Amazon Recalling 260,000 'AmazonBasics' Power Banks Due to Overheating Risk

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

If you've purchased an Amazon-branded power bank from Amazon recently, you should be aware of a recall that Amazon issued today due to reports of overheating. Amazon has received 53 reports about defective power banks that have, in a few cases, led to chemical burns and property damage.

Affected AmazonBasics models that are part of the recall are listed here: 16,100 mAh; 10,000 mAh; 5,600 mAh; 2,000 mAh with micro USB cable; 3,000 mAh and 3,000 mAh with USB micro cable. All impacted units are rubberized or metallic power banks with the AmazonBasics logo printed on the front of the unit.

[​IMG]

These Amazon-branded power banks are affordable options that many Apple customers users may have purchased to charge their iPhones and iPads.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, which shared details on the recall, consumers should immediately unplug any recalled power banks and contact Amazon for details on how to return them for a full refund.

Amazon is sending out emails to all customers who might have purchased one of the faulty power banks.

Article Link: Amazon Recalling 260,000 'AmazonBasics' Power Banks Due to Overheating Risk

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

AmazonBasics Power Bomb

Returning them should be interesting as USPS, UPS, and FedEx aren't looking to ship what could potentially be a fire bomb.

3. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65832

thisisnotmyname

prepare for literal dumpster fires as people throw them out instead. :p

4. rcooked macrumors member

Bummer. I have four and they have worked flawlessly. Guess could have been an even better smokin deal!

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Its Deja vu in a Samsung dream, except Samsung isn't playing the lead role in this Amazonian dream.

6. robbieleffel macrumors newbie

robbieleffel

7. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

“These Amazon-branded power banks are affordable options that many Apple customers users may have purchased to charge their iPhones and iPads.”

8. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

At first glance I thought they were talking about a 260,000 mAh power bank. I was like... dang, I didn't know they even made 'em that big.

9. fairuz macrumors 6502a

fairuz

This is one of the reasons why I don't use power banks. I'll just charge my phone once every 2 days instead of carrying around a potential chemical bomb.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Because this type of news should be spread directly to all consumers who purchased this product for safety reasons, being MacRumors is a tech site, there are those who may have purchased this product that could be directly affected without knowing until they read this article. This news Doesn’t have to be related to “Apple”, as it’s related to personal safety.

11. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

You gotta be careful with Amazon basics. Some of it is just rebranded Chinese garbage.

12. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

Ah ... I thought Alexa could've warned their customers about this ... guess she's not that smart after all ;)

/cheeky.

13. now i see it macrumors 68000

Lithium ion strikes again. This battery chemistry is inherently dangerous.

14. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

You get what you pay for.

“But Apple is so greedy”

Now you know why. It costs money to test products.

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Your phone could blow up too, plenty of cases that happened.

Any chemistry package that holds a charge is potentially dangerous, one more so as the other though.

16. fairuz, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

fairuz macrumors 6502a

fairuz

It's extremely unlikely with an iPhone. There's way more scrutiny there. Power banks are wild west. Also, they're a lot bigger.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2018 ---
    Well, she kept laughing randomly. I guess that was foreshadowing.

17. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I've had a Kmashi power bank overheat, melt the plastic, and let out some fumes. Haven't had an Anker battery die on me but I know someone who says one did - but I've had a lot of these and they're usually above average.

Never bought AmazonBasics' batteries. Can't find them anymore on Amazon (makes sense I guess).

I've taken apart li-ion batteries before for fun (in controlled experiments with safety gear) - that fruity smell it gives is just strange.

Love having 4-5 Anker external batteries hanging around. With my 21 watt Anker panels - I figure during the Zombie Apocalypse I'd be able to keep my Day One journal going for awhile and take pictures. <cough> :p.

Hopefully they find a way to recycle these :(.

18. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

You're phone has the same "potential chemical bomb" IN IT ALREADY! Yet you don't think twice about it, do you?

19. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

They must be using the leftover batteries from the Samsung Note 7's hehe...

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If your phone lasts you 2 days without charging then you barely use it lol

21. fairuz macrumors 6502a

fairuz

IDK. I'm in contact with all my friends and my 2 jobs. Either way, can't imagine it lasting less than 1 day for anyone. iPhone 8 supposedly lasts through 12 hours of internet usage or 13 of video streaming on LTE.

22. ocnitsa macrumors regular

To be fair, Amazon is recalling them. Not ignoring it, then secretly throttling back the batteries, then replacing them for a discount. Etc....

23. cfurlin macrumors regular

cfurlin

Well, some of us are not Millenials so we know how to walk and talk without shoving our faces in our phones 24/7.

24. doctor-don macrumors 65816

But these carriers WILL transport Li-ion batteries and related items as long as they are marked as such.
    Careful! You're close to legal retribution.
    Not exactly true. Some people use their phones as … PHONES … and not all the other things that phones are used to do today.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2018 ---
    AmazonBasics batteries ARE available on Amazon in AA and AAA sizes in either alkaline or rechargeable flavors. Do your own searching if you want other sizes.
    No AmazonBasics Charger / Power Bank is available now.

25. tech3475, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

tech3475 macrumors 6502

Ill need to check mine, got it for free a couple of years ago during a prime promotion.

Edit:

And I cant register through the site because I have an international phone number.

Guess Ill have to contact support.