Amazon Phone

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Cnasty, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

2. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

3. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Amazon has an enormous advantage being the biggest online retailer in the world. Now, most Americans do buy their phones at carrier stores. However Amazon currently sells on-contract phones too, so I imagine they will offer a seamless experience to buy new phones on or off contract.

All they really need to do is provide a solid phone that competes with today's flagships. If their Android skin sucks, it will lead to negative reviews. If they skimp on specs (I don't think they will) they will hear the negative feedback.

An Amazon smartphone is long overdue and I expect it to be, at the very least, a respectable offering.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

HTC and LG already had the phones and sold hem, so it isnt really new.

5. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Right, but that was three years ago and the idea didn't catch on. And from a tech standpoint, 3D should have better possibilities of being actually useful/enjoyable now. So essentially I mean 'new' as in - something new to the general pallette of smartphone capabilities today. Just changing things up a bit.

6. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Nintendo 3DS also had glasses free experience about 2 years ago. DIdn't pan out.
    A couple of TV manufacturers have added glasses free TV (expensive as they are) and it hasn't panned out.

I don't know if the technology is still evolving or if people just won't care until they are truly 'wowed' with a realistic experience, but I can say that a 720p display probably won't cut it right now. I personally would never buy an Amazon device, but I am glad to see that there are companies still pushing the tech forward. Hopefully, within this decade, we will get realistic glasses free 3d tech on all displays.

7. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

The 3D here uses head tracking on a regular screen. There's no lenticular screen or beaming of separate images into each eye like the 3DS or those other phoens

But if it works well it could open up some cool new use cases