Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

855668_larger.png
Amazon is planning on launching a new standalone music streaming service that would compete against Apple Music and Spotify, reports Reuters. The new service will be priced similarly to rival services and will feature a "competitive catalog."
The service will be offered at $9.99 per month, in line with major rivals, and it will offer a competitive catalog of songs, the sources said. Amazon is finalizing licenses with labels for the service, which likely will be launched in late summer or early fall, the sources said.
Amazon currently offers Prime Music to Amazon Prime members as a perk, but the service only boasts a catalog of 1 million songs. Comparatively, both Apple Music and Spotify boast catalogs of over 30 million songs.

The online retailer is looking to launch a new streaming service because it "believes a comprehensive music service is important" in its effort to be a "one-stop shop for content and goods." Amazon Prime, in addition to free shipping options, currently offers subscribers access to the Prime Video streaming service, Prime Music, unlimited photo storage and the Kindle Owner's Lending Library, which includes 800,000 free ebooks.

Reuters suggests Amazon's music strategy will be two-pronged, with basic streaming for Prime users and a more robust alternative for an extra fee. Amazon recently debuted Amazon Prime Video as a standalone service, allowing users to subscribe for $8.99 a month without paying for the full $99 Amazon Prime bundle. The standalone Prime Video service is identical to the service offered with Amazon Prime.

Amazon Music with Prime Music, the company's current music app, is free on the App Store and allows users to play their digital music purchased from Amazon.com. The app also allows Prime members to listen to its catalog of a million songs ad-free as well as curated playlists and radio stations.

Article Link: Amazon Reportedly Preparing to Launch New Music Streaming Service

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Have to bring to other countries other than USA if they want to compete.

Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Good, more competition is always better for the consumers.
They're going to have the same songs that Apple Music and Spotify have. I highly doubt the quality of their tracks are going to be better than either of those services. Outside of possible exclusives what competition is Amazon going to bring?

Reactions: Solomani
Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
Amazon goes into streaming? Not unexpected, but given Amazon sells a ton of music simply unavailable in Apple Music and iTunes Store, I think there might be customers using it.

Again, streaming means "once label pulls out access, user lose everything. No exception"
Purchasing means "I can still listen to my loved songs, regardless of being pulled by label or not.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Hard to see how another entrant into this market will improve anything. They don't offer meaningfully different products, so if I had/wanted Apple Music/Spotify, how would this be better? And if I didn't, how would this appeal to me any more than those services do?

Comment

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
This is great!
Every time that rumor came out that Apple would discontinue iTunes downloads to force everyone onto :apple:Music there were always people commenting things like "if this is true then i guess ill just buy my mp3s from amazon now. bye apple!".

Now Amazon is supposedly rolling out their own streaming music service as well!
Hopefully Amazon will discontinue downloads too just for good measure! Haha! :D

Comment

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I use Amazon and their affiliated products quite often and I'm a Prime member... But even this has me scratching my head. Why on earth would I change from my Apple Music family plan? What possible difference is Amazon offering?

Comment

canadianreader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Yay, the world needs more streaming music services?

Spotify will do for me.

Yeah me too especially I am not into big names at all kind of immune to this exclusive BS. Also my phone provider gave me 2 years spotify for free :)

If you're in Canada Fido gives you spotify free for 2 years with any plan

image.jpeg

Comment

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Cool if this comes with prime then bye bye Apple Music (and especially the Apple Music app that cost me so many nerves..).
[doublepost=1465628938][/doublepost]
I use Amazon and their affiliated products quite often and I'm a Prime member... But even this has me scratching my head. Why on earth would I change from my Apple Music family plan? What possible difference is Amazon offering?
Again, a better app could be enough. And that is a very easy task.

Reactions: JimmyJimmyYam
Comment

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Free streaming with T Mobile will prevent me from paying the going rate. $10.00 a month is high. Songs I discover and like, I'll buy and include in my own playlists for offline listening.

Comment

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel

They're probably hoping that some number of people will want to go 'all in' with Amazon services: kindle tablet, Amazon Prime video and music, books, etc. Like most things they do it'll be half-baked, and me-too. It's like watching a team that only throws hail-marys, and has no running game at all.

But there are a few Amazon fanboys/girls out there.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.