Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today announced the Echo Show 5, the latest Echo device with a 5.5-inch display, more compact design, and privacy-focused voice controls for Alexa. Echo Show 5 is priced at $89.99 and is set to launch on June 26, 2019.

Amazon's Echo Show devices have speakers and a touchscreen, aimed at letting customers watch the news via apps like NBC and Reuters, look at the weather, or make video calls. Echo Show 5 continues this idea, and Amazon even pointed out that you can use the device to listen to music via Apple Music, thanks to recent integration.

echo-show-5.jpg

Like other Echo devices, Echo Show 5 can also act as a smart home hub so that you can say things like "Alexa, turn on the lights," or use on-screen display controls to adjust brightness levels. Smart camera feeds can be viewed on the display, as well as thermostat levels and more. Echo Show 5 also supports two-way talk functionality with Ring doorbell cameras.

If you use the Echo Show 5 as an alarm clock, the device's display will naturally brighten and show a sunrise animation before the alarm goes off. At that time, you can set a routine that displays the weather forecast for the day, the morning news, and more on the Echo Show 5 screen.
"Since we launched the first Echo Show device, customers have told us they love asking Alexa to show them things--whether it's a recipe for banana bread, their shopping list, or music lyrics. With Echo Show 5, we've made it even easier and affordable for customers to add a smart display to every room of their house," said Tom Taylor, Senior Vice President, Amazon Alexa.

"The compact form factor is perfect for a bedside table or desk, plus it has a camera shutter for added peace of mind, and new Alexa privacy features for even more control."
When not in use, you can set personal photos to act as a home screen on the Echo Show 5, or connect to Facebook to play a slideshow of photos as a screensaver. Echo Show 5 can connect to family members who own an Echo Spot or Echo Show, have the Alexa mobile app, or use Skype. Within the same house, if you own multiple Alexa devices you can also use the drop-in feature to quickly speak to other Alexa speakers.

In terms of privacy, Amazon touched on a variety of security options in its announcement today. First, the company pointed out that Echo Show 5 includes a microphone/camera off button that electronically disconnects both the microphone and camera, along with a visual indicator that shows when audio or video is streaming to the cloud. The device also has a camera shutter so you can easily cover the camera.

echo-show-5-image-2.jpg

Second, Amazon has introduced an easy way to delete your voice recordings on all of your Alexa devices: you can say, "Alexa, delete everything I said today." Afterwards, the company will delete the respective recordings. In the near future, you'll be able to delete your last request by saying, "Alexa, delete what I just said."

The Echo Show 5 is available to pre-order today in Charcoal and Sandstone for $89.99. The device will then launch in June in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia. India will see a launch in July, and Mexico will come at a later date.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Amazon Reveals 'Echo Show 5' With New Design and Alexa Commands for Deleting Voice Recordings

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
One word: Privacy

There's no way I am going to put an Amazon Echo device in my bedroom, especially with a camera. Yes, it has a slider for closing the camera lens. Then why am I paying for a camera that I would never use? Even if Amazon makes a version without the camera, it is always listening and their past practices are disturbing. I have an Echo at home and it gets triggered very easily on anything that sounds even remotely like Alexa.

Also, this looks really ugly. Circular Echo Spot was way cuter looking.

Having said that, I would love for Apple to make a HomePod in this configuration.

Reactions: 480951

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Alexa! Delete what I just said! Omg! I’m rolling on the floor!!!

That’s a response to all those conspiracy theory tin foil hat nutters out there, who after yesterday’s news are busy disabling their background app refresh on all their iOS apps, then realising their apps aren’t working as well..... oh and then they’ll go and post on Facebook :rolleyes:

Personally I think this is a cool device for the more privacy obsessed tin foil hat nutter individuals.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006

There's no way I am going to put an Amazon Echo device in my bedroom, especially with a camera. Yes, it has a slider for closing the camera lens. Then why am I paying for a camera that I would never use? Even if Amazon makes a version without the camera, it is always listening and their past practices are disturbing. I have an Echo at home and it gets triggered very easily on anything that sounds even remotely like Alexa.

Having said that, I would love for Apple to make a HomePod in this configuration.

One question for the announcement of this product, why? It resembles a smart phone that has the functionality already.

It seems a lot of these companies are just releasing products to see what sticks to the wall with consumer acceptance and causing environmental damage and CO2 emissions wastefully.

I was under the impression that a smart phone would merge many stand alone devices, services into a clean unified package. It seems we are going backwards, what next a stand alone telephone :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1559147968][/doublepost]
That’s a response to all those conspiracy theory tin foil hat nutters out there, who after yesterday’s news are busy disabling their background app refresh on all their iOS apps, then realising their apps aren’t working as well..... oh and then they’ll go and post on Facebook :rolleyes:

Personally I think this is a cool device for the more privacy obsessed tin foil hat nutter individuals.

