Amazon Sale Presents New Dilemma - Advice Requested

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paix247, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Paix247 macrumors 6502

With Amazon's just-lowered prices on the high-end Retina model, I have a tough decision to make.

Which is a better value?

My current order of a base model 2.3GHz model upgraded with 16GB of RAM, or the high-end model with stock 8GB of RAM for $170 more?

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Hard decision, did you factor in any discounts you may have and tax? I'm guessing you did. An extra 256GB is nice if you need it but for most people, 256GB is plenty especially with external storage options.

3. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

To be honest, the better question is probably which model meets your actual needs better, and that's something we can't answer without more information. For example, if you're not going to need more than 8 GBs of RAM for the machine's life span (the vast majority of people won't) there's no reason (other than perhaps a boost in resale value) to worry about 16 GBs of RAM).

4. Paix247 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, the price difference was with the final prices for each. I can fit my Aperture library internal with the larger one, which is the biggest benefit of the larger drive.

5. Paix247 thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's a bit more info on my usage. I have to keep it as a main machine for approximately 3 years, I'll use it for Aperture, Photoshop, iMovie, Xcode, Dreamweaver, light dabbling into Adobe Premiere... a general home/business machine.

6. notyourattorney macrumors newbie

I think the storage space is more of a factor than the RAM. From what I've seen in my own usage and read about, 8GB of RAM really is quite a lot, unless you are frequently dealing with processing of very large files. And while an SSD is not as fast as RAM, it is much, much faster than a spinning disk, so the cost of having to swap to virtual memory is not as great as it used to be.

If you are using the machine in multiple locations, external storage is a pain, so you are functionally limited to 256GB in the cheaper model, which is a lot of space, but if you are doing large photoshop/aperture work, will get eaten up. Moreover, even if you have little need for more than 256GB, in 2-3 years when you go to sell it, 256GB is going to look ludicrously tiny, and my expectation is that the resell value delta between the 256/512 versions is going to likely be as great in absolute dollars as the retail price is today--even if 256GB really is a enough, people just aren't going to want to a buy a 256GB non-uprgradeable SSD laptop in a word where 1TB SSDs are common (an assumption, but a safe one, I think).

The same point might be made of the RAM, but SSDs are still relatively immature and capacity is expanding much more rapidly than RAM. 3 years in the SSD market is going to see a lot more change than 3 years in the RAM market.

7. mdapple macrumors regular

SSD might be upgradable in the future via Owc, just a thought

8. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

For your primary home computer, I'd take the storage and just shell out $50 later if you need that extra 8gb in RAM. But also, if your needs dont require that extra stuff then that's $200 you can save. You could use an external for storage. It always seems nice to pay a little more to get the upgrades but honestly most of the time you dont really need it.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Ram can't be upgraded on the rMBP

10. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Ah I missed that. Id go with ram then and use the external and save $200.

11. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'd go with the higher end model. Unless your work requires the higher amount of ram you'll be better served with the other specs.

12. kdoug, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I currently have 2 machines on order from Apple. One like yours and the 2.6, 16GB with 512 SSD. As someone said, adding storage via USB or FireWire is an option, adding memory isn't. From a resale standpoint I honestly believe that extra $200 will pay dividends. It's tempting to break down and buy an 8gb model for instant gratification but I know I myself all to well. I've been much happier with my purchases when I'm patient and get what I want.

Check out this thread;
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1398807

13. wethackrey macrumors 6502

The memory issue is the critical one for me. I ante'd up for a MBPr with 16GB of dram specifically because MBPr memory can't be upgraded.

14. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Same here. I probably don't need 16GB yet, but I specified it since I can see myself wanting it a few years down the road

15. spdntrxi macrumors regular

Really a shame 16 is not available... I'd cancel mine ASAP from apple and go amazon prime no issues..

16. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

stupid question but what does dividends mean?

17. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I used it to imply a a greater return on your investment once you resell it.
    Maybe there's a better term.

18. recharge23 macrumors regular

hm, pretty sure i would go with the base 2.3 with 16gb if i had the same dilemma

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Unless the resale value difference down the line is equal to or greater than $200, then you'll actually lose a bit of money. But I think having the extra memory is worth it from a future proofing standpoint.