Amazon has the New 2010 Apple MacBook about 5% cheaper than Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vong, Apr 14, 2010.

1. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

and no sales tax for most states:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1975482

Question, if i buy this, will i still be able to get apple care for this? for some reason i am viewing this like buying apple care from ebay. how some applecare does not work. im thinking that some macbook pros will not work with apple care? o_O"

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, Apple Care is still valid for a machine you bought at Amazon or any other retailer that offers Apple computers.

I never bought an Apple Mac at an Apple Store as there are none in my country, and I'm still eligible for Apple Care. It's a bummer, but what can I do?

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I bought my current MBP directly from amazon also. You still have the 1 year warranty and are eligible for AppleCare anytime within that year.

Amazon is amazing. I have their reward credit card and am a prime member. They're the best online retailer, ever.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

err you are still required to pay sales tax unless you are in a state that does not have sales tax

just because you don't pay it up front doesnt meant you arent suppose to and that the govt wont come after you if they so decide

5. pastparticiple macrumors regular

Most states do not require you to pay sales tax for out of state online purchases if as you said the company doesn't have a local store. Amazon does not incur sales tax for me but Apple's Online Store does in my state for example because there are brick and mortar Apple stores here.

6. BenLeong macrumors member

Can you still use the education discount on Amazon? If not, then isn't the price from the Apple Store with education discount cheaper?

7. pastparticiple macrumors regular

No...and he Apple edu discount barely covers sales tax for many things so you can usually do just as well buying online from a place that won't incur you sales tax.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Not quite

I suggest you research the laws a tad more as that's half the story

The law is that retailers are not forced to collect sales tax if they do not have a presence. The consumer however, is still obligated to pay it (when they do year end taxes)

One of many links
    From http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29919.html

Another
    http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chr...ed-no-more-avoiding-sales-tax-shopping-online

The issue is more of the expense of enforcing the law vs whatever they would collect. That does not mean we are not technically obligated to pay it

9. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Great, but I dunno if :apple: will treat Amazon-bought Macs to the same level of customer service as Apple store bought ones. I've seen quite a few threads about this.

10. pastparticiple macrumors regular

You go right ahead and do that then if it makes you feel like a law abiding citizen. I will not be reporting online sales tax when I do my taxes and I am sure most people will do the same.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Most don't either.

States like NY and CO are now starting to enforce it however through new legislation

12. jmdMac macrumors regular