Amazon Pre-Orders are up!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TheBMill, Jul 20, 2011.

1. TheBMill, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011

TheBMill Guest

Amazon just posted up pre-orders on the 4 stock models.
    Most people can get them for over $100 off, due to no taxes etc and free shipping!

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

3. wdaleherring macrumors member

Well the Educational discount is only $50, right? So no tax should out-weigh that price I guess. Is it a better deal to get from Amazon?

4. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

5. TheBMill thread starter Guest

Great thing about Amazon pre-orders is if the price changes, they'll refund the difference.

6. wdaleherring macrumors member

7. getyup macrumors 6502

Nice, I'm in CA so if they post it within a couple days, I'll order it and return mine to Apple.com... I paid $1199 + $100 tax + $18 shipping + $6 CA eWaste Fee... so with Amazon I can save $124.00

Anyone able to find out when Amazon will be ready to ship? Tomorrow? Next Week?

8. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Amazon is definitely the better deal, but Apple does offer the $100 app store card for students. Which edges Apple out as the slightly better deal.

9. TheBMill thread starter Guest

Not sure if MacMall is or not, but again,if Amazon drops their price upon releasing, they'll refund it. They also pricematch within 14 days:

"If you find a lower price on another qualifying website within 14 days after the date we ship your order, let us know and we'll credit your original payment method for the difference. If we lower our own price within 14 days after we ship your TV, let us know and we'll refund you the difference as well. "

As much as I hate to support such a huge company like Amazon, they always have the best return policies, price matching, and customer service (from what I've experienced.)

10. torpedo1 macrumors newbie

11. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

And free shipping and no taxes in many states. HUGE discount.

12. JSalig macrumors 6502

Trying to decide whether to go with Amazon or use my Discover card at the Apple store for the 5% cashback bonus. I've heard it can be used in combination with the education discount.

13. TheBMill thread starter Guest

For the record, the 11 inch, 128gb is: $1,246.79 with educational discount to California. But, you also get the $100 app store card.

If you count the app store card, that brings it to: $1,146.79 - slightly cheaper than Amazon. Personally, I rather have the cash. I was hoping that was a card for the apple store in general, not just apps.

Having said that, I was planning on getting the 256gb one, 11 inch - which Amazon doesn't have and if they stay true to their track record - won't get.

14. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

MacMall is tax free in every state *except* CA, TN, IL, NC, WI, MN, NY

They have free shipping. They're an authorized dealer.

Here's a comparison of all prices: http://www.macprices.net/macbookair.shtml

MacConnection is $1249 with free shipping and no taxes except in AL, IL, NJ, NY, NC, OH They're also an authorized dealer.

BTW, Amazon is not tax free in all states. They charge tax in ND, WA, KS, KY, NY

15. roflc0pter macrumors regular

MacConnection has them as well. $50 off Retail and No Tax to California!

16. getyup macrumors 6502

Anyone able to know when Amazon is getting them? My guess is less than a week, is that fair? What's their track record like for time between release and having units in-stock. I have one being delivered tomorrow from Apple, but since I'm in CA if I can get one from Amazon within 14 days the Apple one is going back so I get $140 back.

Lemme know if you happen to know how long it usually takes Amazon to get the new models. I'd imagine it's quick like best buy, right?

17. jaykk macrumors 6502a

MacMall

Macmall's ebay store further discounts some items if you have patience to wait.

I got MBP 13 inch base model for $100 off, and ebay cash and no tax from MacMall.

18. Xaron macrumors newbie

You guys are really lucky over there in the states with your low taxes. I have to pay 19% sales tax for everything I buy. But well, this will come sooner or later to you as well I guess. ;)

19. getyup macrumors 6502

Hehe for sure ... Sooner or later ...

20. lvrzhn macrumors newbie

Does Amazon ever carry the processor upgrades?

Just wondering as I'm hoping to buy an i7 through them.

21. Mic-Yo macrumors newbie

Mic-Yo

22. getyup macrumors 6502

Nobody wants to answer my question . :-(

Hasn't anyone ordered from Amazon before?

23. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

No they don't. Just the base configurations.

24. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

It takes a while but some sellers put them up through Amazon (e.g. I got a BTO option from onSale a few weeks after release of the MBA 2010).

25. getyup macrumors 6502

Yes\No. Amazon.com NEVER stocks anything except the 4 configs available boxed at Apple.com, however often you'll see their Marketplace Sellers offering them. If a seller you like is listed, go for it, but I've had enough bad experiences with MarketPlace Sellers (same concept as eBay) that I avoid them like the plague.