Give a company an inch and their will take a yard. How many chances has Facebook, etc have been given. I thought so.

Last edited:

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Why have an extra small screen when you have a big one already? Would be better if it would run on the TV. My TV is always on and pictures from the Apple TV are running all the time as a screensaver. If I wanted to use Siri to show me something I would prefer the big TV screen.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Why have an extra small screen when you have a big one already? Would be better if it would run on the TV. My TV is always on and pictures from the Apple TV are running all the time as a screensaver. If I wanted to use Siri to show me something I would prefer the big TV screen.

That would require having your TV on all the time. I use my show for a baby monitor and to show my Ring camera when someone is at the front door. I certainly don't want to keep my TV on for that. If you really wanted to display something on the TV, I believe the Amazon fire stick will do that (though I don't have one).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
One question for the announcement of this product, why? It resembles a smart phone that has the functionality already.

It seems a lot of these companies are just releasing products to see what sticks to the wall with consumer acceptance and causing environmental damage and CO2 emissions wastefully.

I was under the impression that a smart phone would merge many stand alone devices, services into a clean unified package. It seems we are going backwards, what next a stand alone telephone :rolleyes:
While smartphones can do everything Smart Home Displays (SHD) can do, there are some compelling benefits to SHD.

SHD is essentially voice assistant above all else. So they tend to have better microphones and speakers, for more reliable voice assistant interaction.

And the fact that they are stationary make them more reliable hub for your bedroom. They also tend to have always on display, so at a simple glance you can see things like timer status, weather, date and time, breaking news, and smart home status.

iPads can also be used as SHD, but they are much more expensive. I would love Apple designed SHD.

Reactions: Bswails

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I have several Sonos One speakers which support Alexa. At first I found it really cool and fun to have that feature, but eventually disabled Alexa altogether as I just don't trust that privacy is properly protected with something like this and I don't wanna feel like under constant surveillance. Even more so since the news broke about how certain Amazon employees apparently can listen to on recordings from Alexa.

Give me a voice assistant that works offline. With Majel Barretts voice! Computer, red alert!

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
While smartphones can do everything Smart Home Displays (SHD) can do, there are some compelling benefits to SHD.

SHD is essentially voice assistant above all else. So they tend to have better microphones and speakers, for more reliable voice assistant interaction.

And the fact that they are stationary make them more reliable hub for your bedroom. They also tend to have always on display, so at a simple glance you can see things like timer status, weather, date and time, breaking news, and smart home status.

iPads can also be used as SHD, but they are much more expensive. I would love Apple designed SHD.

People are mobile, take their phones with them wherever their go. This seems like a wasteful product looking for a problem to solve.

I don’t notice wall clock in many homes or businesses unless it is an antique grandfather clock. How many people have paper calendars hung on the wall? Just another IoT device looking to fill a futuristic concept that exists on a smartphone. If you are looking for updates weather, news, etc it all exists in your phone, plus one less thing connected to your wall outlet.

If ones home internet is down or the electricity goes out, this product will not function as intended. Your smartphone has cell service and a built-in battery.

How much natural resources is being wasted to produce this product, mining, refining, production, storage, shipping, etc. Be happy with the device in your pocket. Reminds me of the two TV, then computers, etc days.

Wasteful junk to add to a landfill in a few years when a new one is released.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I will probably get one at some point if I can think of a use case. I have either an echo, homepod or google home in every room of my house already. However I'm really interested in AI and voice assistants and where they are going. Thats seems to be where most of the innovation is now.

It's a bit small though. Smaller than even my xs max.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
People are mobile, take their phones with them wherever their go. This seems like a wasteful product looking for a problem to solve.

I don’t notice wall clock in many homes or businesses unless it is an antique grandfather clock. How many people have paper calendars hung on the wall? Just another IoT device looking to fill a futuristic concept that exists on a smartphone. If you are looking for updates weather, news, etc it all exists in your phone, plus one less thing connected to your wall outlet.

If ones home internet is down or the electricity goes out, this product will not function as intended. Your smartphone has cell service and a built-in battery.

How much natural resources is being wasted to produce this product, mining, refining, production, storage, shipping, etc. Be happy with the device in your pocket. Reminds me of the two TV, then computers, etc days.

Wasteful junk to add to a landfill in a few years when a new one is released.
As I said earlier, smartphones can certainly do the job. But it is also Jack of all trades, master of none (or few).

