Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Looking to achieve all my blu ray and dvd rips from my house digitally.

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
How frequent will you be accessing them? Cold backup services like Glacier would be more suitable if you rarely need to fetch the data.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Depends on a number of factors.

1. How much storage do you need?

2. Is this just for (a) backup purposes or (b) do you want to play them from storage? If (b) what bandwidth do you need - i.e. a 4K movie can exceed a 100 Mbps bitrate.

3. In the case of 2a Backblaze or Crashplan may offer the cheapest storage if you have a lot of data since they have unlimited storage

4. Keeping a local copy so you can stream immediately usually makes the most sense. It also helps with a 3-2-1 backup strategy.

5. Running from a local disk makes more sense than a NAS in many cases as it a NAS introduces a whole bevy of issues - maintenance, security, bandwidth, speed, capacity, RAID level, etc.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Depends on a number of factors.

1. How much storage do you need?

2. Is this just for (a) backup purposes or (b) do you want to play them from storage? If (b) what bandwidth do you need - i.e. a 4K movie can exceed a 100 Mbps bitrate.

3. In the case of 2a Backblaze or Crashplan may offer the cheapest storage if you have a lot of data since they have unlimited storage

4. Keeping a local copy so you can stream immediately usually makes the most sense. It also helps with a 3-2-1 backup strategy.

5. Running from a local disk makes more sense than a NAS in many cases as it a NAS introduces a whole bevy of issues - maintenance, security, bandwidth, speed, capacity, RAID level, etc.

1. About 10 to 100 TB

2. Mainly backup purposes.

3. Cool but is the software chunky or do I have to use the software ?

4. I will most likely

5. Ok.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
3. Cool but is the software chunky or do I have to use the software ?

Don't know what "chunky" means. The software is easy to use. Backblaze uses a Preferences panel, Crashplan and Carbonite have apps.

1. About 10 to 100 TB

The initial backup for very large backups can take months if your upload speed is low. I have a 40 Mbps limit so the initial backup 62 TB takes months.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.