Amazon restocking fee question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockyroad55, May 15, 2011.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I recently got a MBP from Amazon and want to exchange it for an iMac. I got a MBP because at the time of purchase, the iMacs were shipping with an 8-9 day processing delay. Now, they are shipping within 24 hours.

Problem is, I do not want to return if I have to pay the restocking fee since it won't be worth the money. Has anyone here gotten Amazon to waive the fee before?

2. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

put the blame on them.. say that the packaging was damaged or it arrived too late.. it is an automated return system..

3. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

True but the purchase was made on the 6th so wouldn't they question it?

4. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

I don't think they do.. I haven't done this with expensive items but have done it many times with sub $100 purchases.

5. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

Probably not, but why not just contact them and politely explain why you made the purchase, what made you change your mind, and why you want to return it now? I have done this in the past and I always get a thoughtful reply back letting me know that they'll make an exception & there will be no restocking fee or return shipping costs.

You could just blame them and get an automatic return or you can spend 5 minutes to return the MacBook Pro in an ethical manner. Who do you want to be today?

Good luck!

6. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

So i did call and ask nicely but they said "how about you return the item first and when we receive it and issue you the refund, if it is not suitable, you contact us back and work out the details."

I do not like the sound of that at all, I mean, what if they actually refund me the 85% of the purchase and if I do not agree, they won't send me back my original MacBook and I'm screwed since I already returned the item. I even offered to have them NOT refund me and just charge me the difference for the iMac just so I can show them that I am not lying to just take my refund and go somewhere else. I'm thinking to forget about it now or should I call and speak with someone higher up?

They also already made notes on the account and such so there blaming them would do nothing too. Poo.

7. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Amazon's customer service is typically unmatched - I would call back and try again.

8. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Exactly what I thought too, they have never failed to meet my expectations in the past. I'll try again and report back, thanks for the help!

9. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Give them another chance - they are usually very accommodating. One of the big reasons I do business with them.

10. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

oops

11. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I bought, and returned, a Windows laptop to Amazon a few months ago and received a full refund so I don't believe the retailer charges a restocking fee.

12. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Amazon.com's customer service is simply exceptional. Not on a single occasion during the last 10 years, have I had any problem with them. Sure I have given them good business, but they have always returned the favor by offering free shipping and full refund returns, even when the return was my fault.

I would send the mbp back without any reservation. They will return your money to your satisfaction. If you're not happy, just email the customer service and they will sort it out.

Companies like Amazon, Newegg and Apple know why it is important to maintain excellent customer service which is exactly why they are successful.