Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Personally, I will not do either (iTunes or Amazon) until there is a DRM-Less lossless.... but it is another step in the right direction.

I notice that the Earth did not stop spinning after the announcement, either.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I just read about this on MacWorld and downloaded a few songs that were on my iTunes wishlist that I was about to purchase. I was debating whether I should get the non-DRM version or save money by opting for the DRM'ed ones. In the end, I got for even lower price and no-DRM. Cool...

Sound quality is good, maybe not as much as iTunes, but I doubt I could tell the difference. Of course, it is a bit more clunky to use compared to iTunes, but it might be worth it to save a few bucks here and there.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Personally, I will not do either (iTunes or Amazon) until there is a DRM-Less lossless.... but it is another step in the right direction.

I notice that the Earth did not stop spinning after the announcement, either.

Problem is, lossless compression with either Apple Lossless or FLAC formats only result in music files just under 50% the size of the original data on the Compact Disc--not worth it unless you are archiving your CD collection on a 500 GB or larger hard drive.

At 256 kbps or 320 kbps data rate VBR mode in either AAC or MP3 format, the sound quality is good enough that the only way to tell the difference is with stereo equipment that costs WAY beyond the means of the average consumer.

j/k/Andy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
This is great, just bought an album download that I was going to order from Amazon on CD for $9.99, download was $8.99. The same iTunes album cost is $10.99 with DRM.

Had to download and install a helper app from amazon, but it was quick and worked, even added the songs into iTunes.

Synced my new nano and it sounds great.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
This is the first time i have seriously considered buying my digital music from someone other than Apple (I guess the only thing you lose in this case is the opportunity to make ringtones?)

I'm really starting to think its time for Jobs to lighten up at the bargaining table or else this could be the start of bad things to come.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
So what is the reason iTunes does not have Universal? And whose idea was iTunes 1.29- EMI or Apple?
I guess nobody wants to rely on just one distributor. The record companies are trying desperately to create a new digital retail outlet. I cannot blame them. One gatekeeper could easily create problems later, even if that gate keeper is Apple. As for the price, Amazon might be taking a loss to establish itself for now.

Now, I need to use iTunes for most of my song searches; check eMusic for the lowest price; if not available there, then check Amazon for non-DRM versions; if it is not available there either, then go for iTunes... Boy, this is gonna take time. :)

I am not usually that bothered with DRM, but every now and then iMovie wigs out and starts complaining about the protected songs after spending a lot of time setting everything properly. If iMovie did not have that annoying intermittent bug, I would not care to check whether it is 89c at Amazon. (Most songs are offered at 99c.)

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Had to download and install a helper app from amazon, but it was quick and worked, even added the songs into iTunes.
I did not download their helper app. The web interface is pretty good already. Much better than Wal-Mart, with the bonus of actually working on Macs.

I like the ability to preview all songs in an album instead of having to click every one of them one by one. I wish iTunes had that feature.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
So what is the reason iTunes does not have Universal? And whose idea was iTunes 1.29- EMI or Apple?

http://www.macuser.com/music/vivendi_slams_itunes_contract_1.php

Although an extremely opinion heavy article, the gist of it is that Universal want's Apple's cut to be smaller. I'm guessing $1.29 tracks are the result of the labels wanting DRM-free tracks to cost more (to balance out the number of "pirate" copies that might stem from the DRM-less tracks?) while Apple wanted to keeps its cut the same. I'm also guessing that Amazon was willing to take a smaller piece of the pie.

So far I'm digging this Amazon service. A little more grunt work but for better quality tracks I'll take it.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
How is 256kbps a higher bitrate than iTunes Plus, which is also 256kbps?

Did I say "iTunes"... or did I say "iTunes Plus"?

I NEVER said Amazon at 256kbps is "... a higher bitrate than iTunes Plus" at all; you did. I never mentioned iTunes Plus at all. You even quoted what I wrote. So do not stuff words in my mouth I never said (or implied) and then criticize me for your baseless interpretation.

I stand by what I wrote: "Looks like Amazon is taking on the iTunes- at higher bit rates and cheaper prices. MP3s at 256kbps..."

If you analyze what I wrote, I am saying Amazon is releasing at higher bit rates than they (Amazon) were (which they are) and cheaper prices than they (Amazon) previously had (which they are).

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I'm really starting to think its time for Jobs to lighten up at the bargaining table or else this could be the start of bad things to come.
The only problem with this suggestion is that the labels want to charge more than Apple wants.

I guess Amazon sold this to the labels as a way of reducing their dependence on iTunes. I wonder how long lower prices will last.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Apple needs to:

1. Discontinue DRM
2. Lower the price of iTunes Plus, henceforth just iTunes
3. Upgrade all the billions of songs already sold for free.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Apple needs to:

1. Discontinue DRM
2. Lower the price of iTunes Plus, henceforth just iTunes
3. Upgrade all the billions of songs already sold for free.

4. Persuade the music labels to agree to 1 - 3 above.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Why? I'd say Jobs should keep it up. The beef between Apple and the recording companies is mainly price, followed by DRM. The only viable competitors to iTunes so far has relied on even lower prices and lack of DRM. I, as a customer, am getting what I want, even though it is not through iTunes. Thanks Mr. Jobs...

I am really glad Apple is not licensing FairPlay. The only way competitors can get into digital music marketplace is by offering iPod compatible songs. As they cannot do it with Protected AAC, they have to offer it as unprotected MP3. Brilliant!... Again, thanks Mr. Jobs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.