Amazon Prime streaming HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by medic27, Aug 2, 2014.

1. medic27 macrumors member

I know there was an issue where amazon prime would not stream hd videos on macbook airs, only SD. Is this still an issue?

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've been using Amazon Prime Video for a while now but mostly on my iPad using Airplay to view on my Sony Bravia TV. The Amazon Prime site lists portable devices that can play HD. The iPad and Mini are both on the list but it is not specific to the Retina models. They don't seem to list computers although the newer Airs certainly have the resolution and processing power to play at the very least 720p video. I've been watching the 24 series (I don't recall the earlier seasons having been broadcast in HD but were what was called 480p Fox Widescreen iirc) but they may have been later upconverted. I know the later seasons were broadcast in HD. They look great on my iPad and TV. I couldn't really tell if they weren't HD.

3. campyguy macrumors 68040

I've given up on streaming Prime Video on my Mac - I have an old iPad 3 and an iPad Air to go with my ATV, and either iPad's streaming via Airplay looks SO much better than anything on my Mac. That, and my Mac always chokes sooner or later on an HD video while my iPads never do.

I've kept my iPad 3 just for email monitoring and Airplay for Netflix and Prime video - the thing is a tank but it works great! My GF has a Roku for Prime video and it works great too. Give up on your Mac for Prime video - the future costs of therapy aren't worth it...