Amazon.com Gold Box trick - save 5%

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ivinho, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ivinho macrumors member

Has anyone ordered laptops from Amazon? I'm thinking of getting a new MBP from there. If you use the gold box trick you can (sometimes) save 5%, which isn't much but can be worth it especially if you're buying something over $2k. Also, you get free shipping and no tax (dependign on the state you're in i guess).

If you don't know what the gold box trick is then here's an example. Basically, you get Amazon to recommend you the item that you want and then it goes into the "Gold Box."

here's how
    http://www.kai-mai.com/node/126

2. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

why not buy it on ebay and instead of 5% save 25%. If you buy from someone who is a powerseller or has very high feedback their is really 0 risk!

(often you can look at their feedback and see they've sold lots of Macs before too)

3. LinMac macrumors 65816

You can return it to Amazon for an exchange if you get a bad machine and you don't need to play the lottery at Apple.

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Why not just buy it from Apple on Black Friday, or even Best Buy, or MacMall. I used to buy stuff from MacMall because they didn't charge tax, at least in Ohio they don't.

Either way, it was a good suggestion.