Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

On the heels of the launch of the Apple TV 4K with support for HDR and 4K, Amazon today unveiled its next-generation Fire TV, which also has 4K HDR support.

The new device, which appears to replace both the Fire TV box and the Fire TV stick, features a 1.5GHz quad-core processor, an Alexa Voice Remote, Dolby Atmos support, 802.11ac WiFi, and 2160p video at up to 60 frames per second.

amazonfiretvtheverge-800x533.jpg
Image via The Verge

Designed to be more like the Chromecast than the Apple TV, the new Fire TV is a small, hockey puck-sized square with a cable at one end to plug into a television set. It has Alexa support and offers access to hundreds of apps.

Amazon plans to offer pre-orders for the device starting today, with a launch set for later this year.

Article Link: Amazon Launches New $69 Fire TV Dongle With 4K HDR Support

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I assume it is supposed to hang from an HDMI port based on the cable length. Looks big enough put a strain on the port.
Yeah, kind of an awkward design. I don't really get the point of having a dongle for a TV when in 99% of homes you will have some kind of entertainment console already, and a 2"x2" box can be hid anywhere in there.

But $69 for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos support is pretty impressive...something the $179 ATV 4k is missing at launch. I really hope Amazon comes through with their app on the ATV.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Will this be like Chromecast and you need another device to control it, or will it come with a remote?

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The landscape for these TV devices is getting so competitive and crowded. Is there enough buyers for everyone to survive?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
this is the right price for a device like this, how can apple justify their price point? In this day and age a PS4 basically does all of this already so no need for a separate device.
But, then you will need a PS4, which I assume costs much more than an ATV4-5.

Reactions: Yvan256

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Only with Apple does technology that's getting older get more expensive. 4K should of been included when the original Apple TV (4th gen) was released. They waited a couple years (so the parts for 4K have gone down in cost) and so Apple finally releases a 4K Apple TV and then STILL includes a price bump. SMH

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Yeah, kind of an awkward design. I don't really get the point of having a dongle for a TV when in 99% of homes you will have some kind of entertainment console already, and a 2"x2" box can be hid anywhere in there.

But $69 for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos support is pretty impressive...something the $179 ATV 4k is missing at launch. I really hope Amazon comes through with their app on the ATV.

Plus I’m sure YouTube at 4K will work on this device. I cannot understand why Apple will not/cannot work that issue out.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
From the article:
Thanks, I read it as using Alexa as a way to control, but re-reading it, it makes more sense that it is a physical remote like the Siri-remote.

This is good, I like having a physical remote, and not having to control the device with an additional device like Chromecast.

Reactions: 69Mustang

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Thanks, I read it as using Alexa as a way to control, but re-reading it, it makes more sense that it is a physical remote like the Siri-remote.

This is good, I like having a physical remote, and not having to control the device with an additional device like Chromecast.
I have found it quite easy to re-purpose an old phone or iPad as a Chromecast remote. Technically speaking, a physical remote is really just an additional device with more limited capability.;):D

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

I like it. Less clutter, compact, no HDMI cable to lose. Eventually they'll be able to fit 4K HDR into a stick, but this is good for now.

In this day and age a PS4 basically does all of this already so no need for a separate device.

I don't think gamers are the target market for streaming boxes.

Reactions: Yvan256

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Only with Apple does technology that's getting older get more expensive. 4K should of been included when the original Apple TV (4th gen) was released. They waited a couple years (so the parts for 4K have gone down in cost) and so Apple finally releases a 4K Apple TV and then STILL includes a price bump. SMH

They waited a couple years because 4K HDR content is still uncommon. Netflix and Amazon both have small catalogs of 4K content and most is upconverted and not true HDR.

Creating a device when there wasn't any content would pretty much guarantee failure. Apple waited because there's at least enough content at this point to justify going this route.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
No Dolby Vision? Honestly, this is getting to be a mess. Some devices support some things but not others... seriously - get this stuff standardized across all platforms already.
Is this confirmed? I've been trying to find it. They don't mention HDR10 on their page either.

mlabonte21

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2015
Sure it's cheaper, BUT:

No Dolby Vision
No built-in gigabit ethernet (gotta buy a dongle for your dongle)
No iTunes (free 4K upgrades)
No casting abilities
Way less storage
Fewer apps

Apple TV is still overpriced by around $30--but still very much worth it if you ask me...

Reactions: Ghost31

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
I hate to say I told you but, just as I predicted, Amazon didn't release the Apple TV app before the new Fire TV with HDR was launched.

Reactions: jinnj

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
No Dolby Vision? Honestly, this is getting to be a mess. Some devices support some things but not others... seriously - get this stuff standardized across all platforms already.

And pay the licensing fee for a technology that barely anyone uses? Plus there is basically no content. So no, thank you.

Reactions: MrXiro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.