Amazon Rolls Out Alexa Device Messaging and Calling to U.K. and Germany

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon is updating its Alexa app today to add support for messaging and calling on Alexa-powered smart devices in the U.K., Germany, and Austria (via The Verge).

[​IMG]
    The second-generation Echo in Charcoal Fabric

The Alexa voice calling feature will work on standard Echo and Echo Dot smart speakers, allowing users to call the devices free of charge. iPhone and Android owners can also use the Alexa app to call the Alexa-powered devices directly.

Amazon's second-generation Echo devices hit Europe on October 31 and support the feature as standard, while video calling is limited to the display-based Echo Show device, which is set to become available in the U.K. and Germany next month.

Article Link: Amazon Rolls Out Alexa Device Messaging and Calling to U.K. and Germany

2. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

Looking forward to trying these new features out.

3. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

4. 576316 macrumors 601

I keep seeing that the new Echo has an interchangeable shell (like the old Dot) but I can’t find any images of what it looks like without a shell.

5. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Maybe they're waiting to also release the French Canadian at the same time? There's only about 8M francophones in the country...that could be a stumbling block for them. Other, more populous languages/regions would come first.

6. Mike Oxard, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Perhaps it looks like a slug?

Has anyone in used this feature in the US? I'd like to know what the call quality is like.

EDIT: Just tried it out, dropped in on the wife in the living room!! Quality was ok from my phone to the echo when she was next to it, it was a bit muffled when she was on the other side of the room.

7. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Some really cool features added here.
    Just set it up but realised I don't know anyone with Alexa!

8. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

very reasonable response. I never considered that.

9. NeilHD macrumors regular

Excellent - no more yelling to my 11-yr old son when he's in his room!

Even better - I can remind him to do his homework whilst I'm still in the office!

EDIT - Actually I'm not sure this works like I thought it might. I was imagining I could send a message from the app to one of my Echos and it would read it, but I can't see how it could do that.