Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Although it went unmentioned at Apple's big Apple Watch event on Monday, an Amazon spokesperson hinted to TechCrunch that the company is looking "to expand to other devices", suggesting an Apple Watch app could be in the works for the device's launch next month, or sometime in the future.

TechCrunch believes the app will be largely similar to the Android Wear Amazon app, letting users search using their voice, access their Wishlist, and use Amazon's 1-click check-out for shopping in a hurry.

apple-watch-amazon.jpg
Image Mock-up via TechCrunch

When asked for an official statement, the online retailer kept a vague description over the future of the company's appearance on the new Apple wearable, though given the ubiquity of the service, it's hard to imagine an Amazon Apple Watch app not showing up at all.
"Amazon is constantly innovating on behalf of our customers. We are committed to being anywhere customers want to shop. That includes watches. We have an Amazon shopping app for Android Wear and will look to expand to other devices."
Multiple third-party apps were showcased at the event on Monday, but few were actually given in-depth moments at Apple's already packed keynote address. Most recently, Fandango confirmed its movie-focused service will arrive as an app on the Watch in time for the device's April 24 launch date.

Article Link: Amazon Hints at Upcoming Apple Watch App

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
it's gonna be crazy watching how people use a "watch" going forward. i couldn't imagine buying anything on amazon through a watch...but i'm sure some will. will be an interesting evolution of wearables in the next few years.

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
If you can add things to your wish list from the watch, I'm in! I always forget things I'm meaning to buy. To much hassle to bring out my phone, open the app, sign into it, and than add it to my wish list.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
If you can add things to your wish list from the watch, I'm in! I always forget things I'm meaning to buy. To much hassle to bring out my phone, open the app, sign into it, and than add it to my wish list.

just thinking out loud here but where/how do you get ideas to buy new things?

i concur that getting to the watch will be quicker than a phone in the pocket but wont the iphone/ipad/website be much faster to navigate and sort of even that out?

i assume you are logged in with the watch as long as its on your wrist but how much faster is that than touch id?

how close will the iphone have to be watch?

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

Yea what a HASSLE!

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Looking forward to reading my Kindle titles on the Watch screen.

It's such a burden having to carry around Kindle/iPad/iPhone just to read things.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
:p
LOL, explain to me why I wouldn't rather use the iPhone app

Cause you have an iPhone 6+ in a bullet proof case and you need a messenger bag just to carry the giant thing. So you use the :apple:watch to do mundane stuff like buy your hair gel on Amazon instead of digging out your giant behemoth of a phone in the phone equivalent of a tank from your man purse that's sitting 10 feet away.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Yea what a HASSLE!
It is a little hassle for a little gain. It's not the kind of thing that you would buy an Apple Watch for. But if you're already planning to get the Apple Watch, and this makes a small task just a little more convenient, why would you deliberately choose the less convenient way?

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I see this more being used for a 'Your recent order from Amazon has just shipped / been delivered' type glance than a 'let's browse the entirety of Amazon on a 42mm device' type thing.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
In the old days people read REAL books. Anyone using a Kindle deserves only scorn for being lazy.

How is it lazy to use a Kindle? That's just a weird comment. I do prefer real books but having a Kindle or a tablet is a lot more convenient than carrying a stack of books if you're reading multiple at a time.

refslady

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Thawing North
it's gonna be crazy watching how people use a "watch" going forward. i couldn't imagine buying anything on amazon through a watch...but i'm sure some will. will be an interesting evolution of wearables in the next few years.

I can see myself using it to purchase a Kindle book. I frequently see books that interest me when I'm out doing something else, and this would be an easy way to purchase them without having to note the name/author and remember to buy later, especially if Siri can help.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Pfft, anyone reading from paper instead of REAL stone tablets deserves scorn for being lazy.
That is really hard-core!

I was going to stipulate that the printing must be done with hand set movable type.The illustrations must be wood engravings. This newfangled offset printing process is taking the easy way out.

Hand-lettered books on papyrus scrolls are also acceptable.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

As long people don't spent too much time staring at their watches and treat it strictly as a "second screen", I don't think it will be to strange to look at people using them.

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
Watching tv, or out and about doing activities where my phone isn't always immediately on me. Now would I buy anything with, never. I like to read the reviews to throughly for that. It would be nice to have, but if not, I think we will all live haha.

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Looking forward to reading my Kindle titles on the Watch screen.

It's such a burden having to carry around Kindle/iPad/iPhone just to read things.

All joking aside, it'd be nice to have audible audiobooks on the Apple Watch. Pair it with a Bluetooth headphone for gym/running and no more carrying the phone around.

cr2

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
this is wrong

Amazon should create it's own watch. Remember Amazon TV and Amazon Phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.