Amazon, PepsiStuff

Discussion in 'iPod' started by applebum, Feb 1, 2008.

1. applebum macrumors 6502

Anybody tried this yet? I had 4 caps and so went to pepsistuff.com to put in my codes. After signing in, I put in my codes hoping that one or 2 of the caps would tell me I had won a free song. Well, all the caps did was give me 1 point each??? After looking around some more I discovered that the caps aren't winners or losers, they just give you points. You can then use those points to enter for drawings (1 point per entry) or buy stuff. The price of 1 song is 5 points!!! One TV show is 12 points!!! So, I don't know that I will actively participate (go out of my way to buy drinks for the caps) like I did for the iTunes promotion. At least with the iTunes promotion, you could perhaps get a song for less than what they normally cost (some Pepsi's sold for .79 at times). Anyone else think this is a little underwhelming?? I will definitely get one more cap so I can get a song, I just don't know how much I will do after that.

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

And for some reason you are surprised (that other Apple sponsored event was just a Gold star out of the silvers). There is always a catch! Either that be your email address for spam, or making you buy something else in order to get your free stuff. When I saw this, I thought you would have to buy something and you can get a free song with it using the cap...

3. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Now I'm tempted to just unscrew caps randomly at the store for the points :p

4. applebum thread starter macrumors 6502

I will probably still get caps from the 2 liter bottles. When we have soda, it is usually diet Pepsi in 2 liters. But buying 5 20 oz bottles to get 5 caps is just ridiculous.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Wow what a joke promotion. I was trying to figure out what the deal was from the promotion's site and Amazon last night and couldn't simply find "rules." Now that i know them, i definitely won't participate, i don't like to drink that much soda, and when i do it will be Coca Cola. I would have considered pepsi if the caps had free songs, but 5 caps for 1 song is ridiculous.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I found the promotion rules. It seems unnecessarily complicated compared with the Pepsi-iTunes promotions of past years.

I'm guessing that registering will lead to spam because it uses your amazon.com account.

7. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I've crunched the numbers at all code levels and have determined that the best deal seems to be buying a 6 pack of the 24 ounce bottles (which each have a code under the lid). At the price I usually see them at ($3.00) the points are around $.50 apiece.

What irks me is that the 12 pack cartons are worth only 2 points :mad:. C'mon guys, couldn't you have made them worth at least 5 points (Like the Pepsi Stuff promotions of the past?).

Speaking of the Pepsi Stuff promotion, it was *much* cooler in 1997. I was able to save up enough points for a Pepsi chain wallet (which I still wear :D). This time, there's next to nothing to redeem points for now in the Pepsi Gear category. I guess it's more about the music now :rolleyes:.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Handy reference

You get 1 point for:
    • 20 oz. bottle
    • 24 oz. bottle
    • 1 liter bottle
    • 2 liter bottle
    • specially-marked 32 oz. fountain cup
    • specially-marked 44 oz. fountain cup
    You get 2 points for:
    • 12 oz. can 8-pack
    • 12 oz. can 12-pack
    You get 4 points for:
    • 16.9 oz can 12-pack
    • 12 oz. can 24-pack
    You get 6 points for:
    • 24 oz. 6-pack
    The promotion ends November 15, 2008.

9. buffalo macrumors 65816

Is this the billion song Amazon promo that will be launched tomorrow? If I have to buy more than one bottle to earn a free song, than it is not worth it at all. No reason to try out Amazon's song service for more than $.99 per song.

10. fedorafan macrumors newbie

could be worse

I got a 6 pack of 24oz Pepsi for $3 today pre-game.
    That gives me 6 points.

One MP3 is 5 points, so I get 1.2 songs per $3.

So one free song for $2.5 spent in Pepsi.

One song is usually $0.89, so when you think about it, it's a 36% bonus.

Anyway at the rate I drink it, I'll be able to get the new Vampire Weekend album in less than 2 weeks :)

Now if they only add a Linux downloader ... !!!

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

not only are the points values a bit disappointing, but it doesn't seem to include Mountain Dew or 7-Up in the promo...

I hate Pepsi's flavor. The only two Pepsi-branded products I like are Dew and 7-Up.

If this is really the case, then there's no reason for me to even consider participating.

too bad, I like the amazon mp3 store, and actually use it anyway.