Your phone can browse the web. But is the experience as good as tablet or computer?

Your phone can stream video. But is the experience as good as TV?

Your phone can play game. But is the experience as good as gaming console?

Your phone has an eBook reader app. But is the experience as good as e-Ink eBook reader?

In terms of alarm clock, yes, your phone does the job and yes, it can work during the power outage. But if you want to talk about edge cases, it's not like the phone isn't prone to issues like running out of battery power, alarm failing due to a bug, phone is lost or broken, and you simply forgot to put it next to you before going to sleep.

To me, an alarm clock is a gadget that I can glance to check the time whenever I want to. While I can say "Hey Siri, what time is it?" in the middle of the night, it's disruptive if you aren't sleeping alone. Smart voice assistants tend to have far better microphone and always on screen shows date and time, weather, and important alerts.

Or if your home has smart devices, it is very convenient to use your voice to do things like turn on/off the lights and close the garage door. And the screen can show security cameras, baby monitor, and status of motion sensors, door lock, and garage door.

Having said that, and going back to my original argument, I would much rather have Apple-designed Smart Home Display. Not only for ecosystem and aesthetics, but because I value privacy.

Uobio

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2016
Spain

Yeah, I mean I know Google tracks your searches and all that but it’s their business; they use it for ad filtering. I know Amazon store your voice commands for voice recognition improvement. I know they (whoever) track your gps but I don’t think anything of that is personal. I think it’s just data. It’s just algorithms preprogrammed into AI supercomputers that filter data and process it to improve and fine tune the services that (insert your favorite company name here) offers. Apple doesn’t track anything of anybody, well, great but is not like any of the above mentioned companies are watching you (personally). Just think: how many people you need to spy on, let’s say, 1M people. What about 10M, 100M 1000...??????? It just doesn’t make any sense. Or ... does it?

Reactions: Bswails and apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

[doublepost=1559147968][/doublepost]

Give a company an once and their will take a yard. How many chances has Facebook, etc have been given. I thought so.

Facebook was known for its practices years ago, I knew about it all, Amazon offer options about how they handle your data and they actually work.
Apple just advertises privacy, whilst fully supporting and promoting apps that sell your data and track you...
Yeah, I mean I know Google tracks your searches and all that but it’s their business; they use it for ad filtering. I know Amazon store your voice commands for voice recognition improvement. I know they (whoever) track your gps but I don’t think anything of that is personal. I think it’s just data. It’s just algorithms preprogrammed into AI supercomputers that filter data and process it to improve and fine tune the services that (insert your favorite company name here) offers. Apple doesn’t track anything of anybody, well, great but is not like any of the above mentioned companies are watching you (personally). Just think: how many people you need to spy on, let’s say, 1M people. What about 10M, 100M 1000...??????? It just doesn’t make any sense. Or ... does it?

Nope, it’s just about advertising and stats, data others use, basically business. Amazon gives you control over it, but their are laws in place to ensure they don’t mis-use the data, and if they do they are heavily punished.

Reactions: Bswails and Uobio

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
You guys really are nuts with your tin foil conspiracies. It is both sad to read. And laughable at the same time lol. Anyways, I don’t see the point in this. As my ipad can do everything this can do. And i use both Apple and Amazon devices throughout my house. But i find propping up my ipad in the kitchen or bedroom more useful than this device.

bigjay33

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007

Amazon today announced the Echo Show 5, the latest Echo device with a 5.5-inch display, more compact design, and privacy-focused voice controls for Alexa. Echo Show 5 is priced at $89.99 and is set to launch on June 26, 2019.

Amazon's Echo Show devices have speakers and a touchscreen, aimed at letting customers watch the news via apps like NBC and Reuters, look at the weather, or make video calls. Echo Show 5 continues this idea, and Amazon even pointed out that you can use the device to listen to music via Apple Music, thanks to recent integration.

echo-show-5.jpg

Like other Echo devices, Echo Show 5 can also act as a smart home hub so that you can say things like "Alexa, turn on the lights," or use on-screen display controls to adjust brightness levels. Smart camera feeds can be viewed on the display, as well as thermostat levels and more. Echo Show 5 also supports two-way talk functionality with Ring doorbell cameras.

If you use the Echo Show 5 as an alarm clock, the device's display will naturally brighten and show a sunrise animation before the alarm goes off. At that time, you can set a routine that displays the weather forecast for the day, the morning news, and more on the Echo Show 5 screen.
When not in use, you can set personal photos to act as a home screen on the Echo Show 5, or connect to Facebook to play a slideshow of photos as a screensaver. Echo Show 5 can connect to family members who own an Echo Spot or Echo Show, have the Alexa mobile app, or use Skype. Within the same house, if you own multiple Alexa devices you can also use the drop-in feature to quickly speak to other Alexa speakers.

