Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
As much as I'd love apps on the Apple TV, I don't think it's in the cards. The timing doesn't seem right.

- Apple almost certainly would want to give developers some time to get ready. The iPad was announced two months in advance. That would be too late for the holiday sales.

- The iOS team has been very busy recently. iOS 7.1 certainly isn't ready, yet. And iOS 7.0 would likely include some hidden references to the Apple TV if apps were almost ready.

- Also, we still waiting for MFI game controllers to come out.

Probably just ac wireless, updated processor and some minor tweaks.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Does this mean it is the end for any updates for people who Apple TV 3? Will apple also continue adding new apps like HBO Go or the channels we got that is it?

I just got my Apple TV during would really suck if they stop updating :-(

Bray90820

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
Calling it now: Apps for Apple TV

With the new iOS game controllers soon to be released we should be able to play games on the Apple TV.

I bet apple will block all the good apps such as Amazon videos plex and any app that lets you watch live tv

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
BTW, finally got around to listening to your podcast (EP1), good stuff.

Made my day :) Thanks!

----------

Can Apple keep an Apple TV with an A7 chipset at the same price as current gen Apple TV?

I'm sure. Cost is $17.50 for the chip.
Source: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/19/iphone-5-component-costs-estimated-to-begin-at-199/

Plus remember that they make 30% off apps so they would likely make more money off the increase of app payments, increasing revenue per Apple TV beyond what they're making now.

And they would probably offer a $99, $199 and $299 sku for more memory just like iPhone/iPad.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
How badass would it be if Apple not only refreshed the ATV, but also puts a Fingerprint sensor in the remote for recognizing different users ? One can dream

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
I'm going the other way: minor update with 802.11ac like the new Airport Extremes (for smoother AirPlay playback). Possibly a new remote with an RF or Bluetooth connection.

Apple have been shipping more and more bundled Apps to the AppleTV. There could be some kind of interface overhaul to manage this better.

I don't see Apple just turning up and announcing a whole new platform with hardware being shipped to customers the very next day. When they bring Apps to AppleTV, the new software will be announced well in advance to allow developers to have Apps ready on day 1.

They could release new hardware while previewing a new OS. Or a new OS could come with the AppleTV and everything just works right out the box. In fact, many games you can already utilize airplay and use the iPhone as the controller. And many games already use the SDK for the official game controller. But you also make a lot of sense.

I'm just being hopeful because Apple TV has so much potential, and It's as if Apple is happy not reaching it. Frustrating.

----------

I bet apple will block all the good apps such as Amazon videos plex and any app that lets you watch live tv

Probably Amazon because that's a direct competitor. Live TV yes because they prob have to keep the peace with the media companies. It's an ecosystem and disruption can't happen all at once when you depend on the kindness of those you rely on. In this case Apple relies on media/cable/broadcasting companies. Hence probably why Apple is holding back the potential of the Apple TV all these years. They have enough enemies :)

Remember that Apple's industry pitch is that they serve as technological middle-men, making it easier for content producers to make convenient the consumption, and therefor monitization of that content. They have a responsibility in that sense to not betray those big players. It's a "persona" they utilize for strategic opportunity.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
As much as I'd love apps on the Apple TV, I don't think it's in the cards. The timing doesn't seem right.

- Apple almost certainly would want to give developers some time to get ready. The iPad was announced two months in advance. That would be too late for the holiday sales.

- The iOS team has been very busy recently. iOS 7.1 certainly isn't ready, yet. And iOS 7.0 would likely include some hidden references to the Apple TV if apps were almost ready.

- Also, we still waiting for MFI game controllers to come out.

Probably just ac wireless, updated processor and some minor tweaks.
The timing was right several years ago with the introduction of Apple TV 2. Ever since that day, this product has been a major let-down. Airplay is nice, but it could do so much more...

mattsantiago

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Dolby True HD and/or DTS Master Audio

Hopefully they will include Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio. If so, finally the ATV will replace my Blu Ray. :D

Brisso57

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
Maybe time for Apple to load ATV with a hi-res DAC?

Maybe if the ATV came with a DAC to permit 192/24 hi-res music files?

Doug

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Not all cable boxes have HDMI inputs. Plus, Apple could integrate their own program guide like the Xbox One has...

I see several issues with an Apple program guide:

1) Apple would need to build in some way to control the set top box, such as using an RF dongle. That would be a very un-Apple like solution.

2)They would either have to build in HDMI DRM to allow the guide and TV to be viewed at the same time; or devise some way to overlay the pass-through in which case Apple TV would have to know when you want pass-through and when you are viewing Apple TV. Again, doable but not elegant.

3)I think Apple would be more likely to build in a guide for programming they already deliver to continue the progression for replacing cable.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Calling it now: Apps for Apple TV

With the new iOS game controllers soon to be released we should be able to play games on the Apple TV.

This. It so amazingly frustrating that Apple refuses to allow an app store to the Apple TV. I fully believe it would completely explode the TV market, maybe even more than the original iPhone upset the phone market.

The only reason for this not happening that I can see, is that the US cable companies are lobbying Apple not to do it, and paying well for having their customized apps on the Apple TV.

----------

Another thing that would be seriously interesting, Apple letting OnLive into the Apple TV, or Apple developing something on their own.

The actual OnLive service is kinda crappy today, mainly due to lack of content. But cloud gaming as a concept is quite awesome.

I mean, Sony and all the other rush to add more gigaflops or whatever to their systems, when having the computing power locally is a very inefficient way really with all capable broadbands and so on.

I doubt it's happening today, or any time soon for that matter, but the idea is very interesting. iCloud Games.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
This. It so amazingly frustrating that Apple refuses to allow an app store to the Apple TV. I fully believe it would completely explode the TV market, maybe even more than the original iPhone upset the phone market.

The only reason for this not happening that I can see, is that the US cable companies are lobbying Apple not to do it, and paying well for having their customized apps on the Apple TV.

----------

Another thing that would be seriously interesting, Apple letting OnLive into the Apple TV, or Apple developing something on their own.

The actual OnLive service is kinda crappy today, mainly due to lack of content. But cloud gaming as a concept is quite awesome.

I mean, Sony and all the other rush to add more gigaflops or whatever to their systems, when having the computing power locally is a very inefficient way really with all capable broadbands and so on.

I doubt it's happening today, or any time soon for that matter, but the idea is very interesting. iCloud Games.

I love your OnLive idea. We'll have to wait for Google's influence to bring faster broadband, though. Apple doesn't make products for early adopters, although I think their Apple TV was a "hobby" because years ago only early adopter types would buy an Apple TV. So I think Apple is waiting for the world to catch up to where putting apps on your TV is lucrative. As opposed to five years ago, 2013/2014 might be the time. So looking forward to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.