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yeah these promotions were a lot more fun before the internet became the norm. I remember saving Pepsi points up for a mix CD and it was the coolest thing ever. Now? Ah...Not so much.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You are right. There are lots of varieties involved in the promotion, but only within the Pepsi family:
    Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Caffeine Free Pepsi, Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi, Pepsi One, Wild Cherry Pepsi, Wild Cherry Diet Pepsi, Diet Pepsi Max, Diet Pepsi Lime, Pepsi Lime, Diet Pepsi Vanilla, Jazz Black Cherry French Vanilla, Jazz Caramel Cream, and Jazz Strawberries and Cream.​

14. blink56k macrumors member

blink56k

I think the cost of the drinks you end up buying for one prize is too much (like 5 songs for a song, 60 for a CD if I remember correctly!), though the promotion is going through most of 2008. Placing it in perspective, you might just save up all year and get points and prizes for the Pepsi you may have ended up buying anyway.

*ends up buying 12 packs of Pepsi every week, coincidentally of course* :D

Actually I don't think I'll buy as much Pepsi *just* for the promotion since the Amazon 99c a song deal is good enough as it is.

15. kepner macrumors 6502

Anyone wanting to redeem codes from your iPhone, feel free to use this web app I've developed:
    Redeem Pepsi Stuff Codes from iPhone / iPod Touch

Note: if the "Pepsi Point Balance" is blank, you aren't logged into Amazon. Go to Amazon.com, log in, and try again.

16. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Do we have a thread yet where people can post their unused codes if they don't plan to use them so the rest of us (or just me) can use them instead?

I did a quick search which did not yield any results.

...Or you could just PM me your codes too.

17. Deadpool macrumors newbie

Lucky me, i was outside the local virgin megastore and a pepsi van literally drove up to me and gave me like a box of these registration numbers a handful of t-shirts and hats and drove off into the night. In the period of a week i had enough to buy two zen pebble mp3 players.

18. applegoddess09 macrumors member

applegoddess09

I looked around this whole pepsi/amazon thing but in the end, pepsi is not my favorite drink so I instead kept with the coke rewards. that way I can the drink I actually want and the coke rewards have some pretty cool prizes.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I decided to trade turns with my wife whenever we have enough points for a song. She's more of a Pepsi drinker than I am, but I type in all of those letters and digits. :cool:

So far we've gotten 3 songs, 2 for her and 1 for me. My turn is next!

20. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I've saved up 40 points so far. Haven't redeemed any of them yet (I want to see how many I can save up before choosing anything). Hope to eventually get some movies or TV shows and a couple of albums...

One thing I don't think I'll be redeeming for is the merchandise. As I stated awhile back, the items just aren't as cool as years past (with the Zen being the exception but I don't need one since I have an iPod :D). At least this time we don't need to mail in the caps. I remember having to send all mine in a small box back in '97...

21. kepner macrumors 6502

I think the CDs are a better deal than MP3s. With 60 points you could get 12 MP3s, or a CD--most of which contain more than 12 songs, plus the physical disc, booklets, etc. There are even some double disc albums available for the same 60 point price! I really wish there was a wider selection though.

BTW, I found a better way to see what all is available to purchase with Pepsi Points... use Google!

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's very clever. CDs may indeed be the best deal.

Using your shortcut, I see that you can get a Mac-related album with Pepsi points.

23. kepner macrumors 6502

In addition to my iPhone web app, I've designed a Dashboard Widget to redeem Pepsi Stuff codes.

More info here

[​IMG]

Note: If your Pepsi Point Balance is blank, you're not logged in to Amazon. Go to Amazon in Safari, log in using the account you use to redeem Pepsi Stuff codes, then try the widget or web app again.

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I took pluto198's advice and saved my codes until I could get a CD. It came in 2 days from Amazon, fully paid for, no tax, no shipping charge. Oddly, I got an email from Amazon saying it shipped and that I could track it, but at Amazon my account showed no record of it. It must be in a secret Pepsi-order department.

I don't drink that much Pepsi myself, but I scored over a dozen codes all at once when I went to a party that had a bunch of 2 liter bottles, including Pepsis, out for guests. They were going to throw out the empty bottles so I "borrowed" the caps first. :)

25. kepner macrumors 6502

Just got a Zen in the mail today from this promotion. Surprisingly, it shows up in iTunes under Devices (but iTunes apparently thinks it's a Nomad MuVo). It also shows up in the Finder as a removable drive, which is a better way to copy music to it so you can organize music files into folders.

This link will list all of your completed and pending Pepsi Stuff orders:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/history/view.html?groupID=A18LWMTSOOHZ7J