Amazon Prime day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Jul 12, 2016.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any folks here taking advantage of Prime day?

I decided to upgrade my kindle, to a 300dpi paperwhite model. I had a very old kindle, so I'm looking forward to using this at nigh in low light conditions (something my kindle couldn't do.)

I got it for 89, and that's been about the best price I've seen in a long time.
    2016-07-12_6-34-49.png

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

3. deany macrumors 68030

deany

If you buy a £30.00 voucher you get £5.00 credit, so if you use amazon a lot it's a free fiver.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I've been looking but I can't find a single thing I need or want.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm looking at getting a Voyage. The Prime deal is $50 off which is 25% off the regular price.

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I got seven Pyrex storage bowls w/ plastic lids for $14 (including the prime deal price less a 7.85 ebook credit). They’re nice, I’ve bought them before but more expensively, the package has one 7-cup, two 4-cup and four 2-cup containers. First time i bothered w/ any Prime Day deals. I love these for temporary storage of advance-prepared vegetables for stir fries, cooked grains, etc.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm not and will never be a prime member :).

That being said, I highly recommend the paperwhite Kindle and you got a good deal. Note: Amazon has been in the process of clearing out it's paperwhite stock for their latest Kindle.

8. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I backed into my membership, for good or bad. I tried their 30 day promotional prime membership for free, but like so many things in life. Something shiny distracted me and I completely forgot about it and it auto-renewed to the full paid membership. I took full advantage of that mistake this past Christmas and did my complete holiday shopping on amazon. Save some decent money and largely avoided the malls :D

I've been aching to upgrade my Kindle for some time, so I'm happy I finally took the plunge.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I was trying to take advantage of the $30 off $150 promotion with the Amazon Rewards card, but as I was putting stuff into my cart this morning, the availability of stuff kept changing around and the code wouldn't apply to stuff that wasn't shipped by Amazon. It would have been a steal as I have credit just sitting around. Oh well.

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I shop a lot on Amazon but I buy in batches to get the free shipping without Amazon prime. It takes a little longer to receive orders that way but it still gets here in a timely manner.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I bet they get a good percentage of their prime members that way!
    A lot of the guys at work use one prime account. I don't buy enough things (from Amazon or otherwise) to bother.

12. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely. I think I may keep it, though. Between the wife and myself. I think we can justify the purchase..

I'm finding value in it, including discounted PS4 games.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This was how I got hooked into a Prime membership...four years ago. We use ours plenty, I don't really mind paying for it.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I just noticed Norton Anti virus has taken money out of my account on some auto renew scam. I'll have to contact them for a cancellation and refund. Grrrrr.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I picked up a Life Straw at a 25% discount. I wanted to get one for everyone in my family, but unfortunately, it was limited to one per customer.

16. AtikCzaTok macrumors newbie

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I saw that deal right about the time I had to check out or lose my price on the deal in my cart. I wouldn't mind having a Life Straw on a shelf at the ready.

18. deany macrumors 68030

deany

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I was loading up my cart all day with cheap stuff but didn't reach the $150 threshold to take $30 off (Amazon Visa promotion) and I never clicked the buy button.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

And you weren't even signed in...? Bezos' worst nightmare. Nary a breadcrumb of potential profit. Loitering while anonymous.

21. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife decided to purchase a Shark Vacuum (model NV501) for 201, but two things seemed to stick out to me.
    First the price, its only 50 dollars cheaper then if you were to buy the vacuum on sharkclean.com and that 250 purchase price is a newer model the NV70. If you search for NV501, you can see it be purchased at Lowes for 229 or bestbuy for 219.

And that amazon purchase had an odd shipping estimate (From 08/03 to 09/08). I told my wife to cancel it and we'll buy it direct for 259. We'll get more attachments, and a steam cleaner for that slightly higher price.

22. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I picked up a set of Jaybird X2 earbuds ($79 I think). I believe they're normally around $150?

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I looked several times yesterday, and didn't see anything that really caught my eye.

24. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

This. Amazon knows that you'll spend more with Prime and have seen the data that proves it. Prime causes too much impulse buying. I would never, ever get Prime but all of you should. I am an Amazon shareholder.