In terms of privacy, Amazon touched on a variety of security options in its announcement today. First, the company pointed out that Echo Show 5 includes a microphone/camera off button that electronically disconnects both the microphone and camera, along with a visual indicator that shows when audio or video is streaming to the cloud. The device also has a camera shutter so you can easily cover the camera.

echo-show-5-image-2.jpg

Second, Amazon has introduced an easy way to delete your voice recordings on all of your Alexa devices: you can say, "Alexa, delete everything I said today." Afterwards, the company will delete the respective recordings. In the near future, you'll be able to delete your last request by saying, "Alexa, delete what I just said."

The Echo Show 5 is available to pre-order today in Charcoal and Sandstone for $89.99. The device will then launch in June in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia. India will see a launch in July, and Mexico will come at a later date.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Amazon Reveals 'Echo Show 5' With New Design and Alexa Commands for Deleting Voice Recordings

I actually am a big fan of competition in the market and let’s face it, Amazon is leading the pack right now in voice activated services. I still want so badly for Apple to come out with improved HomeKit devices. Perhaps Amazon released this intentionally before Apple announces something awesome next week at WWDC? One can hope.

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016

Or at least a version of iOS that converts iPads into SHD. Maybe make a dock that has the capability to convert a tablet into a SHD..like what amazon did with its tablets
[doublepost=1559222584][/doublepost]
I will probably get one at some point if I can think of a use case. I have either an echo, homepod or google home in every room of my house already. However I'm really interested in AI and voice assistants and where they are going. Thats seems to be where most of the innovation is now.

It's a bit small though. Smaller than even my xs max.

What are your use cases for having three different AI at home? I currently have Siri for mobile and GA for home..I would much rather use one for all but apple seems like they don’t care to build out a complete smart home ecosystem
[doublepost=1559222685][/doublepost]
I actually am a big fan of competition in the market and let’s face it, Amazon is leading the pack right now in voice activated services. I still want so badly for Apple to come out with improved HomeKit devices. Perhaps Amazon released this intentionally before Apple announces something awesome next week at WWDC? One can hope.

Seems like Apple would want a ecosystem for the home..i hate having to use two different AI
[doublepost=1559222874][/doublepost]
You guys really are nuts with your tin foil conspiracies. It is both sad to read. And laughable at the same time lol. Anyways, I don’t see the point in this. As my ipad can do everything this can do. And i use both Apple and Amazon devices throughout my house. But i find propping up my ipad in the kitchen or bedroom more useful than this device.

But u still need to interact with your iPad in the kitchen with your fingers..which sometimes maybe not be great(messy hands) having a version of iOS that is design for HomeKit uses would make a lot of sense. More visuals and voice controlling for iOS devices that are designed for primary HomeKit use. Or make a dock that can do this like amazon did

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Or at least a version of iOS that converts iPads into SHD. Maybe make a dock that has the capability to convert a tablet into a SHD..like what amazon did with its tablets
[doublepost=1559222584][/doublepost]

What are your use cases for having three different AI at home? I currently have Siri for mobile and GA for home..I would much rather use one for all but apple seems like they don’t care to build out a complete smart home ecosystem
[doublepost=1559222685][/doublepost]

Seems like Apple would want a ecosystem for the home..i hate having to use two different AI
[doublepost=1559222874][/doublepost]

But u still need to interact with your iPad in the kitchen with your fingers..which sometimes maybe not be great(messy hands) having a version of iOS that is design for HomeKit uses would make a lot of sense. More visuals and voice controlling for iOS devices that are designed for primary HomeKit use. Or make a dock that can do this like amazon did
I have Siri/HomePods because it ties in with my other iOS devices. I can set reminders, add events to my calendar, send messages, make calls, find my iOS devices when I can’t find them at home, use as an audio output for my Apple TV, listen to Apple Music.

I use the echos to listen to by audiobooks, read my kindle books out loud and play games.

I use the google home devices for general queries and to control my chromecast.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I have Siri/HomePods because it ties in with my other iOS devices. I can set reminders, add events to my calendar, send messages, make calls, find my iOS devices when I can’t find them at home, use as an audio output for my Apple TV, listen to Apple Music.

I use the echos to listen to by audiobooks, read my kindle books out loud and play games.

I use the google home devices for general queries and to control my chromecast.

I don't use a Google device, but do have a couple of Echos and use Siri as well - there is not all in one solution that works for me. I suspect this will get more splintered as time goes on and devices get "smarter".

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

I would also, except Siri $ucks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.