Amazon price for 2.8 ghz just went up!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by benpatient, Mar 21, 2008.

1. benpatient macrumors 68000

So I was about to order a 2.8 8-core mac pro from Amazon yesterday because it was 2699 plus a rebate, which is cheaper than anywhere else, and just buy the 8800 gt separately.

But i decided to wait until I got home and get final permission from the wife because of course that's a good idea, right?

This morning I get up and the amazon price, which has been the same for months, has gone up 100 dollars to the regular Apple.com price!

What is the deal?

blargh.

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

4. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I have noticed that Amazon, MacMall, buy.com and newegg will have prices change on a daily basis like that. I have learned from this and when I am happy with a price - I pull the trigger same day.

Bummer that you missed out on that price...

5. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

I think if you check again, the rebate is back, which brings it down below the starting price you mentioned... are you sure it was originally that low plus a rebate? No reason to doubt you other than, well, I'm just a double-checking kind of guy.

Go forth and get that Mac, man! Computational joy in stupendous amounts awaits you.

Happy Friday.

6. caliguy19 macrumors newbie

The price went up by $50 yesterday. On Wednesday it was $2,749-$150=$2,599.

Cali

7. benpatient thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah, that's what it was...i just remember seeing 2599 in red last thursday.

and then friday when i'm ready to push the button, they've put it back to 2799...i know that the 2599 was WITH the rebate, and 2799 is without it, but the rebate is 150 dollars, so obviously that doesn't add up all the way...

and for some reason, even though the rebate is still there, they weren't showing the price with the rebate on Friday...just the regular one.

I guess it's just 50 bucks, but that's 50 bucks closer to an 8800gt direct from apple...

8. JackButler macrumors member

I missed that one too.

If the price changes again within 30 days of your purchase, they will refund you the difference... I was refunded 2x on a Nikon DSLR purchase from them late last year. The price on that kept going up and down before and after I had bought the camera. So if you buy from them, keep your eye on the product page now & then.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I guess too many people are buying the same config and taking advantage of the rebate.

10. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

When on Amazon and you see the right price just click to buy !!!

They update so often it's easy to miss a great deal !!!

11. benpatient thread starter macrumors 68000

the problem is of course that "just click and buy when you see the right price" doesn't work for most people when dropping nearly $3K onto a credit card!

by the way, i did purchase on Friday, and filled out the rebate this morning, so if the price drops in the next month, I'll be waiting...

12. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

You get a remote? I got no remote. :mad:

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

Why would the Mac Pro come with a remote? It doesn't have an IR receiver so wouldn't a remote be pointless?

14. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

That is what I was thinking. haha

15. JackButler macrumors member

Yep, that's the reason... also the luck (or un-luck) with the XTI cards that people have been reporting here. I was waiting for good feed back after the last update fix. I'm still waiting.

I won't buy from Apple as I am in CA, so with amazon at least I get No tax & free shipping.

16. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Well, what happened was, they knew you were coming. :)

17. Roy macrumors 6502

But I thought the whole idea of the rebate was to get people to buy the computer. Not the other way around. Maybe I'm missing something here?:confused:

18. UK2TX2CA macrumors newbie

The rebate was to make sure that you don't send the MP back to Amazon ( it's mentioned in the terms of the rebate ).