Amazon disbursement to wrong bank account

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by callmemike20, Jan 27, 2011.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

So, I sold a few things on Amazon.com last week. I completely forgot about their automatic disbursements since I haven't sold anything on there for 2 years. During that 2 year period, I closed one of my checking accounts, which happens to be the account the money is disbursed to.

On Tuesday, money was disbursed to that old account (which is through the same bank I'm currently at). However, I only remember the last 4 digits of the account number since its been so long. Amazon can't do anything about it since the money was already sent.

What can I do?

2. meisterjager macrumors member

Would it not just bounce back if the account's closed? If there's no account the money can't actually 'go' anywhere, surely?

3. MacVixen macrumors 6502

Try calling your old Bank where the account is closed. Unless the bank reassigns account numbers (which I doubt) the auto transfer that Amazon did should kick back to them eventually as an invalid account. Then Amazon will be able to reissue your money to the correct account.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Since you are still using that bank, I would (if you can make the time) go down there and talk to a human person, see if they can pull up the record of the transfer and find out what happened with it. If they did bounce it, you should be able to get them to provide you with something you can "wave in Amazon's face" as it were, to pressure them to reissue the funds to a live account.