Amazon in the Process of Launching a Retail Store

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by rdowns, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Interesting, if true. I think it's a brilliant move for them.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Odd, given that Barnes and Nobel is struggling because people are going online to buy books from Amazon and not going to their brick and mortar stores, yet they're thinking they can make a go of it

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is what I thought. Not saying they will fail etc, but why oh why.

4. n8236 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure how an Amazon store would look like besides a Costco LOL. It would be cool, I'd check it out!

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I find it odd they are doing this as well. States will jump on them for any place they put these stores up as for sales tax as they now have a physical location in state.

I could see it working as they are really only pushing their book stuff. It would kind of be like Apple little set up in places like Best buy. Not that big and it is not a full fled store.

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

So it would basically be a huge book store with kindles?

7. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Take a look at the Kindle display at Target or Walmart or Best Buy. Surely that's not how Amazon wants their device marketed.

Small boutique stores, not huge boxes like B&N, would be great for them to showcase their Kindles, promote Amazon app and music store and get closer to their customer. Throw a cafe inside and you have instant traffic.

As for sales tax, it hasn't hurt Amazon in NY and we've paid tax for like 2 years.

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You already pay tax from Amazon if you live in Washington State - but I sure dont want Amazon to have a store where I live. But I LOVE Amazon - I try to buy everything from them.

9. danahn17 macrumors 6502

That's.... weird. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me (especially given the economy and B&M bookstore successes in general). Plus part of Amazon's appeal to me is I can place an order and get something to my door in two days (with Prime at least).

But who knows... maybe Amazon can pull it off. Afterall, everybody said that the Apple Stores were a stupid idea bound to fail and we all know how that ended up :p.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think there's a difference between selling kindles at your local walmart, bestbuy and selling books in a store. Just think about the distribution channel having to pay to have all the stores stock various books. Higher cost then sending boxes of kindles through the pipeline.

11. Tinyluph macrumors regular

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my first thought about this was that they see eventually that they will have to collect tax from everyone, and most people understand that if a retailer has a physical presence that they have to collect tax and this is one way to make things kinda easier in a roundabout manner.

other than that i can see it working for their kindles and the like, but i wonder what else besides books they'd carry since it seems contradictory.