Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I laugh at this whole market. The minor conveniences people gain for the massive things they surrender; privacy and security. The mind boggles at how anyone would go for this tech.
People used to say that about computers, cell phones, and smart watches. Times can change.

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Why anyone would allow any system into their home that has complete access to your life is beyond me. Home automation systems especially should be minimally accessed remotely -- and even then only by the user.

One day our children will regret the giving up of our privacy so easily...

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
While Apple has been losing an edge in this market, they're not asleep. They know how important being integrated into the home and in hotels and in classrooms is to capturing customers who later adopt the Apple ecosystem. I was at a hotel technology convention where buzz about Apple was everywhere. They know that Apple is working directly with hotels to create the conditions where an Apple TV in every room is the standard. Changes to tvOS have enabled this.

Apple has made adjustments both small and large that show that they're serious. Allowing smart home devices to join HomeKit with just a firmware upgrade is an important move. AirPlay 2 is clearly crafted for improving the connected home ecosystem. Then there's HomePod, an entire new device category for Apple, introduced specifically for the Home. Apple isn't lying down. I expect that this effort will continue ramping up.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
This just means the people developing these applications have to keep security in mind.

A traditional lock and key is usually pretty darn insecure against people who know the right techniques to pick it. So done right, it shouldn't compromise security at all if you went with a lock that only opens or closes by commands received over the Internet.

I'm not saying most of them are there yet. I have a couple of the August smart-locks here, and to be honest? They're kind of cool gadgets, but I probably wouldn't use them if I lived in a high crime area. As it is, crime is pretty rare in the small city I live in. So these are more about adding some convenience. (If one of the kids comes home from school and forgot the house-key, I can just let them in remotely now from my workplace. Or if I forget to lock the door on the side of the garage, I can do it from anyplace, instead of having to put on my shoes and go out there to do it.)

But I can see plenty of ways a more secure variation could be made. (I'd start with one that no longer has a physical key at all. Get rid of those options to pick it or use a copied key.)

Having an app, which is connected over the internet, unlock your doors for you? Yeah... what could possibly go wrong with THAT?

I think sometimes, maybe tech isn't always the right answer.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Companies making home automation systems need to get together and figure out some common standards.

It shouldn't be a question of buying something that's Apple-compatible or Amazon-compatible: you should be able to buy any product and have it work with whatever system you like.

Standards like USB and Bluetooth became successful because they were open and interoperable. Home automation should be the same.

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
This just means the people developing these applications have to keep security in mind.

A traditional lock and key is usually pretty darn insecure against people who know the right techniques to pick it. So done right, it shouldn't compromise security at all if you went with a lock that only opens or closes by commands received over the Internet.

I'm not saying most of them are there yet. I have a couple of the August smart-locks here, and to be honest? They're kind of cool gadgets, but I probably wouldn't use them if I lived in a high crime area. As it is, crime is pretty rare in the small city I live in. So these are more about adding some convenience. (If one of the kids comes home from school and forgot the house-key, I can just let them in remotely now from my workplace. Or if I forget to lock the door on the side of the garage, I can do it from anyplace, instead of having to put on my shoes and go out there to do it.)

But I can see plenty of ways a more secure variation could be made. (I'd start with one that no longer has a physical key at all. Get rid of those options to pick it or use a copied key.)

It is a lot easier to simply sit in your bedroom and hack a lock and then slip right in when you want than getting past three locks and a deadbolt. That's the point. Putting your safety and the safety of your family in the hands of the internet is about as stupid as it gets imo.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
While Apple has been losing an edge in this market, they're not asleep. They know how important being integrated into the home and in hotels and in classrooms is to capturing customers who later adopt the Apple ecosystem. I was at a hotel technology convention where buzz about Apple was everywhere. They know that Apple is working directly with hotels to create the conditions where an Apple TV in every room is the standard. Changes to tvOS have enabled this.

Apple has made adjustments both small and large that show that they're serious. Allowing smart home devices to join HomeKit with just a firmware upgrade is an important move. AirPlay 2 is clearly crafted for improving the connected home ecosystem. Then there's HomePod, an entire new device category for Apple, introduced specifically for the Home. Apple isn't lying down. I expect that this effort will continue ramping up.

Yeah, sure, why not?

But they've got too much ground to cover the catch up to Amazon. It's just the way it is. Apple will always be a niche player in home automation. Sure, they'll make it shinyer, and they'll make more money (from their own eco system of products, as well as from developers and licenses etc) but they'll always be way behind. Amazon haven't arrived at the point they're at to sit around waiting for Apple to catch up so they can compete better.

It's probably OK in the personal device market for Apple to catch up a year after their android competition has implemented new technologies, and yes, Apple has a tendency to leapfrog the market once in a while with technologies such as Face ID for example. But in the home automation market the actual AI of the assistant (Alexa, Siri, Google etc) is king (or Queen). That's where the reliability is, and reliability along with a bit of cuteness (and some low prices without the Apple tax) is what the market is clamouring for. Alexa is smarter than Siri, and Amazon have run with that. The Echo Dot is £50 in the UK, usually less. Google Assistant is smarter than Alexa, and still Amazon have the edge because the Echo Dot is ubiquitous, and cute. The Google home mini is probably the most important product for google that's not software that they've ever made. They know it and that's why they're practically giving these things away.

