Amazon - Is this a joke?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cmartz8, Sep 6, 2010.

1. cmartz8 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I ordered my iPod on September 1st from amazon and wanted to know what the expected delivery date was. Many people on MR have got their dates but on mine it just said they would email me when it becomes available. So I emailed Amazon to inquire about when it would be shipped. Here's their response: (someone please just tell me this is a joke).

Hello,

I am sorry for any misunderstanding regarding the shipping estimates of this order.

I've checked your order, and I can confirm that we expect to ship it by the date listed in Your Account: November 1. It should be delivered to you by November 2.

I understand your concern about the longer delivery estimates, I hope I can explain the reason for you.

I've checked into the availability of Apple iPod touch 32 GB (4th Generation) and found that this title is listed on our web site with this availability estimate: "This item usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks."

Items listed as "usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks" typically take up to 1 to 3 weeks to obtain and prepare for shipment, but can occasionally take longer. As you may know, we have several fulfillment centers across the U.S., and the items in your order may sometimes be in stock at different locations. When you place your order, we estimate your shipment date based on the proximity of inventory to the delivery address, as well as how quickly we can obtain and assemble items for shipment.

In order to compensate, I've waived off the shipping charges for your order. But selecting One-Day or Two-Day Delivery does not change how long it takes us to obtain items and prepare them for shipment; it only reduces the travel time after the order leaves our fulfillment center.

Here's the basic equation we use to determine your delivery date:

(Availability) + (Shipping Time) = Total Delivery Time

You'll find a complete description of our shipping times and costs on our web site at:

http://www.amazon.com/help/ship/

For future reference the estimated delivery date will be displayed:

* On the final screen of your order form, just before you click "Place your order." Or,
    * In the online order summary located in Your Account.

We will send you an e-mail to let you know when the order has been shipped. Please feel free to contact us again by visiting the following link if you do not receive this e-mail by November 2.

2. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

True

Amazon doesn't usually get the latest and greatest gadgets right away. Nov 1st seems right. By that time there will probably be a few used ones available too.

3. Serplat macrumors newbie

I ordered mine on the 3rd, and it says that the delivery should be somewhere from 9/15 - 9/22.

I highly doubt Amazon will make you wait until November. A two month delay sounds ridiculous.

4. cmartz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thats what I was thinking! I wonder if I canceling and reordering will make it go quicker. I checked the orders page on Amazon an it still doesn't give me a date. Any thoughts on what I should do?

5. elephantinc macrumors member

I'd cancel. You could try reordering I suppose if you definitely want to get it from Amazon (I don't really like them as they always really take their time in sending stuff, play.com is better in the UK).

6. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Are you kidding? Play is terrible, or at least in my experiences they've been dreadfully slow in dispatching before delivery. Amazon have always had better an quicker delivery. OP, I might cancel the order and if I want one soon have a look in an apple store or reorder when they put a date on amazon.

7. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Hmm, I do not know. I ordered my iPod touch 3gen last year from Amazon and I had it cca 1 week (max 2 week) after they were introduced at the Apple event.

That's exactly what I would do.

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The only joke is ordering from Amazon in the first place. They've gotten incredibly slow about shipping lately. Though they were never known for their quick turnaround, even in the best of times.

9. cmartz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing I don't understand is how people on here are saying that they ordered from amazon a few days after it came out and have an estimated delivery date of september 10-16th. I ordered the very first day and they are saying that it will ship on November 1st! If I were to cancel and reorder, would I receive it later because I ordered after everyone else?

Thanks

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really because I can order something right now and have it by mid-day Wednesday.

11. Serplat macrumors newbie

I ordered a wireless adapter last week. Thursday night at 7:00. I got it the next morning by 9.

I haven't had any problems with Amazon's shipping speeds in the past.

12. androiphone macrumors 65816

play.com have always been fine with me, as for amazon I have never bought anything from them

13. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

if you have prime, amazon is the best way to get a lot of things. I get many of my products from them rather than B&M retail stores.

14. cmartz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I cancelled my Amazon order, what do you think would get me the ipod the fastest, buying it on apple.com, macmall, or just going to my local bestbuy/walmart and picking it up?

15. traxxasthomas macrumors member

16. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

how about an apple store

17. cmartz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only reason I would buy from Walmart is because I have a few gift cards.. Why is Wal Mart a bad choice though?

The only apple store is about 35-40 mintues away. Walmart and Bestbuy is only 5 minutes away. I called best buy and they said that the rumor was that they would get the ipods on the 9th but it really could be any time now to the end of september.

18. Cuz03 macrumors member

Same man. I don't live near an apple store. i was gonna get in store from best buy (gift cards :D) or amazon.com. I am unsure as to which i will do but i went to best buy today and the man said they are never told when they first get apple products. he said they just show up on a ups truck. So the rumor you heard is probably just a rumor. but that date sounds about right. that or the 8th. Best Buy just prepares to sell them and then waits to get them. Apple is such a...:confused: unique company :rolleyes:

19. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

35-40 minutes is not to bad, just make sure they have them in

20. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I have had problems with amazon delivering my stuff to LA! And it's not even like I live in a small suburban town, I live in mainstream LA, and my last order took 14 days!!! :eek:

21. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

November doesn't seem right, I reccomend canceling the order and perhaps ordering it again through Amazon, MacMall, or just straight from Apple.

22. cmartz8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up canceling the order. I went to reorder and it gave me a date of Sept 20-27. Thats too long for me so I started looking elsewhere. Called Macmall to find out when they would have them and they said Sept 30. Wayy too long for me. Right now, I'm just waiting for them to be released at Best Buy or Walmart. If its the 8th or 9th and their not out yet, I will probably just head on over to the good ol' Apple store.

23. 7even macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I decided to do the same if there's no movement on my Amazon order in a week or so..