Amazon Launches Cloud Player App for iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

More than a year after Amazon introduced its Cloud Drive and Cloud Player services as it was racing to beat Apple's iCloud services to market, the company has now announced the release of a native Cloud Player app [App Store] for iPhone and iPod touch.
Customers using the Amazon Cloud Player App can stream, download, and manage their music in the cloud, eliminating the need to download files before playing them. With this new app, customers have full access to their Cloud Player music libraries and also can seamlessly add playlists that are currently on their iPhone or iPod touch.

iPad access to Amazon Cloud Player has been available since last July as a device-optimized web player, with the iPhone and iPod touch also having had partial compatibility.

Article Link: Amazon Launches Cloud Player App for iPhone

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Amazon has one big advantage here over iTunes Match -- they do PROPER streaming, not the download-on-demand-and-then-play streaming that iTunes Match uses (which ends up using up space on your device).

Comment

P1x3lZ

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
No censoring either...

I don't believe they censor their music like iTunes music match does either....a bug Apple has been promising to fix for months and still hasn't.

MM was the biggest waste of $25 I ever spent.

Comment

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
Nice. Music on amazon is often cheaper so it would give me a way to buy the music cheaper and listen to it instantly before I got home and was able to sync.

Comment

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
This thing's great. So much faster than iTunes Match, which is often a massive slug when downloading or even just loading the database. AND it loads all the artwork. Match is a complete mess. I may be switching over to this.

Comment

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Google Music has a few 3rd party apps most of which are crap. I am finding this Amazon app to be pretty reliable so far, but the jury is still out for long term use. I too like this better than Apple Music Match. If Apple allowed me to stream rather than force me to download, I'd be okay with MM. But as it is now I won't be renewing MM and will instead use Amazon. One thing that Apple MM service did allow me to do is get all my music downloaded in higher quality format. So, I I can't say my initial MM sub was all bad.

Comment

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
iTunes Match automatically deletes older songs as you run out of space.

I used to use Rdio, a subscription service, but the lack of Voice Command support (iPhone 4) and other quirks killed it for me.

Comment

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I'm still waiting/hoping for Amazon to release an app for their instant video service.

Comment

benwade

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Problem

I have the iPhone Amazon cloud app on my iPhone and 700 songs in the cloud but none ever appear when trying to refresh the library on my phone. Any help would be appreciated. I've scoured the Amazon cloud site and feel I have my settings correct but no music appears. Thanks

Comment

ctdonath

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Using the app now. Not bad, save for three glaring points leaping out at me:

1. Doesn't buffer the next song until the current one is done.

2. Not sure what's going on behind the scenes, but am suspicious more could be done regarding this message: "Playback has been paused due to limited network connectivity. Please retry when you have a stronger network connection." The connection isn't great, but it ain't bad; resolving #1 may fix this.

3. iPad version PLEASE!

Comment

ctdonath

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
In celebration of the app, Amazon is offering $2 MP3 credit with code MP3S4ALL.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.