The bottom line is that Apple are too slow to market with their 'better' and more expensive products. They killed it with the iPhone [Yet still my iPhone replacement (Google Pixel 2 XL) is equal at least, and in many ways better and more Open than my iPhones ever were. And certainly a lot cheaper, cost wise] and the iPod, and I doubt there will be a better tablet than the iPad Pro (at least until the iPad Mini 5/Pro, of course ;)

Apple aren't going to get in to most people's home with Siri. If they release a Homepod Nano for the same price as an Echo dot, they MIGHT stand a chance, but does anyone really think that's gonna happen? (Rhetorical).

It's not.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple aren't going to get in to most people's home with Siri. If they release a Homepod Nano for the same price as an Echo dot, they MIGHT stand a chance, but does anyone really think that's gonna happen? (Rhetorical).

It's not.

That argument is like saying that Apple isn't going to get established in the smartphone market with an expensive iPhone and will only do well if they release a cheap iPhone.

The iOS user base is huge and that user base tends to spend more money than Android users. Selling a more premium accompanying home device makes perfect sense. I bought a HomePod and it works perfectly for what Apple advertises it for: music. The bonus is that it's the best controller for HomeKit devices. Better than the Apple Watch, better than an iPhone and just as fast and accurately as the AppleTV but without the need for the Siri remote.

Eventually, the smart home market is going to be dominated by those companies that have an established user base. Amazon did well with Alexa. It'll have a place in that market. Android and iOS devices are already established for other reasons. Like CarPlay and Android Auto, they have a guaranteed place in the smart home market like they did in the car market. Apple's move to make HomeKit compatibility a firmware upgrade makes that easy for smart home device manufacturers. Those companies aren't going to choose favourites. They're going to want to reach all of those customers and will enable their devices for all three.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It is a lot easier to simply sit in your bedroom and hack a lock and then slip right in when you want than getting past three locks and a deadbolt. That's the point. Putting your safety and the safety of your family in the hands of the internet is about as stupid as it gets imo.

You've been watching far too many spy thrillers.

Reactions: vipergts2207

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have two Sonos One speakers with Alexa. Alexa is pretty awful. No better than Siri, just different. I’ve taken to turning off the mics since there is no reason to give up my privacy for no gain I’m utility. (It looks like Alexa devices do cloud keyword detection, so audio is always being sent to amazon’s servers?)

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Do you really want a home that can be hacked..?

That's a specious argument. Anyone sophisticated enough to hack into my home has far better targets with which to use their skills. Additionally, anyone who wants into my house specifically has much easier ways of getting in, like by breaking a window. I hate to break it to you, but that lock on your door offers very little security if someone decides they want into your home.

Cesar Battistini

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2017
Brazil
I wonder if WEMO will implement the software solution to their devices since they came out with a WEMO bridge I doubt it, so in the end who will take advantage of the software version? Maybe future devices, but IDK how much it can be pushed to take them to the leader position or even a qualifying position when they are just starting the 1 lap while amazon is already done 100 laps. IF apple doesn't come out with a $30-50 home assistant voice activated communicator they will never be in the race for smart homes.

-------------

This comment is correct if it was made in 2012. Apple is way too far from even Google as far as AI assistants/home integration. Why do you think is more reliable? Sure, it was more 'secure' before the software since it required the chip, but not more reliable IMHO.
[doublepost=1523977501][/doublepost]
WEMO has a homekit bridge that does similar to this for $39.99 for their older wemo products, but I don't think people are buying it. I'm not buying it and have various wemo devices because w that money I could buy something else that works with more stuff.

In the real world people are not gonna build a homebridge (I have a pi), they will go w the most compatible and cheaper assistant. You want people to use Siri for HA then you bring out a $30-50 voice activated home assistant like the dot to market; add free music even w ads and other stuff from the competition.
Reliable as in wont be discontinued for a new standard out of nowhere.
[doublepost=1524669862][/doublepost]
I doubt that, Apple had a head start here. This statement is similar to "when Nokia starts making more modern smartphones Apple will be in big trouble". Not going to happen. Period.
Just wait and see
[doublepost=1524669911][/doublepost]

Reliable as in won't be discontinued out of nowhere like many google and amazon products
[doublepost=1524670012][/doublepost]
The current HomeKit is riddled with bugs and not at all reliable. I’m far less optimistic about future as Alexa seems to be getting a lot of traction here. If they play their cards right and get Alexa in cars, hotels and houses, Apple will have serious competition. And when Amazon brings out a cheap Alexa based phone, even the iPhone might feel it. Lots of people don’t see why they should pay so much.
Reliable as in won't be discontinued like many Google and amazon services and products
[doublepost=1524670102][/doublepost]
The only issue I see is also Siri. However, Apple has shown repeatedly. They are not capable of improving Siri at the same rate Alexa and Google Assistant are improved. Meaning the gap will only get wider over time unless something drastic changes.

Alexa and the Assistant run circles around Siri.
They can't improve siri at the same rate because they try to make your information safe, and that is the difference

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.