your iPad while on a particular website or any website?

3. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

On my iPad when viewing various websites. Right now I am searching feeding methods for a problem horse, I will be reading good info from a reputable website and up pops the Congratulations, Your ipad has been chosen to receive an award..... and you then have to go thru the motions to get rid of it. But this has been going on for a few months now with other websites I have been searching on.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Are the definitions/rules on your current blocker up to date?

Is your content blocker actually enabled in Safari settings?

Maybe try a different content blocker such as Ad-Guard.

5. Richard8655, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

I also recommend Adblock Plus. Block popups in the iPad settings. Also in your Amazon account, set advertising preferences to “do not personalize” as a precaution.

Amazon popups are often scams as malware. I would delete all Safari data and cookies (clear history and website data) and cold start the iPad.

6. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I have cleared history and website data, hard reset the iPad each time this happens. But it keeps happening. Not every time I visit a website but it does happen every few days. I just now went to my Amazon account and changed to do not personalize advertising. How would a I know if I have malware on my iPad?

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You don’t have malware on your iPad. It’s simply rogue ads. Have you done the content blocker suggestions above?

8. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Yes, every one except getting another ad blocker. Fingers crossed they work.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Next time it pops up, right click on it and look at properties and let us know what it says.

10. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Right click - it’s an ipad

11. Marshall73 macrumors 65832

Marshall73

Change your dns settings to 208.67.123.123

This is the child safe dns entry from opendns, it blocks a lot of content. See if it makes a difference. If you have a static IP address at home you could sign up for a free opendns account and use their dns filtering and customise the controls.

12. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Such situation shouldn’t arise if you visit legit sites. This is so weird.

13. Brammy macrumors 68000

There is one web comic (Least I could do) that I get this constantly. I forget if switching from Purify to 1Blocker fixed it or not.

14. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I am an older (female) user, not very technically savvy so I am nervous to change things like that. I do assure you I am viewing reputable websites. Mostly horse feeding requirements.

15. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

If the problem persists, I would connect the iPad to iTunes, backup, restore to original settings, then restore from the backup. There’s also the possibility of a questionable app, so I would review and delete any apps that might be suspicious.

16. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

The issue is a rogue ad provider on legitimate website. A security researcher is trying to figure it out but for now we simply have to deal with it best we can. I assure you its a known issue across ALOT of normal websites. Just got one five minutes ago myself.

17. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

This makes a lot of sense, thank you.

18. red41 macrumors regular

It has happened to me multiple times when visiting espn.com.

19. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, many sights outsource their advertising, and these malware get inserted via the ads. Luckily, I've never seen it on my iPad, but they show up on other sites on my iPhone. Have to close tab to get rid of it.

20. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Check if you have any Profile installed in Settings, General.