Amazon Firestick or Chromecast or Roku?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tarek, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Tarek macrumors 6502

I am looking for a simple setup where I can mirror my laptop/smartphone on my TV wirelessly, so which do you think is the best option for that? I do like the fact that the Roku and Amazon products come with their own controllers, though.

I use a MacBook and an Android phone, by the way, if that makes any difference.

So which one do you guys recommend? I've used a Chromecast before but I felt like there was a bit of a lag sometimes when streaming from my laptop or phone, but it could have been due to my internet connection.

Thank you for your time!

2. ipponrg macrumors 65816

Chromecast imo. There will always be a tiny lag unless you hardwire into the TV. Are you looking to just share your screen for presentation, or are you trying to watch movies?

3. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

@ipponrg Thank you for your reply! It's mainly for watching movies, YouTube, offline video content I have on my computer and smartphone, etc. I actually have a Samsung Smart TV but in all honesty I absolutely hate the software because it's quite laggy and not very reliable, especially the YouTube application.

4. ipponrg macrumors 65816

@Tarek I'd definitely go with Chromecast then. It has the most flexibility for what you're looking for. In time, the Samsung Smart TV apps will get better, but until then, the Chromecast is going to be your easiest path.

5. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

@ipponrg Thank you so much, I might just invest in the Chromecast 2 then. I had the old version back home so maybe the 2nd generation has improved in terms of speed and efficiency.