Amazon Prime Video apps issues only on Sundays.

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by tonyr6, Feb 19, 2018.

1. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

This is weird I can use the Prime Video app fine Monday through Saturday but come Sunday night the quality keeps dropping down from 1080p to SD. It also takes longer to buffer. I also can't even seek through the video without it buffering. I am forced to use my 3rd gen FTV dongle which works fine except I hate the dongle because of audio drop outs and annoying forced trailers to there dump originals that play before the start of the video (back out and load the video again stops that) I don't care about.

The other days of the week it starts right away in HD. I can seek through the videos no issues. Come Sunday the video app is abysmal. Before anyone says no it is not a DNS issue, my speeds are still a constant 70mbps down 5mpbs up. I also rebooted the Apple TV too.

2. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Is this the only app that does this? Have you tested others?

3. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Others like Hulu (watch all the time) and Netflix (watch very little) are fine. Since I barely watch Netflix anymore I did test it last night watching something short in HD and it was fine.

4. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

I know you say it's not the provider, but it sure sounds like network traffic congestion. Sunday evenings are the most likely time frame where everyone is at home and using bandwidth, and maybe Amazon Video servers get hit the hardest? For whatever reason, Amazon Prime Video seems to be the most sensitive to network congestion issues, or at least that is what we have found in our home. If you had this issue at random, I'd say it was a hardware/software issue, but the fact that it's consistently on Sunday nights sure makes it sound like an ISP problem. Is the ATV on a wired connection? Anyone else streaming at the same time?