Amazon Prime Day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LadyX, Jul 15, 2015.

1. LadyX, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

What a major letdown. Seriously, the deals have not been great. Useless products. Nothing of interest. Quantity over quality. What do you think? Anyone here buy something? If so, what did you get?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I agree with you about the amount of hype versus noteworthy bargains. I saw nothing that appealed to me.

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

There were three planes with Amazon banner behind it flying here the whole day.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I picked up a Kingsman: The Secret Service blu-ray for $9.99. Nothing else looked that great, though.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So many Prime members, I wouldn't expect great deals.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So far, absolutely terrible. The best thing I've seen so far was TwelveSouth's BookArc for the MBA and MBP being $30 (50% off). Outside of that, there was nothing of interest that wasn't cheaper elsewhere.

For example: I'm looking at the Vizio E50-C1 50" Smart HDTV. Amazon has it for $528 with next-day shipping with Prime.

Well.. Sam's Club has the same TV on sale for $478, and I can walk out the door with it. Plus, with the extra $70 I have coming back from Sam's, I could get this for $120 cheaper.

Additionally, Amazon is selling the Refurb Vizio S3851w-D4B 38-Inch 5.1 Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer and Rear Satellite Speakers for $150. That's the 2013/2014 model. For $50 more, I can get the this year's model at Sam's again.

All in all, these aren't really good sales at all, and I'm glad I waited.

BL.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This sucks. Every book I'm interested in is the same price.

10. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

That $79 Fire HD 6" isn't a bad deal, though. For basically the price of the normal Kindle e-reader you get a full fledged mini-tablet. If you're already vested in the Amazon ecosystem it's basically a steal.

11. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

And they said it would be better than Black Friday. Not even close.

12. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

I was able to get some red wings at 30% off. Not a super great deal but I couldn't find them on sale anywhere.

13. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I found nothing that would make me buy. A lot of useless things that I have no interest on.

14. nitromac macrumors 6502

bought the lord of the rings bluray trilogy, already had the DVD one but figured $25 for a 1080p upgrade was worth it considering how good the movies are.

Also bought a $5 stylus for drawing stuff on ipad.

Otherwise it was a pretty big letdown. A few really expensive things with pretty good discounts, and a ton of random things (organic coconut oil??) with underwhelming discounts. I kept up with the deals throughout the day and most of the stuff I actually wanted (basically a 64gb usb drive and a usb battery thing) was sold out within half a second. I literally waited for "add to cart" to appear after the countdown and as soon as I clicked it said I was placed on the waitlist.

Deals weren't that great either, $5 off a regularly $50 item? that's not really "black friday" material

15. BasicGreatGuy, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If Amazon had offered discounts on most all of their current offerings, even if the discount wasn't always 30% - 50%, I believe it may have been better received by current prime members and those in consideration.

As it stands, I saw nothing that said, 'you are missing out on not being a prime member, because we appreciate and like rewarding those who spend their hard-earned money with us.' What I did see, was Amazon trying to clear out inventory on a lot of items that were frought with bad customer reviews.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I saw something about this on TV earlier today. Apparently the reason why most of you saw nothing but crap was because the good deals were snagged up and delisted within seconds of their showing.

But whether there were great deals gone too quickly, or middling deals barely worth the hype, this whole stunt hasn't done much to sell me on the idea of Amazon Prime.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They had the basic Kindle for $49. But other than these couple of things, I didn't see anything worth buying.

18. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

My biggest gripe with this whole sale was that products were too hard to find. They did a terrible job of making your purchase easy, and I thought that was what they did best. I scrolled thru pages and pages of crap to maybe find one interesting item. To my eyes, they just slapped a cheaper price on all the **** that wasn't selling and called it a sale. Too random and too little of the things I'm interested in purchasing. So I think... I may just not have been able to find the good stuff...

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No.. it wasn't you. There wasn't much of any good stuff, let alone good stuff on sale. I think Gizmodo called it right:

You'd have a much better time on Prime day writing out the first 100 prime numbers.

BL.

20. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Meh. I found a few good things each time I looked throughout the day, but the best deal was getting an additional $20 off the discounted price by putting a purchase on my Amazon rewards card.

Ended up buying:
    -14pc (Really 7pc + lids) Pyrex dish set for $28.00, which I though was a reasonable deal considering the casserole dishes are about $12 on their own.
    -Logitech Performance Mouse MX for $40, not a huge discount but I need to replace my crap mouse at work and will get reimbursed for this later.
    -Victorinox 8pc Forschner knife block set for a out the door price of $80 (after some stacked discounts), which are good commercial style knives.

21. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

That was expected from a store that sells everything. :rolleyes: I do have a look occasionally at the lightning deals, and today's seemed like any other day's.

I didn't renew Prime this year. Hilariously enough they're offering it to me for half off now.

22. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm not a prime member. They were offering a discount earlier in the week in anticipation of Prime day. So glad I saved my money. Amazon are a horrible company. Yes I use them, but not to the point where I want to pay them money for the privilege.
    They pay little to no taxes in my country and screw over their suppliers at every opportunity.
    Their marketing emails are also a joke. Their profiling of me as a customer is so way off. I'm never going to buy handbags or ladies shoes!

23. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, they were promoting it as bigger then black friday, and to me it seemed like they were holding a garage sale getting rid of old stuff or odd things that no one really wanted

25. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Exactly. Also this got me wondering, if this is Prime US, what were the deals like in the other 8 countries (UK, Spain, Germany, Japan, ...). Pretty sure worse.