Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Amazon’s Echo allows multi-room music playback, Sonos allows multi-room music playback. This seems like a long shot, but if I have an Echo, a Sonos One with Alexa, and a Sonos Three that doesn’t have Alexa would I be able to get audio in 3 rooms? I’m thinking possibly if I control the music with the Echo it’ll play on the Sonos One with Alexa then from that to the Sonos Three. Or would I have to get all 3 with Alexa or all three Sonos speakers?

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Whichever solution requires you to spend the most money is how the manufacturer intended it to work. /s Sorry, I've been running into my own compatibility issues with stuff like this and seriously, its not designed to work together. Its designed to work with the manufacturers other services. Its so frustrating.

Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Whichever solution requires you to spend the most money is how the manufacturer intended it to work. /s Sorry, I've been running into my own compatibility issues with stuff like this and seriously, its not designed to work together. Its designed to work with the manufacturers other services. Its so frustrating.

Im thinking of either getting a HomePod or a couple more Amazon Echos, the Echos seem like it’ll be the cheapest

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Since HomePod is delayed, I’m thinking maybe Sonos is the way to go. I have a basic question though. Can I just plain play anything on my iPhone through the Sonos just like I would with a BT speaker? It appears I can’t. It supports Apple Music, does that include downloaded music on my iPhone or just streaming from the cloud? And if I have a third party podcast app, Casts, will I be able to play them from my phone through the Sonos? Thanks

Edit: I found that Pocket Casts has support for Sonos, listed as Beta but that was July, so I’m hoping it works well.

Last edited:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Bose SoundTouch 10 are on sale 399 for a two unit starter pack at Costco.

Any reason that I would go with this for the same price as to Sonos play ones? Thanks for the heads up

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
Since HomePod is delayed, I’m thinking maybe Sonos is the way to go. I have a basic question though. Can I just plain play anything on my iPhone through the Sonos just like I would with a BT speaker? It appears I can’t. It supports Apple Music, does that include downloaded music on my iPhone or just streaming from the cloud? And if I have a third party podcast app, Casts, will I be able to play them from my phone through the Sonos? Thanks

Edit: I found that Pocket Casts has support for Sonos, listed as Beta but that was July, so I’m hoping it works well.

I know that Sonos works with Apple Music. Currently the SoundTouch does not, you have to Bluetooth to one unit and play all to other units, however, they are poised to support AirPlay 2 and you will be able to set up an entire home speaker network with Siri support in the near future.

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/Feature-Announcement-Apple-AirPlay-2/m-p/57620

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
I just recently got an Echo and have had Sonos for a while and can confirm that the Echo can play music through the Sonos speakers but you'll have to be using either Amazon Music or Spotify as you can't add Apple Music to the Echo.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for all the help, I think I’ll stick with the Sonos. I just wish there was a cheaper option with Sonos for the bathroom. The one and the three cover everything else in the house. Just hate to spend $200 to get music in the bathroom;(.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Even if it’s $200 it’s a portable set up that could be used outside or in a different room.

Will the older echoes support multi room?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.